“Moroccan cooking classes in a beautiful Riad!!!”

and 1 more site!
Riad Dollar Des Sables
Ranked #208 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Wow. If you are looking for a tranquil retreat while being steps away from the most amazing markets in all of Marrakech this is the place. This is not a sales pitch. This was really an incredible stay. I had a cooking class with the cook there Mouna where I learned chicken tagine and when I asked about cous cous, Cathey, the owner, offered to let me watch the next day. The food is sensational and actually cheaper than eating in any restaurant in marrakech.

I am a chef and will charish these recipes forever!

Thanks to everyone at the Riad. Cathey, Mouna, Medhina for all your help throughout my stay!!

1  Thank Jpackar

Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed for 4 nights and wished we had of booked more! Such an amazing experience to stay in the heart of the Medina - only a 1 minute walk to the hustle and bustle of the souks and the main square, we couldn't have asked for a better location.
The staff at the Riad - Mouna, Mediha, Fouad and Imad, along with owner Cathy were friendly and so hospitable that we felt like we were at home.
They helped to make our experience in Marrakech a memorable one. Thankyou.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leanne05
Reviewed 5 May 2010

We stayed for a few nights with a family group ranging from 13-80 yrs old. Very helpful staff who organised everything we needed. The Riad is well kept, the food (evening meals optional) very good and, most importantly, is centrally located in the Medina so that if you need a quick break from the madness of the souks, it's only a quick walk to the peace and cool of the roof terrace.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank PGDKH
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Our second stay at Riad Dollar des Sables felt like coming home. We feel like part of the family now. It was lovely to see Cathy and her marvellous staff again and they were pleased to show us the changes that they had made in response to suggestions from our last review

In addition, there is now a shower and a massage room on the roof terrace and we indulged in the full treatment after a day excursion to Ouarazazate. What a wonderful way to wash off the desert sand and relax! It was a real plus to be able to indulge on-site and just step over to the chaises on the terrace, collapse and enjoy the stars afterwards - no need to negotiate the souks to get back to the riad.

Again, Cathy was brilliant about helping us to tailor our visit. Upon our arrival, she sat down with us and listened to what we wanted to do. She arranged a couple of day excursions for us (both were great), suggested a few restaurants to try (the one we went to was fabulous), advised us on shops for purchases we wanted to make this trip (yet more tasselled key rings and babouches!), and even found a local tailor who was able to custom-make a tunic and trousers that were ready for pick up by the end of our trip.

This visit, I had a cooking lesson with Mouna - I asked to learn a recipe that combined dates with a meat of some sort. I produced a delicious lamb and date tagine and came away with the recipe so I can make it again at home whenever I get the yearning.

Another wonderful stay, thanks to Cathy and her staff - Fouad, Abdel, Mouna, and Madiha. We are already looking forward to our next stay!

2  Thank exmoor-rover
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Spent 2 nights at the "Riad Dollar des Sables" in Marrakesh. We arrived late on a sunday night and Cathy gave us her cell phone number so we can call her when we arrive at the place Jemman el Fna. The riad is not easy to find in the medina of Marrakesh (like all the Riad) but the security guy picked us up in a cafe and walked us to the Riad. We got in ant the tea was waiting for us!!! They was fresh roses everywhere in the riad including our bed and our shower.
When we woke up the first morning we had the chance to meet Cathy the owner and her mother (both from Canne and very nice). Cathy showed us the map of marrakesh and told us what to do during our stay. She also walked us through the medina. Everybody in the medinal knows Cathy and she had a very good reputation!!!

I recomment this riad to all of you! They make you feel like home!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nadia25
Reviewed 29 March 2010

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at Riad Dollar des Sables. We had a double room overlooking the main courtyard which was beautifully decorated, clean and comfortable. The staff were all lovely and very helpful, and Cathy was an excellent host sharing her local knowledge and recommendations. The location was really central and enabled us to get our bearings in the souks. We really enjoyed our meal cooked to order, fresh that same day - the fish tagine was amazing and the traditional soup and salads to start were excellent as well. If we could change one thing, it would be be hot water! I think this just a consequence of such an old traditional house but a little frustrating you couldn't have a decent shower. I would definitely recommend the Riad and I would return for another stay!

1  Thank happy_haddad
Reviewed 28 March 2010

In 14 trips to Morocco, this is the worst place we've stayed. Constant pressure to eat at the hotel, buy trips, have the hamman. Dinner there was more than twice the rate in Jemma el Fna and they charged us 400 dirhams for a taxi to the mountains which cost us 100 dirhams on the way back. Budget place charging mid-range rates - and we were kept awake every night by dogs barking outside and the plumbing gurgling inside.

2  Thank Shane18