“Lovely stay, brilliant riad, crazy city!”
Review of Riad Dar Najat

Riad Dar Najat
Ranked #36 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Manchester
“Lovely stay, brilliant riad, crazy city!”
Reviewed 5 May 2009

We stayed there from the 17th April for a 7 day stint over both of our birthdays. Absolutely lovely riad, excellent room, staff, food and location. Really just a couple of streets away from the main place. A real oasis in the middle of one crazy city with .... and you'll believe me after you've tried it.. the best food in town.

Oliver and team were absolutely great and truely made our introduction to Marrakech an absolute pleasure. It felt like we had our own concierge to hand, advising on what to see, making bookings, guiding us through the endless alleys and making us feel at home.

Thank you again - "The English!"

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Germany
Reviewed 5 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here for only one night after switching from two nights at a huge restort hotel in the new town. the actual hotel is basically fantastic. it's really beautifully redone and and I've never seen anything so unique. The patio upstairs is particularly spectacular. The staff and owner are all fabulous and go out of their way to make you feel at home which we did.
The downside for me was that it is off a a fairly secluded narrow street that is about a ten or so minute walk away from the market. our cab was unable to take us the whole way to the hotel due to construction, and we were harassed and followed once we got out of the cab on our way to the hotel. standard fare in morocco, but as we were walking farther and farther away from the other tourists and into these narrow winding alleyways i was pretty frightened. people were harassing us for money and chased us right up to the front door of the hotel, where i arrived shaking like a leaf.

to be sure, no fault of the hotel at all. and if we'd even had another couple with us at least i would have felt fine here, but i literally didn't want to walk out the door again, let alone come back at night in the dark. so that for me, was a major pitfall.

the only other thing to note is that our room was very very damp and the sheets and all felt quite wet, we could have used a good dehumidifier. but other than the the room was charming and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
RiadDarNajat, owner and manager at Riad Dar Najat, responded to this review, 6 May 2009
hi my friend!
Just few words first to say thanks for lovely revew and even if you stayed only one night,we'll have a great remember of you!
I just wont to say few small things regarding your revew..
First,the place has got an ideal location and even the very few guests who didn't like the medina&riad tell it's a real convenient and easy place to be where you look like to be far away from everything without any noise excepted the birds..and just five minutes walk from mean square..
First thing:at the opposite of your post dear traveler,you've got a car acces and all taxis can reach the place even with construction in all marrakech..!and the cab wil take you fifteen meters from the guest house dar najat which is very convenient but you didn' t accept the transfer we always suggest to all guests to do the things easy for arrival!
Secount of all,i can understand easily that some people don't adapt themself at the medina(old town) and to try to be objectif,one night stay is not really enough to enjoy and to find it fun&easy!
The only thing who frightened you is small kids asking you money which is not a such big deal my friend!i would say again we're in the safer area of old town just twenty seconds walking from the cousin of the king's house and the place is only with family and kids..!!and even if the kids can sometimes bother asking money for candys,again dear traveler,that's not such a big deal..!
I can tell honestly even seniors travelers much more than seventy years old adapt themself easily whren they stay more than a night..
Last point,concerning"damp",we'll say in all the medina ,you've got always a little even if you work hard to avoid it!we've been for example working for months to provide hot showers without any fluctuation for our guest which is now perfectly working ang all the house is in hight voltage to avoid any disagrements to our fantastic guest;.
We'll be for sure really glad to receve you when ever possible a little longer to really enjoy more than one night the pleasure to be in marrakech!
cheers!oliver.
california
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I often feel a hint of trepidation when I step out of the taxi and look around thinking, well, this is where I will be staying for the next 3 days - better get used to the idea. But I wasn't three steps in the door at the Dar Najat before being hospitably greeted in Arabic, French and English (thankfully!) by a handful of relaxed and friendly people at least some of whom I later realized actually worked there. An orange juice, a hot tea, and fifteen minutes later, I knew I was where I needed to be in Marrakech.
Dar Najat is an easy 10 minute walk along some small back streets from the chaotic and colorful El-Fna square - far enough away to afford some peace and quiet, close enough that I didn't think twice about stopping back for my ritual afternoon naps after getting righteously lost in the labyrinth of the souks.
Breakfasts were leisurely and tasty and tea and juice were readily available throughout the day. My room was quiet and comfortable and the staff had a balanced attitude of being helpful without being intrusive. I also appreciated the effort they made to get me connected to the Internet when my wireless laptop was being less than cooperative.
About the only negative (and the riad can hardly be faulted for this) was that the alleyway to the square was undergoing some dusty repairs during my visit. The dirt I didn't mind so much, but you had to pick your way slowly enough that I just couldn't seem to avoid one particularly persistent merchant who had decided that I simply MUST buy this full length, leather lined, fur coat for $50 ...
And the best part? Ah. Near sunset, strolling with the proprietor and "son chien merveilleux" through a city of scruffy cats, past the orange juice vendors, the cobra charmers, the henna tattooists, leaving the gnawa castanet rhythms, and stepping up to a secluded terrace cafe for a nes nes as the swifts and swallows frolic'd in the gathering breeze and gloaming twilight.
It's like that perfect cup of Moroccan mint tea - more than 2 lumps, but less than 4 - just the right amount of sugar.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 19 April 2009

This is not just a place to stay. I was treated like a princess. I felt like being in a friend's house. I need to return soon. I miss my chair on the terrace. I miss my breakfast late in the morning under the warm soon of Marrakech. I miss the wonderful music. I miss them all!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 17 April 2009

From the moment we pulled up in a taxi, staff were attentive and friendly - in fact, throughout the stay, the staff were more like very helpful casual friends. The riad is a great location for reaching the souks, the square and most sights. Oliver was a gracious host from beginning to end, and we were able to converse equally in english, french or spanish at different times. An invite to his birthday party was a significant highlight and great to be a part of. Mind you, the locals eat so late!
Lots of good recommendations but I'd suggest just finding your own way about - depends on if you want traditional food styled for tourists or local fare eaten by those with and without money.
Safe place to walk around day or night - except for motor bikes and cycles almost everywhere and the odd attempt to extract money (present) for guiding you when lost (10 dirham max folks!).
Riad Dar Najat is one to recommend as an oasis in the mayhem of Marrakech :o)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 9 April 2009

I spent two nights at Riad Dar-Najat upon my arrival in Marrakech. Oliver and his staff were very helpful with recommendations on restaurants, hammam, and things to do. As a solo woman traveler it was very helpful to have the airport pick-up and Said walked me to both the Djemaa-el-Fna and the hammam (would have gotten lost without the help!). I ate dinner at the riad the first night, which was a treat. My room was lovely, and I was sorry to leave!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
essex
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We stayed at Riad for four nights (two young ladies); really good central location and great little place. The owner was great, exceptionally helpful and really helped shape our holiday - sorting us out with trip recommendations and another hotel stay that could not have been better. Made sure we did not get ripped off and made sure we got a great experience of Morocco. Riad is very central but in a very quiet location - so we got good nights sleep and lay in which is not easy with so many mosques around.
His wife and friends were great too. They go out of their way and helped us understand Marrakesh, not sure we could have done without them. We stayed in the twin room which was not huge - but good enough value. However plenty space across Riad - good terrace to kick back on and nice atmosphere. Good breakfasts - loads of food and good quality coffee.
Highly recommended - we would go back here & recommend to anyone going to Marrekesh - particularly the unitiated like us!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends