“Very misleading”

Ranked #413 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
chicago
“Very misleading”
Reviewed 9 April 2009

I took a four day trip in March, I decided to book this place even after reading the negative reviews. I thought all that can't be true but unfortunately i was mistaken with the exception of the staff. The staffs were very polite and tried to accommodate us as best as possible.

The misleading portion is that I looked a number of sites and the list of amenities mentioned that Terre Spa and Resort has is a lie. For example they do not have a steam room/steam bath or Jacuzzi/spa tub, mini golf, couldn’t rent a car in the hotel, I would hardly call three machines and a mat a fitness room or gym. Also on www.vernere.com it mentions they have a heated pool… well when I went into the pool it was stone cold (which explained why no one was in the pool rather just sitting around the pool)

The fine dining was ok, but was rather expensive, a meal for two came to almost 80 pounds (with out drink), the breakfast was mediocre, a standard breakfast you get at any old B&B and not a 5 star resort. One reviewer wrote "its as good as any 5 star dining in London" which is totally wrong since they probably have never been to a 5 star dining place. In addition the price of water is 4 – 5 times the cost of getting it outside. I understand at hotels there is a mark up… but by so much is ridiculous. I was in medina and bought a 1liter bottle of water for 5 dirham’s, and in the hotel it cost 25 dirahams.

Overall it was a so so experience, if you are looking for a 5 star resort this is not the place however if you are looking for somewhere quite to lazy around then this could be the place for you.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London
Reviewed 28 March 2009

My sister and I have just come back from our stay at The Terre Resort and Spa. After reading the last review we had doubts about going but because it was booked ,we decided to go anyway. On our arrival we were greeted by the manager and had tea and biscuits, we also had a tour of the resort and waited a short time for our room . We had booked a suite with private patio area, when we got there another couple of girls had the other room and they also shared the private living area and patio. I asked if we could have a suite with no other guests and within half an hour we were shown to another suite with nobody next door and had the living area and patio all to ourselves. We had dinner in the resturant a couple of nights (including one with a belly dancer) the food was very good. The hotel and its staff work really hard to please you and my French is a bit rusty but they managed to get me what I wanted. We had a great time here and would certainly go back. My only comment would that they dont have a shop with newspapers etc, but they took my comment onboard and they may have one next time Thank you to the manager, Fatima and Seymour for all your help and making my sister and I have a fun few days!
Regards
Sharon Woodford/Avril Grant

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Hertford
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Hi - Well firstly i would like to say how awful some of the reviews on this website are and so damaging to the Terre Resort and Spa.
I feel it is such a shame the things that have been written about the hotel and there staff, in fact i feel so differently its hard to beleive i am talking about the same hotel.

Firstly if you are looking to stay in the city centre, this may not be the right hotel, for myself and my husband it was perfect.
We wanted a quiet resort away from the hussle and bussle of the city but yet close enough should we want to get a taxi in for the evenings. We want nice accommodation a swimming pool, good food a spa which offered massage and other treatments and most of all hot weather. I can safely say it ticked all boxes.

Our experience of the hotel was FANTASTIC..........On our arrival we were greeted by the hotel manager with freshing mint tea and small Morrocan snacks, we arrived very early 9.30am and was expecting to perhaps sit around whilst our room was serviced, we were very wrong after a short relaxing sitting down in the lobby area we were then taken to our Junior Suite.
The Junior Suite is the standard room that the hotel provides and was very plesant a comfy bed, enough blankets, pillows, private sun loungers and was spotless.

The food - as the hotel is a little distance from the city we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant one night. The food was lovely i must admit not a huge menu to choose from but enough to suit all tastes. The presentation of the food was something else and what you would expect from a 5 star top London restaurant, would definatly recommend eating in the restaurant at least one night of your stay. True traditional tagines served also, but if you do wish to hit the city centre in the evenings the hotel reception kindly arranged a taxi for us and also arrange us to share this with a French couple also on holiday which helps cut costs. Although if you wish to get a taxi with just the 2 of you without sharing, the cost is very reasonable at around 10 pounds each way.

Overall we had a fantastic stay - our only grubble would be " WE WISHED WE HAD STAYED LONGER" Thank you Terre Resort for such a wonderful stay we hope to visit again someday.

Just one last note - We also hope that there are no more awful reviews on your hotel as the staff work really hard and go the extra mile to ensure you have a memorable stay, its a shame there hard work goes unnoticed and that some people are more interested in writing terrible reviews because they couldnt get any English channels on the TV and that the rooms was too dark.
My answers - Dont expect English TV channels, you are in Morrocco, and yes the rooms are dark as they all face away from the beaming sun, a refreshing welcome after an afternoon of lazing round the pool or a hard days bargaining round the markets.

Enjoy your stay - After all it is a holiday!!!! Must try the Hammam great on your first day to help get ya self a nice tan.

Kindest Regards

Mrs Caroline Hetherington and Mr Lee Hetherington

UK
Reviewed 8 March 2009

I booked Terre for my honeymoon for 6 nights. I had read some negative reviews before leaving but thought I would take a chance as it claims to be 5 star. Let me assure everyone, this is not a 5 star. I will explain why.

When we arrived we were greeted by a young lady who did not speak a word of english. She said the hotel was not busy at all due to the season. We were given complimentary tea and biscuits. We stayed in the Junior Suite and it wasn't great. It was very cold in the room and I had to order another heater. The TV was so far from the bed that you could just about see it. Only one channel in english and that was news. The bed was very hard and the room smelt quite bad at times. The water would run out during the day as well.

The food is very very overpriced and so is alcohol. I ordered 2 drinks and it cost me 300 dirhams which is £25. The breakfast is a joke. It's a buffet with hardly anything on it. Bread was hard and cold and not much variety for a 5 star.

Nobody spoke a word of english which is a joke for a 5 star hotel. The other really annoying thing is the location. It is set in the middle of nowhere and it takes half hour to get into the city. Taxi is 150 dirhams one way so you will look to pay £30 a day on cabs. The staff also look very bored and unhappy. Probably because they have no guests. I also wanted cigarettes and they said they did not sell them. They sent the driver to get them and he took 45 minutes.

3 days into my stay I asked to see the bill and good job I did. They charge you 10% on everything and also a daily tax of 45 dirhams. There is also a service charge. The most annoying thing is they overcharge you. They charged me 3 times for lunch. You really have to check ever single thing because they are out to rob you.

I left this hotel after 3 days because me and my wife were so upset and angry with the place. When we checked into another hotel, we were amazed at the difference in prices.

Would not recommend to anyone. Please do not stay here. An awful experience.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
ferrai, Relations Manager at Terre Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 March 2009
Dear disappointed traveler,

My name is Sofia Ferrai; I am the director of Marketing and Public Relations for Octogone Hotels. I wanted to start by sincerely apologizing for your experience. I want you to know that all of us that have chosen hospitality as our profession have to rethink our roles when we read comments like yours. We thrive to serve others if not we would not have chosen this business. Know that monthly we see between 500 and 1200 different guests, and even though those that are not always happy with our offering are the minority, we still value every single guest opinion.

At Terre Resort & Spa, we go out of our way to please our guests and meet their needs. We do this unobtrusively as our intent is that you feel like you are in your own home. Recently we added a service on-site that is responsible for Customer Service and Quality Assurance on a daily basis. The person that runs this service is Ms. Fatima Zohra Monaim; she is a Moroccan trained in hospitality and speaks fluently French, Arabic and English. Her job is to greet and meet each guest one by one and make sure that they are enjoying their stay and getting their daily feedback. It is a shame that she or our front office manager, Mr. Brahim Zbiri, also Moroccan with 20 years experience in the industry and fluent in German, French, Arabic and English were not able to meet you throughout your stay. I’m sure if either of them had the pleasure to meet you they would have resolved anything within their powers.
Know that you are entitled to your opinion, but let me try to at least alleviate your concerns and reply frankly to your comments. Our local rating in Morocco is deemed 5 stars. In traveling internationally you can typically lose one star in order to be consistent with other star rating programs. At Terre Resort & Spa we have created an approach called “Budget Luxury”, meaning that we are offering luxury services and touches with in most people’s budget. Our rates are reasonable and proper for the product we offer.

Most of our staff we have trained personally. Know that you are traveling to a merging market where there are differences in education and standards. We go out of our way to make our guests feel at home and our staff values this responsibility. We want your trip to Marrakech to allow you to experience the local culture. Our Junior Suites are larger than most suites you will find in Morocco. I would say they are more American style. That they were cold and smelly we most apologize for. We only wish you would have let us know so we can change your room or isolated the problem. Know that we have daily maid service, we change linen each day, and we do turn down service all of which are typical luxury services. As well, our director of Housekeeping formerly worked in markets like Dubai, implements a 65 point inspection of each suite each day. That the TV was far away and that it had only one channel in English is something we are working on. Actually there are 3 English channels. In Morocco there is no cable TV and pay TV service as of yet for Hotels. Once it is available we will install it. Currently we have 15 channels to choose from and we try to have a variety of Arabic, French, Italian, German, Spanish and English channels to meet our guest needs.

Concerning the food at our hotel I must disagree with you. We have an excellent kitchen staff and we bring in supplies daily to guarantee their freshness. We also have our own farm that supplies organic vegetables. Our lunch items range from 5.80 to 12.40 pounds and our dinner items range from 7.40 to 15.70 pounds, this is extremely reasonable by any standards. Currently we are working to put our menus online for everyone to view. As you know Morocco is mostly Muslim, there is a tax on alcohol. We have tried to keep prices competitive, fair and moderate. Our specialty drinks are all priced at 7.75 pounds and we have great wines by the glass which you can order for less than 5.00 pounds. Our breakfast is included with your rate, even with that said we go beyond our required offering of continental breakfast. It would be nice if you can elaborate further what you believe was missing. We have taken a photo of this week’s breakfast and posted it online for all to see.

We are located 12 miles from the center of the city. We created our hotel at this location because we did a study that said that guest preferred to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The majority of our guests enjoy the peacefulness of our location. Understand the mix of security and tranquility makes it the true sense of an oasis. As well, we are located near a future train station that will bring in the TGV when it comes to Morocco and near one of the largest football stadium in Africa that is in the final stages of being completed. We hope to have you back for a great match and an enjoyable stay. Unfortunately hotels in Morocco cannot have their own transportation. We are currently applying for a license to do so. Our rates are posted in the lobby and they are reasonable by all standards, actually less expensive than what you will find in other hotel in Marrakech.

Concerning the city tax, by law we cannot add this tax to the rate. This tax, as with many cities of the world, is based on a per person per night basis charge. The charge collected is passed on to the city. The current rate is 2.70 pounds. Upon arrival we give a welcome letter to all our guests with our services, in it we explain that in order to distribute evenly the gratuities, we request that guests do not tip individual staff and that at their discretion, they offer a service fee at the end of their stay. The money collected is distributed monthly amongst all the staff.

Know that I have written this reply to be helpful and informative. I do not fault you nor do I believe you have in any way exaggerated what you felt throughout your stay. We only wish that you give us a chance to remedy your bad experience and we ask that you and all future guest contact the General Manager at the establishment at the first sign of an inconvenience as it is at that point that things can be best resolved.

As I said, this is my profession, and with my colleagues at Terre Resort & Spa we stand behind our product. We welcome you and anyone who may have a suggestion or a comment to contact me directly at your convenience. We look forward to hearing from you and most important we look forward to having you as our guest in the future. Maybe if we are so lucky for your first anniversary!

Sincerely Sofia Ferrai

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Germany
Reviewed 27 January 2009

A beautiful garden and very nice architecture - you could fall in love with the hotel when checking in.
Unfortunately, there are way too many things to complain about. We - a family of five - stayed there for a week, and would definitely not do it again. Here's why:

- Everything takes ages. You ask for an additional blanket because the room is freezing cold - it will arrvive five hours or two days later. Same with mineral water, taxis, towels, safety box batteries. You order breakfast for 7am because you have to go to the airport, and they have to lock up the room at 7.10am and start preparing. It even took them six days to return money they could'nt change. Six days.
- You talk to reception, organize taxis or excursions or whatever, and they confirm everything. Next morning the staff has changed, and you have to organize all over again. There seems to be zero exchange between the shifts. Everybody is blaming everybody: oh, he's on vacation. nobody told me. he can't be reached today.
- Someone mentioned a strange smell in the room. Ours stank. It stank for one week.
- "Chez Ali" is right next door. That means blasting music, horseriding games and lots of coaches every night. And firecrackers.
- They put gaziilions of dubious charges on your bill: VAT, citytax, service charge, you name it. Which means anonther two hours of fruitless discussions. You end up paying much more than arranged before.
- They simply do not tell the truth. There is no wlan in the rooms, there is no garage, there is no 10% discount for guests over 70.

'nuff said. The more I write about it, the angrier I get. Avoid if possible.

• Liked — the garden
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ferrai, Marketing VP at Terre Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 March 2009
We would like to reply to this review as a way of better understanding and hopefully changing the way we can improve our service to our valued guest. Our team has been informed of your comments in an attempt avoid this kind of situations in the future. Let us start by apologizing to all of our guests that may have felt some short coming of our staff or our product. We are constantly training our staff and insist they perform their duties the best possible way. We are in Morocco to expand on the hospitality of Morocco and share it with other that we hope will grow found of it.

A few clarifications however, Chez Ali is 3 days a week and it is part of the event that last 20 minutes, are guest are invited invited to attend the festivities at a discounted rate, it is a fantasia and part of the culture. Unfortunately at times there is a smell from the city that is being address and soon will no longer occur. Our Resort does not have a garage, but we do have space for up to 50 cars, half of which are shaded.

We are puzzled on were things went wrong , and have been investigating much of your concerns, We are trying our out-most best to accommodate every guest in every way possible to make the stay as enjoyable as possible and we do have many happy returning guests. We are however sorry for the this experience and hope we can welcome you next time as our guest.

Please note that the Resort is under new management as of March 1st. 2009 a change that we welcome all to come experience.
Surrey
Reviewed 21 January 2009

We really enjoyed our stay in the Terre. From the moment we arrived we were greeted warmly, and we really well taken care of. We stayed in a gorgeous octagonal villa, which was very clean, and had an authentic Moroccan feel to it. We had great rooms, spacious, with great seating area. The bathroom was stunning with double sinks, flower petals for the bath, and all the usual bathroom compliments. The food was lovely, though we did stick to the continental menu, and the staff were fantastic at taking care of us. We also enjoyed a day at the hotel, taking full advantage of the spa and lunch by the pool, as well as enjoying the shade in the pool house and catching up on some emails on the internet. There are some gorgeous shady spots amongst the villas where you can enjoying lounging in the cool with a book, and of course there is the outdoor jacuzzi that is soon to be completed to look forward to. The Chez Ali next door provided much entertainment on the last night we were there, and is a must for anyone that goes to the Terre hotel. We managed to get around well using taxis and liked the fact that the hotel was not directly in the city. Although they told us many older people tended to stay there, and we were in are early twenties, we loved it even more because they loved having us there and made us feel really special! I would definitely return, to chill out, explore Marrakesh more or for a romantic holiday, it was stunning!

• Liked — It looked stunning!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
london
Reviewed 12 January 2009

We booked 10 nights at Terre and were forced to return home after 5!! This hotel is misdiscribed on the internet as 5* it's hardly worthy of 3*. It is far from being a luxuriously named Spa or in any way a place to have a relaxing holiday.

Many items were added to our bill which we didn't order, in our case amounting to over £150 which, after many lengthy arguments with the management remains unrefunded.

Being January and cold during our stay we were unable to sit in the reception rooms due to them not being heated. The bar is no more than a narrow corridor with high stools & freezing at night so guests are forced to go to their room. No room service menu for food & the hotel doesn't even have a sandwich/lunch menu!!

The pool is also unheated. The rooms are very dark and gloomy, besides being smelly with very uncomfortable beds & poor quality pillows. Our bed linen wasn't changed the entire 5 nights!!!! 5*???? The hot water runs out after 1 shower or bath. The shower has no curtain and floods the bathroom. No slippers as listed. Our bathroom lights fused twice during our stay.

The FULL breakfast as included in price is a blatant lie. Continental is included anything cooked is supplement!! YES ANOTHER ONE. The jam, rolls & pastries were left out uncovered and had flies around them each morning.

The gym is practically non existent!! 1 rower which is like a self assembley job from Argos & 1 bike the same. This does not constitute a gym & even if you try to work out there's no A/C working so it feels like a sauna.

If all that isn't enough to put you off, the location would. It's a 30 minute taxi into the centre of Marrakech and cost us at least £30 there & back each day which was a MUST as the food in the hotel is so bad!!!

If that's a holiday I'd rather stay home

• Liked — Checking out!!!
  • Disliked — Sleeping on their beds
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family