“Sleek, sexy, fantastique - a home from home in Marrakech”
Review of Riad Dar One

Riad Dar One
Ranked #37 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 5 November 2008

I had the pleasure of staying at Dar One from 29 - 2 November 2008. It really is just fantastic. The Riad is run by Jean, who has to be, in my experience (and I've had a lot of them), one of the most gracious, friendly and welcoming hosts of anywhere I've stayed.

The Riad is beautiful inside. It is done out in a modern French/Asian mix, complete with soft velvets in muted tones, takeladikt rooms and bathrooms, comfy chairs and a generally warm and cosy feel to it.

The whole thing has a gloss of absolute professionalism and service, from the perfect balance between friendliness and unobtrusiveness, to the beautiful breakfasts on the terrace and the beautiful egyptian cotton bedding. Jean has two gorgeous French boxer dogs, mother and daughter. I spent a happy few hours in my room, the fire roaring, Tosca the dog by my side with her tail wagging. Perfect.

The location is great and means that you dont have to walk through the souks at night, which is great. I ended up staying somewhere on the other side of town on the last night and nearly got locked in! At Dar One, it is a pleasant stroll home from the main square, past nice boutiques and the Bahia Palace.

Jean will happily recommend spas and restaurants and will make your reservations - do this as it is busy all the time. I particuarly liked Le Tanjia and Cafe Arabe - both great atmosphere and food. Kosy Bar was beautiful inside but the food was poor - quality wise ok (just) but the portions were a joke - not even a breast of chicken for nearly £20. I should also add that the food in the Riad looked AMAZING - a french family who were there when I was had a meal in the Riad, and they had nothing but good things to say - the best food they'd had apparently.

I could rave all day about the place, but I wont. What I will say is go there if you're going to Marrakech - thats if you can get in. Jean said that he is very busy all year round and this is testament to how brilliant this place is.

Jean - I know you read these reviews so thanks again for a wonderful stay - I came back relaxed and replenished. Please thank Hishram too. I miss the dogs already and my dog loved his Marrakech/Peres style collar - he looks great in it and I hope you dont mind me stealing your inspired idea!

Until next time, and will look forward to hearing about the future news.

John Spencer

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank JCSpenno
There are newer reviews for Riad Dar One

Reviewed 15 October 2008

It is a tall task to write something that has not already been said by other reviewers on this site but I am pleased to say that Riad Dar One is everything you have heard and more. It is a haven of sophistication, charm and cosiness, not easy to find in one package for a fair price. Jean, the owner is welcoming, knowledgeable and respectful never imposing but always on hand to help. The two lovely dogs Tosca mother and daughter Loukoum add to the homeliness of the place despite its refined decor. We spent a weekend there and felt it wasn't enough so hope to return in the near future. We stayed at the Sirocco room at the top leading onto the roof terrace which was lovely and flooded with light in the morning. Daily fresh flowers, tea, excellent food and a smile are guaranteed. Riad Dar One and its staff made our wedding anniversary very special, thank you.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Milly6
Reviewed 30 September 2008

We loved our entire experience here at Dar One. The riad was beautiful. The owner was great, along with the staff. They gave us wonderful recommendations for restaurants, shopping and sight seeing.

It's a bit on the pricy side....but well worth it.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 30 September 2008

What can we say - FANTASTIC! This is the most amazing place ever. My husband and I went to Marrakech for our honeymoon and it was everything we expected. Jean is great - he collected us from the taxi from the airport (even arranged that) and once through all the corridors of the backstreets of Marrakech, we arrived at our haven of peace and tranquility. What a place! The decor is just incredible - such taste. The rooms are beautiful (amazing bath tub), and it was such a pleasure to have breakfast on such an amazing roof top. Nothing has been spared in the renovation of this place - it is pure luxury and decorated in total style. Jean has great taste. Breakfast was fantastic (fig jam was wonderful) and the service top class. These people will bend over backwards for you and its such a personal service that you feel you are the only ones living there. We particularly enjoyed relaxing in the early evenings on the rooftop with our glass of wine before adventuring once again into the hussle and bustle of Marrakech. Jean was so nice and gave us some great restaurant addresses. We also found a few of our own - check out the Brasserie Orientale just round the corner (great couscous) and the Kozy Bar also round the corner (great cheese puffs for starter and samosas). We had such a great time here that we are already looking at flights to return next year with some friends. AND... Jean has his place so nice that we are even considering setting up our own Riad - although don't tell Jean! Ha ha! Seriously though, if you want a sizzling, spicy, sexy weekend in Marrakech with a calm, tranquil, luxurious place to stay, this is the place. 100% perfection. Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Irishmissus
Reviewed 26 September 2008

This truly is an amazing place to stay. We spent 5 nights in this riad to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and had the most wonderful time - all due to staying at Riad Dar One. Marrakech was very hot and busy, yet our riad was an oasis of peace and luxury. We arrived early in the morning and were immediately made to feel welcome with a complementary pot of their wonderful mint tea. Jean showed us around, we were very impressed with our room especially as it was the only room at the top and we even had our own private balcony with amazing views!

Jean and his team were great, Jean helped us organise an amazing balloon trip and had some excellent retaurant and bar suggestions. Nothing was too much trouble, we ate in the riad one night and even though we asked if we could do this at short notice the meal was great. I can honestly say it was the best starter and dessert that we ate all week. Breakfasts were good and there was a slight variation each day (normally bread, honey, jam and some sweet cake/pancake type things) all very yummy - as was their delicious hot chocolate.

The riad during the day was fairly empty and we sometimes had the entire outside area to ourselves, which gave us the perfect opportunity to endulge in some wine - which we found to be reasonably price (especially compared to prices in the nearby bars) and the complementary olives and nuts were very welcome.

All in all this was a great trip purely due to the luxurious riad and Jean and his teams friendly and efficient service. Our one regret - not spending far more time in the riad during the day!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Piglet077
Reviewed 22 September 2008

Perfect to relax. Need improvements in some details.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We stayed at Dar One for our last night of a 2 week trip to Morocco and we could have not asked for a more perfect ending to our holiday. The Riad was very luxurious and stylish, as was our room and the candle lit terrace, where we enjoyed a glass of wine on our last evening. The room we stayed in had the largest bathtub I have ever seen and I enjoyed a nice bubble bath for the first time in 2 weeks! Jean the owner was on hand to greet us when we arrived from Essaouira and his friendly and efficient staff made sure we had everything we needed to ensure an enjoyable stay. We were treated to a lovely fresh breakfast in the morning and a taxi was arranged to take us to the airport with no hassle. I only wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple