“Beautiful Riad in a Great Location”
Review of Dar Fakir

Dar Fakir
Ranked #315 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip. This is a beautiful Riad with a very accommodating Manager/Owner always on hand to help or advise.
This is a very open traditional style riad with rooms that all open out on to a lovely courtyard balcony, its very much a home away from home. Not forgetting the amazing roof terrace of course. Also lovely shampoos and shower gel miniatures.
However if you are looking for a very private room, then this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I have to apologise to Dar Fakir for posting this review so late. My husband and I organised a private house party at Dar Fakir for my 40th birthday celebrations in Jan this year. I searched thoroughly for the right place, as we wanted a luxurious but intimate feel for our guests. Dar Fakir, encapsulates everything you want in an exotic Marrakech experience, firstly it is beautifully tucked away down an old cobbled street that can only be accessed by foot, 5 mins from the square. This added an immediate adventure for our guests arriving at the decorative lantern lit wooden door. The interior is so chic and tastefully decorated in neutral palettes... Divine! It really comes alive at night when the lanterns are lit and the moroccan music is playing in the background. I appreciated the added touch of large vases of fresh roses placed around the Riad and in the rooms. Each room is individually decorated with stunning oversized ceiling lanterns that light up the cream walls with drama at night. We arranged a lunch on the sunlit terrace for our guests on arrival, we asked for a light moroccan lunch of salads and barbecued meats... It was a delicious feast(not so light)! That evening, Kerstin the manager arranged for the Riad to be lavishly decorated with lanterns and flower petals, so when our guests came out of their rooms for dinner they were instantly transported into a moroccan delight that set the mood for the evening. Kerstin arranged for pre dinner cocktails to be made and served on the terrace and then we went downstairs to enjoy our banquet meal of huge tagines and cous cous. It was some of the best food we ate during our stay and I would highly recommend going there just for dinner. The setting was everything I had hoped for ... We sat on a long low table with cushions and candlelight. It was the perfect first night for our guests, we finished the evening with drinks by the fire in one of their cozy open corner nooks. On my 40th, Kerstin recommended we go to their sister restaurant for dinner which is conveniently situated only 3 mins walk away, Le Salama. We arranged a huge banquet, including the highlight of slow roasted moroccan lamb, among many other delights. It was delicious, the perfect place to celebrate (we loved the music and belly dancing). Friends enjoyed the nearby spa the following day after a late night. We finished our long weekend with dinner in the desert by sunset in luxury bed win tents. The whole weekend ran smoothly with the help of Kerstin the hotel manager, she went out of her way to ensure all our needs were met. She was also very patient on the run up to the weekend, with my numerous emails and questions... Thank you to all the staff at Dar Fakir for the most wonderful 40th birthday weekend that I will never forget nor will my friends and family that loved every minute of their luxury moroccan adventure...... Karen and Mark

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tresanton
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This was my second stay at the riad. I came here to Marrakech with family and we were staying at another riad but had too leave immediately. Luckily I had stayed here a few months back and had Kirsten details so we checked in the second day of our holiday. This place is amazing and absolutely value for money. Your only minutes away from the hustle and bustle. The workers are all helpful especially Aziza and Hannah who is fluent in English. I will be coming back and certainly staying here. Everyone at Dar Fakir thank you for a wonderful stay and your warm hospitality.

Room Tip: All the rooms are stunning in their own way. Very clean and fresh.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This riad is perfect!
I booked dar fakir exclusively for 14 of us to celebrate my 30th birthday and explore a new places and the building and it's staff helped with our whole experience, I'd love to return one day....... with some HP sauce and cheese for Kirsten the very helpful (and patient) manager!
Pictures don't do this riad justice, its so much more than I expected and I've been looking at the website for a year! Even the smell as you enter is inviting.
We were met by Kirsten who told us about the local area over a glass of mint tea and was so welcoming we got a bit comfortable and nearly cleaned her out if beers!
The staff, especially Hannah were amazing and produced anything food and drink related we asked for with a smile.
We had dinner in the riad on our first night and it was lovely, no one left a thing!
All our trips out and about were sorted by Kirsten almost without us doing anything and we enjoyed all we did.... including our shopping and bartaring which we had advise for too!
Thank you all for making the start of my old age fantastic!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
DarFakir1, General Manager at Dar Fakir, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Wonderful, I will never say no to a guests coming with HP sauce ;) The sooner the better! On a more serious note, we really enjoyed seeing how much fun you were having and are very happy to hear that the whole group enjoyed their stay. I know that even my staff will remember your group for quite some time. It was great how much you took advantage of having exclusive rental and actually enjoyed spending the time in the riad. Our beer stock is ready for your next visit.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

This was my second trip to Marrakech and my second experience of a riad. The location of the Dar Fakir is excellent, just a few minutes walk to the main square, but beware the menace of 40 mile per hour scooters through very narrow bustling streets and alleyways! There was no welcome when we arrived, and the non English speaking kitchen staff took some time to answer the door. They provided us with mint tea while we waited and eventually took us to our room. About an hour later Kerstin arrived to greet us. She was extremely welcoming and helpful, providing us with a map and suggested activites and restaurants and was available in the riad at some point every day. We stayed in the Zouhoure 'suite' which I would not stay in again. The door between the bedroom and bathroom was a bizarre saloon style half swinging door, affording no privacy whatsoever. There was no storage space for suitcases and the lighting was totally inadequate. I reported the main light and one lamp not working (no bulb!) but no action was taken so eventually I had to take a bulb from a lamp in another room myself! The bed, however, was huge and extremely comfortable and we both slept soundly every night. The room also had great air conditioning, a blessing after the unseasonal 41 degree heat outside. Our room seemed to be mid range in the riad, with some being much smaller, especially the bathrooms, and a couple being very large and spacious. We had dinner on our first night which was of very poor quality and most definitely not worth 30 euros each. Breakfast, however, was lovely and served beautifully on the terrace by the night duty staff. Airport transfers also went smoothly. All in all, I would stay at Dar Fakir again, but would definitely choose a larger room and decline dinner!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the larger suites and only in the Zouhoure room if you are with a very good friend, d...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2013

First the Very Good: this is my third trip to Marrakech and Dar Fakir is a true oasis from the sensory overload of the main square and the souks.

The Iswane Suite was spacious with a sofa so there was somewhere other than on the bed to sit. The bed was enormous with room to get in and out on both sides, which is not always the case in some raids. The mattress gets top marks for comfort. The bath room was the largest in the riad. The toilet got temperamental while we were there, but this has been reported so I would hope the issue is resolved quickly. The room was also air conditioned, which given the unseasonably high temperature (102 degrees!), made the difference between comfortable and meltdown. However, the volume did run a range from reasonably quiet to small airplane taking off, a situation that was reported to the Director so hopefully rectified, but I would check or be sure to take ear plugs.

Some of the smaller rooms that we were able to view did have very small bathrooms and were dimly lit, but that is reflected in the price.

The staff are lovely and made huge efforts to meet every need. Until 2 pm, when Hannah arrives ( whose English is a bit better), there are no English speaking staff on site. We got by with games of international charades and "pictionary" ( try drawing the transfer request for the baggage handler and taxi to the airport). Good fun, but not sure it would be quite so much fun if there was any real problem that a guest needed to have addressed or resolved. They are able to contact the Director, so I assume that would be the fall back position.

We ate dinner at the Riad on our second night. It was £30 per person and we both felt it was well worth the price. The beef and chicken tagines were perfectly cooked and beautifully aromatic. After two days of the full on frenzy, heat and sensory overload that is Marrakech, we found the peace and quiet of dinner in just the restful and relaxing break we needed.

So why not an Excellent rating? We were met at the airport as arranged, but had to wait at the Riad for over an hours and a half for the Director to arrive. Having been up since 0400, we were tired and just wanted to get settled. I do understand that the driver failed to contact her that we were on our way, but I feel she could equally have checked with him or used the Internet to see that our plane had landed. Alternatively, a procedure established at the Riad to contact her when guests arrive might be a good idea.

More importantly, the Riad is supposed to have a member of staff on site during the night, but on our last night, two young women returned at 0020 to find themselves locked out. Luckily, I heard their frantic knocking and was able to let them in. When I reported this to the Director, she stated that the night duty member of staff had been called to an emergency just over the road and had only been absent for a very brief time. Unfortunately, too long a time for me or the young women who were locked out! I suggested that in the future she should have an emergency plan that does not leave guests locked out in the street. If I was going to be out late, I would definitely want to be issued with a key. Needless to say, I didn't have the best nights sleep.

Given, the toilets, noisy air conditioner and the night access issues are resolved, I can highly recommend Dar Fakir and would be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Can highly recommend the Iswane Suite.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I spent three nights with my girlfriend, it was on February for a long week-end. I picked the place randomly but I was nicely surprised.

I would recommend to whoever is seeking something very romantic yet not extremely pretentious.

BW