“Excellent service and an oasis in the midst of noise”
Review of Riad Dar Najat

Riad Dar Najat
Ranked #36 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Newcastle, England
“Excellent service and an oasis in the midst of noise”
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We stayed here at the end of October for 4 nights. I would definitley recommend it! Whilst Oliver may not have been there we were magnififcently looked after. Nothing was too much effort. Breakfasts were wonderful as was the meal prepared on our arrival. We became accustomed to the gentle good manners and hugh helfulness of all staf. Would love to return!f

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mourne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Oliver, the owner was very helpful in assisting us w/ travel recommendations and advice prior to our arrival. His staff, Amir and Mohammed, were pleasant and helpful and always greeted us w/ a smile and cheerfulness. The rooms were very comfortable and charming, and I would recommend a room at the back of the riad rather than at the front on the street. We stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of our trip and then 2 nights at the end of the week, each time in a different room. Our first room downstairs towards the back was very quiet and peacful. Our second room later in the week was larger, but was on the street, so it was more noisy than the first. We would definitely recommend this riad to other travelers. My only complaint is that Oliver and staff arranged/recommended a driver to the coast in Essouarria and he spoke almost no English. This was disappointing as we would have liked to ask questions and learn about our route and the history, but were unable to do so. If you get a driver, make sure you get one that speaks English if you are English-speaking. Otherwise, Oliver was great and very friendly and engaging, and wanted to ensure that we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Could not have asked for more attentiveness. Staff took every effort to make us comfortable, from making sure a taxi awaited us at the airport (since finding the riad would be nearly impossible without someone familiar with it) to walking us through the narrow streets to find the place where we arranged massages. Our room was small but pretty. The bathroom came equipped with Kleenex - a rarity in Marrakesh. Breakfasts on the rooftop deck allowed views of the city and sunshine. This is a delightful treasure that offers a chance to experience old Marrakesh with the support of staff who are as attentive as good friends.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drdave822
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Just returned from Marrakech on a 40th birthday weekend with my husband. We had booked this months ago and we were really looking forward to it - and Riad dar Najat didn't disappoint. From the moment we arrived they couldn't do enough for us. They had even ordered a cake for my birthday! We were taken by a guide on our first visit to Jenmna el Fna and given one of the riad's mobile phones in case we needed any help. They booked us in for a massage at a neighbouring riad, organised transfers to and from the airport, fed and watered us, etc - and provided a hair pin when I had a hair disaster!

I can't recommend dar Narjat highly enough. The food was good, music was wicked (we love Ali Farke Toure!) and the staff were lovely. Marrakech is a wonderful assault on the senses which we will never forget and staying at dar Najat made my 40th birthday weekend all the more memorable. Thank you, Oliver and team!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vedamax
England
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I am checking out tomorrow morning so I thought I'd post a review of the very pleasant Riad Dar Najat. Having not travelled to Morocco and deciding to stay away from the posh hotels in the new town I didn't know what to expect. We arrived in Marrakech and were picked up free of charge by Abdu,he drove us to the Riad through the maze of cobbled streets in the Medina. On arrival in the medina I'll be honest that I was a bit taken back as it is a truly authentic experience, with no posh amenities in sight. As I've learned in the last few days this is the appeal of the place.

Arrival and check in was a little confusing, but this is not a chain hotel where you swipe your credit card and get taken to your room by a porter. We were taken upstairs into the upper courtyard and given drinks by the very friendly Amil who spoke good English despite me using my terrible French.

We arrived late evening and were keen to get out and about. Knowing we would get lost in the maze of the medina one of the Riad staff walked us into the square, a 5 minute walk. We tried to offer him some dirhams for his time, but he refused and was only too happy to help.

Breakfast every morning has been a delight,fresh coffee, pastries, bread, Berber omelette, orange juice and pancakes. Alcohol in a Muslim country is tricky, but with it being a closed area we have been served Moroccan wine and beer at reasonable prices.

On day 2 we met the owner Oliver, he has been extremely helpful and only too keen to give advice on where to eat out, arrange safe transport etc... He booked us a table at the lovely Azar restaurant in the new town and also arranged for Abdu to buy our bus tickets to Essouria.

The rooms are clean and authentic, we stayed in a superior double. I have read some of the negative reviews on here complaining about the amenities in the rooms, but this is a Riad in the old town, if you want a plush room with satellite tv, go to a Hilton.

I can only speak positively about my stay at Dar Najat. A great authentic experience, with great staff, and a nice vibe about the place. Thankyou Oliver and Amil for looking after us!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MartinHughes
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 26 October 2010

On a last minute trip to Marrakech, I spent two nights at the Riad Dar Najat. I must say it is a special place and one that I wont soon forget. For reference, I travel a bit for work and pleasure and have stayed in some other memorable places (Alvear and Copacabana Palace, Burj Al Arab, etc) . This place is different..in a good way.

From the moment I arrived, I felt like I belonged there. I was greeted in the sqaure by Olivier who walked me to the riad. Once inside, he began introducing me to some of the other guests. Within 20 minutes I was breaking bread with new friends. From the well decorated rooms to the roof deck, you will feel at home. The service is natural and unforced. I couldn´t imagine a better place to take a break from exploring Marrakech.

On my last night, the Dar Najat was booked and I was prepared to move to another riad. Oliver invited me to stay in the open air room next to the roof deck. I fell a sleep staring up at the moon and stars and listening to the sounds of Marrakech.

I think you get the picture.

Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank VoeAzul
Paris, France
Reviewed 26 October 2010

I stayed at DAR NAJAT for 3 days and loved every minute of it. The Riad is absolutely beautiful - the best I've seen in a Riad, and the stay was a home-away-from-home - I really felt comfortable here. The rooms were spacious and clean and Olivier the owner and his staff could not have been more helpful.

After the craziness of the Souks & jama el fna it was a joy to return to the tranquillity of Dar najat and relax on the terrace.

Definitely try out Soukina food - it was amazing, and is a great opportunity to eat Moroccan food other than the Tajines and Couscous that we were normally served elsewhere thank s to you all.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple