“Home from home”

Ranked #2 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was recently treated to a birthday surprise in the heart of bustling Marrakesh, staying at Riad le Clos des Arts. From the moment we were met at the airport by the prearranged driver to being dropped back at the airport we felt welcomed and completely looked after. The Riad is located a short stroll down one of the pedestrianised roads and without that initial guide might have been slightly difficult to find but we were guided expertly by Massimo, who pointed out the key landmarks to watch out for. Arriving at the Riad, we were given a refreshing drink and guided through the important landmarks and special watch-outs of the Medina, we also met Georgina who invited us to eat with them, however we were keen to get stuck into the city as quickly as possible. After quickly inspecting the well proportioned and very well appointed room we would be staying in we headed out.

The room itself contained a four poster bed, large lounging chair (large enough for two people to sit comfortably), two cupboards and the obligatory safe. The bathroom was extremely nice, with a large shower and more than enough space for two people to comfortably get ready for the day or night ahead.

Breakfast is served on the roof terrace, usually a fruit salad and yogurt plus local breads, pancakes or cakes served with fresh orange juice and tea or coffee, and it is here you can relax on one of the sunbeds with a towel, small sheet and sun hat provided. A dip in the small but beautiful plunge pool certainly refreshed in the heat of the mid-day.

Staff are exceptionally polite and helpful and they were more than happy to put up with my mangling of the Arabic language as I tried to string sentences together. The Riad provided lunch for the staff every day and all tips were put into the pot to share out with the whole team from the doorman to the person washing the sheets, which I thought was a very fair system.

People or all persuasions are welcomed to the Riad and I cannot recommend it enough if you are looking for traditional rustic charm in the heart of the old town. Forget staying in an impersonal soulless chain hotel outside the city walls and stay at this home away from home, but they only have a few rooms so make sure you book well in advance!

Room Tip: All rooms are on the first floor looking out on the the central courtyard!
2 Thank SymbioticDiver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Kingswood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had the most lovely long weekend in this beautiful little Riad where Massimo and Georgina did everything possible to make us feel welcome, including giving us useful tips when we arrived, going through the map, places of interest and advice on local culture, shopping and everything. The first night we decided to dine at the Riad, and it was unquestionably the best meal of our stay.

Thank you for a wonderful introduction to Marrakech Massimo and Georgina and all your super staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Burnley
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous stay at this riad. There are so many wonderful things to say about this riad, owners and staff.

The riad is a wonderful, peaceful, gorgeous haven in the hustle and bustle that is Marrakech. Our room was the Rubis - the smallest of the rooms but perfectly formed, from the beautiful style and the lovely local toiletries that are available in the rooms everything was catered for.

The staff in the hotel are simply wonderful - polite, through, friendly and courteous. They work incredibly hard and are really a credit to the riad and the wonderful owners.

We ate at the hotel on our first evening and the dinner was delightful, the staff even stayed till 11pm in order to serve us, this maybe standard protocol in Morocco but every other country we have travelled to the kitchen would have been closed by then. Breakfast was lovely each day, fresh breads, juices, jams etc, everything you need for a good breakfast before hitting the city. Do try Giorgina's lemon and ginger drink it was delicious and so refreshing.

The part that absolutely made our experience was the lovely Giorgina and Massimo it is hard to know where to start with how wonderful they were from Massimo personally meeting us from the taxi walking us to the riad and making us feel at ease, to Giorgina sitting down with us for 40 mins to run through where are where not to go in Marrakech ensuring we did not get lost - invaluable advice in Marrakech, booking tables and taxis, recommending places of interest dependant on us and what we did, the list simply goes on and on. They could not do enough for us.

If you are one of those savvy travelers that believes in sustainable tourism and giving something back to the local community this riad is completely that, the staff are all locals and so is the food sourced and I am sure all the fixtures and fittings are as well. It was clear that Giorgina and Massimo whole heartidly support the local area and was something that was a pleasure to see. That in my view is why the staff were so lovely from the respect they got from the owners.

I spent weeks researching somewhere for our stay in Marrakech and I decided on this based on the reviews if you are looking at this and contemplating this against another riad just book it I GURANTEE you will not be dissapointed.

I do now believe that our time in the riad has spoiled us for any other hotel we ever visit - if only Giorgina and Massimo ran more hotels :-)

Room Tip: They are all beautiful and wonderfully designed you will not be dissapointed whichever you chose. As...
1 Thank Abi H
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Wow. The place has been lovingly restored without glamour or glitz. It felt like an exotic home and Massimo and Georgina are hosts extraordinaire. I wish they ran hotels all over the world. It is a mix of beauty, design and simple elegance. Their dinners for guests are excellent and everything people say is true. One of my best hotel experiences ever and I have travelled the world!
It is also safe and a great way to engage the culture. Forget the big hotels!

Room Tip: Check the web. The pictures are accurate.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This riad is ran by an amazing couple who really love what they do and it shows in every aspect.
From the moment we walked in we felt at home and after being away from home for a while it felt great. Giorgina gave us plenty of helpful info about marakesh (the dos and donts) and massimo made sure i got my dose of medicine when i got sick. There is no place I would rather be if im ever in marakesh again.
A big warm thank you to Giorgina, massimo and the staff
Sandra and Meyer

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank meyer o
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My mother and I spent 3 nights in Riad le Clos des Arts in early June 2014 and had a wonderful time. Massimo, Giorgina and their staff made us feel completely at home while at the same time being so accommodating (especially when my Mum got food poisioning!). The space is beautifully maintained and the oils make it smell amazing. The rooftop terrace is the perfect spot for breakfast and some rest and relaxation after a day exploring. Highly recommend having dinner here at least one night too. You won't be disappointed if you stay here!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Citrine Room which is the smallest (I think). It was absolutely fine though so if y...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I don't think I've read so many positive reviews of any hotel before on Trip Advisor. I've always trusted Trip Advisor in the past, trusted it this time, and was very pleased that I did. I can only echo the majority of the sentiments on here. This Riad is very, very special. It's utterly tranquil with just the burble of the courtyard fountain for company. It's astonishing how close you are to the utter melee of the city, but from only a few hundred yards away, you hear nothing of it. This is exactly my kind of place. I'm still young enough to enjoy the frenetic pace of a place like Marrakech, but old enough to want an escape from it when it suits me, and Riad le Clos des Arts is that place. As many others have stated, Giorgina and Massimo are as special as their accommodation, an utterly charming couple who float gracefully about the Riad in a calm manner, chatting quietly in little corners to their guests and taking 'service' up a notch from anything I've had the pleasure of encountering before. I've always said that you can't teach folk to be courteous and caring, you can always see through such people with ease, Giorgina and Massimo weren't trained to be engaging and thoughtful, they were born that way and they genuinely care about their guests. It was honestly a faultless experience.

4 Thank tsg07ica