“Beautiful Riad”

Riad Amira Victoria
Ranked #469 of 1,172 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Just returned from a stay here. I was due to travel with a companion but due to unforseen circumstances ended up travelling alone.

The hotel itself is charming. The staff clean non stop and it is spotless. The rooms are styled in the tradtional Morrocan way with little artifacts and nick nacks making it feel very homely.

There is free Wi-fi - which is a nice touch. This may work in your room if you're lucky but I usually had to go to reception.

Breakfast is typical continental breakfast of fresh crusty bread (hot -yum!) with tea/coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Staff are attentive and helpful, and it was lovely to be able to eat breakfast on the roof terrace in the sun.

I did not find this hotel far from everything, in fact it was a short 10 min walk to thr Museum, and only a little further to thr souks, however, as lone female I was hassled badly by teen agers and young children, and was even followed a few times. I guess it was harmless as they were just trying to make a living - as they try to take tourists back through the 'maze' of streets, back to their hotel. I found this very intimidating and they wouldnt even take no for an answer. Whilst I was ok with this during the day, it meant that I was too frightended to leave the hotel alone in the evenings. When you think you are on the right road home - the locals will insist you are going the wrong way, and lead you round and round in circles in order to extract a few Euros from you. If you werent lost before - you certainly will be if you listen to them!

It was so uncomfortable withthis I checked out into another hotel in a larger hotel in a complex just outside the city.

There isnt a pool, and its not the sort of place you could sunbathe either. It really is a base. Overall I liked the hotel and would recommend. However, I have to say that the twin beds were small ( think they were 2ft 6"" instead of 3ft) and even though I changed rooms to a double - the mattresses were very uncomfortable and hard, but I guess thats a personal preference.

My only 'gripe' is the cost of the taxi from the hotel. I was told by someone in the know that a taxi is £8- £10 max to and from airport - but I was charged £20 - so they doubled up on the cost, which narked a little.

Marrakech is an amazing city and an assault to the senses. Bring an empty suitcase for shopping - its shopping heaven!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Katfishh

Reviewed 10 April 2011

Me and my partner stayed here for a few days in the middle of March.

I've not stayed in Morocco before so I wanted something traditional, rather than the big Hotel chains where they have plain decor. This Riad had it all, Moroccan mosaic fountains, a sunny roof terrace, two mini courtyards inside the Riad, Moroccan lanterns, Moroccan Teapots and much much more.

The staff were so efficient and friendly. Mustafa served us breakfast every day, and after your first breakfast he remembers what you like!

The Riad is about 10-15mins walk from the Souks and Jemaa el Fna square. The hotel has a useful map, one on the back of their leaflet which is useful for navigating the souks, and a larger map of Marrakech available for 2 euros. Hassan, the owner, was so friendly. He can arrange all sorts of trips for you and the taxis.

Remember, this Riad is in the heart of the old Medina and as this was all built before the invention of cars it's not possible to park outside the Riad. However, do give Hassan a call before you arrive as he can arrange for a taxi to collect you from the airport and take you as close to the Riad as possible. The driver will then escort you to the Riad itself. Most taxi-driver will not know of the nearest road that you can park at so may get lost.

I would definitely stay here again if I return to Marrakech and would recommend the Riad to everyone here.

Room Tip: much easier to arrange taxi through the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissMoonUK
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Riad Amira Victoria is a hiden jewel in Moroccan Medina. When we arrived at the Riad, Mustafa, the person in charge, recived us very kindly with their typical peppermint tea; during our stay in Marrakech, he was always courteous and attentive. Thank you Mustafa!Also Hassan, the manager, made things easier; he speaks spanish (that helped so much) and provided all the tourist information we needed, as well as he facilitated the shuttle from the airport to Amira Victoria and back. The Riad is about 5-10 minutes by foot from Jamaa El Fna square; the first time you step out, it feels like getting lost through the streets caos, but in the next try, is clear to see how close is the Riad to the centre. At Amira Victoria you are like at home; there is a terrace on the first floor and a huge flat roof on the second; it's so amazing the view of the city while sitting there, sunbathing and enjoying a tea!!! It's a quiet place too, opposed to the souk buzz. We got the room in the main courtyard; it was so large, setted as the Moroccan style and very cosy. And the breakfast can be served wherever you desire: in the terrace, in the main living room....the continental breakfast is so good and complete!!! The stay in Marrakech wouldn't be as good as it was if we haven't found this Riad, it will make your trip more special than it could also be!!!! Is totally recommended!!!! Thank you everybody from Amira Victoria!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeylaT
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Good Riad, very biutiful room, very biutiful common areas, very helpful staff.

It is a bit difficult to find out, so you may end up being led by a volunteer that then will ask you for some money. The map of the riad is not also complete, because you cannot really see the big famous square. Also it is difficult to reach by Taxi. The breakfast was good but not excellent.

The only problem was that my friend were told that a taxi was going to pick them up to the airport for 15 euros but at the end they said it should be 20 euros because this and that. I think that was not true, it was just an excuse to get more.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2010

I feel the need to comment on Trip Advisor as the reviews I read on here do differ to my own experience! The Riad itself is indeed lovely with a beautiful small courtyard, a roof terrace, polite staff and is clean. For these reasons I would definately recommend you go. However if you are not a hardy traveller I would not recommend you stay here as the location is so challenging. Admittedly we only had a map on the back of the leaflet and for the third time of commenting on getting lost and rather stressed by having to be constantly alert from young local men following us very aggressively insisting we pay them money (at least 100dh!)as they were showing us the way back (even when we politely but firmly insisted we knew the way back) the Riad Manager pulled out a map on the last day! This may have made our whole trip very different but as it was we were bombarded throughout the day with scenarios of people insisting we pay them, us walking around the high walled roads tyrying to look like we knew where we were going! I am female and blonde but bought traditional dresses and covered my head to make me stand out less goodness knows what it would have been like if I hadn't done this! I feel you would get a very different experience to those who stay the other side in hotels. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for-this was not a relaxing holiday but was an exhilirating cultural experience! Our sleep quality was poor as we were on the bottom floor near the front door. As you have to band loudly on the door to regain entry into the Riad some nights we were disturbed a lot as we were right by the door and the beautiful windows shone in the automatic light coming on! If you go I will say GOOD LUCK and definately get the most detailed map you can!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2010

We all realy enjoyed our stay at the Riad Amira Victoria, it is a beautiful traditional riad and the staff are very friendly. It is situated near to the Sooks, and once you have negotiated them a couple of times it is easy to find your way. It is so peaceful and quiet in the Riad after a day in busy Marrakech and the evening meal which you can have on request is great.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2010

- beautifully decorated rooms
- tasty breakfast and delicious traditional dinners
- multilingual hotel manager
- quiet and relaxing atmosphere

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple