“Riad fit for a King! (or Queen, of course)”
Review of Riad Dar Zaman

Riad Dar Zaman
Ranked #79 of 1,160 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Our three night stay in this fantastic Riad was absolutely unforgettable from start to finish. The facilities are superb. From the air-conditioned bedrooms, with en-suite facilities, to the comfortable lounge facilities and surprisingly spacious courtyard, this Riad provides a peaceful and secure escape from the lively and at times, frantic medina.

Hassan, the gregarious yet soft-spoken host, is a human Swiss Army Knife of sorts, and will warmly endeavour to ensure your stay is a comfortable and tranquil as possible; providing fresh towels and min tea at all hours of the day and night, whilst you kick back in the petite yet adequately-sized splash pool.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Riad Dar Zaman

Reviewed 9 October 2012

If you're returning to Marrakech (or even more so, you should know this if you have never been): It's very important to have a comfortable, safe environment which allows you to relax and feel at home, when you're not out traversing the chaos. Dar Zaman - - IS EXACTLY THIS!!!

The staff is warm & welcoming, the accommodations are clean & inviting, and what I found to be even more astounding were the other guests, who I also became close with. All I know is - - The biggest reason that I will be returning to Marrakech is Dar Zaman... and I will bring friends. This Riad stole my heart and I look forward to my next adventure there.

Special Notes: - Ask for a guided tour of the Medina & souks - Be sure to order dinner 'in the Riad' one of your nights - If you enjoy cooking - Be sure to request for the cooking class and when the chaos outside the Riad walls is too much... - Request for a day at the Baldi Country Club.

Peter Mercer, the owner of this Riad has somehow put together a magical environment that has practically rendered me speechless. I traveled alone to this city of insanity... and 4 days later, left my wonderful new family behind. When you stay here, you will understand the mystery of Marrakech, you will feel at home and you will look forward to your return!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great... have no fears, I promise!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MichaelLeedy
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed at Riad Idra for 2 days and nights, but it felt like much longer because it was so relaxing being there.It is in a great location, right in the Medina,
Walking into the hotel from the hustle and bustle of the medina was like walking into another world.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

There are not enough words to describe how amazing this Riad is. It is everything and more that you would want when staying in the Medina. This Riad has it all, the to stay in - but this place also has the staff that have your every need sorted and more.

Hassan - the best concierge/guide/waiter/anything else you need guy! He really cared for every guest and the Riad itself. He was always around to help you and he did not do things by half he was exceptional in every way. His explanation of the Medina map and how to get around was, without doubt, the thing that set us up for an amazing time in Marrakech, before we left the Riad to explore we already felt we had a great understanding of the Medina and it's landmarks.

Karima - she not only cooked breakfast and and cleaned the rooms, she did it with love and joy and a smile, every day. She made our environment peaceful and orderly and one that we couldn't wait to get back to at the end of our days. We had dinner at the Riad, that was prepared by Karima, and it was the best meal we have had in Morocco (Hassan made the desert that was equally delicious). She is an amazing chef and it something that every guest should do, spend a night in and experience it - you wont regret it!!

Peter (the owner) - was such a pleasure to deal with even before we arrive, he made sure we were sorted with our arrival, sent train times from our previous destination, advised on options for our next destination and was super informative whenever we needed it, without trying to sell us something.

All in all, the staff here are truly genuine and take great care in providing for their guests. We honestly felt like we were staying with friends.

Rooms are well appointed, everything you need has already been thought of and if there is anything you need (even a bus ticket) they will sorted it out with the greatest of ease. The candles at night are very atmospheric, the terrace is picturesque and peaceful, the plunge pool is great to soak your tired feet and we will be back here for sure!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great (there are 4) 3 on the 1st floor and 1 on the terrace - it doesn't matte...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Spirit Renewed

Halfway through a stay @ Dar Zaman - it gets better by the day.
I came to Morocco to attend the wedding of a childhood friend's son to a Moroccan woman in Casablanca, and was overwhelmed by the festivities, and the warmth I received from everyone as a visiting American, just after the US ambassador was murdered in Libya, and anti-American riots erupted across the Arab world in protest to the idiotic video defaming Islam posted by an American on YouTube.
I have wanted to visit Morocco for many years and this was a great opportunity. However after the intimacy of the wedding at the family's beautiful home at the beach in Mohammedia - Casablanca totally underwhelmed me. I left by standing room only space in 2nd class ( 1st was sold out) un- air conditioned train for the 4 hour+ trek to Marrakech, only to become sick and prisoner of my hotel bathroom ( in a very nice, and well under-priced modern hotel in Gueliz - Les Trois Palmiers, but a standard modern western style hotel). The frame of mind being ill was turning my better judgments against my Moroccan adventure. Having traveled extensively all my life, and now creating custom private tours for clients, I knew better. But my utmost desire was to hop the 1st plane out & up to a friends in London (- not my favorite place in Europe to spend time when so many fascinating destinations within a few hours of travel lay at your feet there).
I forced myself to visit at least one riad in the old medina to get a feel for what the experience could be before I took off.

Still not feeling well, & absolutely very anxious to leave the next afternoon,
I made myself take a short cab ride to Sidi Ben Slimane - a neighborhood worlds apart from the modern Gueliz section, and was led by one of the multitude of children anxious to earn 20 dirhm from the taxi just steps away to the door of Riad Dar Zaman.
From the moment Hassan greeted me at the door I was transported. I knew instantly I was NOT boarding a plane to England the next day.
As if in a dream you walk into this space so stylish, yet understated in design -subtle tones of white, & ivory pillars and wrought iron loggias around the open air central courtyard. It is as if you've entered a small wing of a faintly Andalusian palazzo.
But the warmth of Hassan, accompanied by the effusive praise of an American from NYC (who had never been out of the USA before) had me mesmerized.
Even better the next day was the welcome shown by the owner, Peter, an ex-NYer, born in England. He escorted me to a lunch which any intrepid traveler can only hope to find by getting very local insider info - a stark little neighborhood hole in the wall with THE best poulet au citron accompanied by a bowl of slightly spicy white beans that I could eat for lunch the rest of my life. Then lead to Dar Cherifa & what had to be a silence of an intensity I've never experienced within its enclosure ( see photo ) - a beautiful multi-storied space around a courtyard with a shallow impluvium floating rose petals on its surface. It is a space you can visit and read, or just sit overwhelmed with the peace the silence brings. When you come back to normal consciousness - do order the orange cake saturated with a reduction of jus de orange and orange blossom water - it makes transition back to reality easily bourne ( btw those of you that know of the orange cake suffused similarly at famed Maya's in St. Barth - beware - as incredible as Maya's is - & I'm one of her biggest devotees - this tops it ( my apologies to Maya & Randy whom I consider friends ).
I spent 2 nights at the Riad and, because there was no room in the inn for this baby Jesus (hardly) - I'd have gladly stayed in a straw manger there - Peter arranged for me to let a flat in Essaouira on the Atlantic coast for the weekend - another find - 3 rooms in the Mellah quartier in a centuries old building beautifully renovated - blue & white portuguese tiled kitchen and bath, a salon and a 4 poster bed - all with wooden ceilings I laid in bed and stared at happily for some time.
But I couldnt wait to return to Riad Dar Zaman, in the midst of the craziness of the medina. I'm back for 3 nights. I do think maybe I'm still ill and dreaming, because a small guest house offering only 4 bedrooms would normally have me wondering about the enforced intimacy with the other guests. They have all been as lovely and interesting as the super staff here. I don't even want to leave this haven to go out anywhere. Peter has dragged me out the door thank goodness several times, and seen only a few facets of the charms of Marrakech. I'm threatening to have renters squatting rights til they have to get the police to throw me out.
Am I being over-wrought in my praise ?
It's hardly sufficient to describe the way I feel here - especially after being ready to write off completely a destination
I've always yearned to visit.

Room Tip: there are only four and all great - it's as if you're staying in a rich friends stylish digs...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Lovely riad, calm, beautiful rooms, excellent service, warm welcoming. Candles lights, stylish. Super stay... just a few minutes away from the Medina and its souks. The food was exquisite, very much worth a romantic dinner!

1  Thank Rain81
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We truly enjoyed our stay. Thank you for making this such a magical experience..something we will never forget. The genuine hospitality, kindness, and helpfulness of everyone at Dar Zaman will warm the heart. Whether you are exploring the medina of Marrakech, crossing the High Atlas Mountains, or visiting the Sahara, Dar Zaman is a perfect place to begin your adventure of a lifetime. Thank you so much for opening your beautiful home to us. B&P