“Wonderfull”
Review of Riad Porte Royale

Riad Porte Royale
Ranked #239 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I am a Travelagent from Holland and stayed for 5 nights in Riad Porte Royale. (with my family 7 persons total) We had a great time. We loved the Riad because of its ambiance, quiet situated, very helpfull employees. I slept in Douirya room and had no smells.
The Riad is situated about 20 minutes walk and if you look at signs where you must turn than it is easy to find. The new town is about the same distance. Hagiba is very helpfull arranging excursions and they are not expensive. One day we booked an excursion in the new village and this was a disaster. So next time we book it through the Riad. They also can give you good tips where you can eat, but you also can eat in the Riad. Just tell Hagiba and she will make you a meal or get the drinks you want.

We had a great time and certainly will go back. There is so much to see.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 February 2009

I love this Riad, I've been before on other trips and I'll be back again. Just back from a trip with my parents. My parents needed a break away and a treat and the first place that I thought of was Riad Porte Royale. My parents were not disappointed. The place oozes class, with simplicity and sophistication. It is relaxing, peaceful and intimate; a world away from the chaos and bustle of Marrakech medina.

I love the architecture and character of the riad and the little points of interest throughout the building, such as a reading area, stairways, roof terrace, fabrics etc. The whole building is finished to a very high standard.

I have travelled to more than 70 countries and this place has to rate in my top three places to stay. What I really like about this place apart from being very stylish is that you feel special here; no tour groups, no noise, no hastles and more than likely you could have the whole riad to yourself. There are only 4 or 5 rooms and each time I stayed I hardly seen a tourist.

The people who run it are genuinely friendly and helpful. Hajirah is sweet and the owner Phillip is very professional; always keeping in touch by mail to make sure that everything is all right.

I will be back again.

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 27 January 2009

My mum had travelled over from NZ to see me in England for a few weeks. At the end of her stay, I wanted to treat her and take her to a country nearby with character and lovely accommodation. I had been to Morocco several times and had also stayed before at Riad Porte Royale with my partner. We had had such a lovely, relaxing weekend that I was sure that it would be a perfect place to share with mum too.

Riad Porte Royale is absolutely stunning. It has so much character. The rooms are gorgeous, decorated with simple, tasteful, African art and set, of course, around the central courtyard and the titled plunge pool. My mum couldn't stop taking photos to take home to show her friends. Every morning, Mum and I had breakfast on the roof terrace and this was one of my favourite times to relax before we begun our shopping and bargaining in the Souqs.

Hajiba and Mohammed do an amazing job of hosting you and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and welcome. They truly are lovely friendly people, who genuinely enjoy what they are doing.

Thanks for having us. I'll be back again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2008

This Riyad was booked as part of a private travel group.
I cant emphasize how fantastic this place is!
The Riyad is very elegantly decorated and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly (Mohammed and Hajiba)
It is a 15 minute walk to the main square and gives you the opportunity to wander through local markets and streets
It can be a bit daunting initially but the locals are always keen to help
I cant wait to visit again!!

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 11 September 2008

A first class place to stay in Marrakech. The design within the hotel was not just a fabulous aesthetic, it was all plainly high quality and there to be used as well, something very rare hotels these days. Clean lines, where not just in the main areas but in the room as well. The subtle hints of African design where spectacular. What can I say, it just worked!

Even before arrival Philip was incredibly helpful via email, organising the airport transfer, late breakfast and offered to organise an evening meal on top. It took a huge amount of stress out of travelling, knowing everything at the other end was already organised.

On arrival, the taxi was no where to be seen. In typical Ryan air standard, I had an email in the air telling me that the clocks where changing in Marrakech and they had given me a wrong landing time, therefore we would be landing in an hour early. We called Mohamed (riad’s manager) who sent someone with gusto to pick us up.

As soon as we arrived we where welcomed by Mohamed and Hajiba and received an enormous breakfast spread. This was to be repeated every morning.

We took the Douriya room. It was lovely and cool with a very comfortable bed and AC. The bathroom was stunning, with the most enormous bath. The attention detail in the riad seemed to expand to every little room. If I was to pick out negatives in the riad, it would be in the bathroom. Drainage was slow and on occasion was a little smelly and the water pressure wasn’t good. However I should imagine that’s more of a Marrakech issue, rather than riad specific.

You certainly don’t need to take a lonely planet with you when Mohamed is about. On your first trip out of the riad, he kindly walks you too a main streak to the square, warns you of pestering kids, gives you directions and suggestions of where to eat. Anything Mohamed isn’t sure of he finds out quickly and lets you know. So, so helpful.

The Riad location is about 15-20 min walk to the main city square. I personally really enjoyed wandering in the morning. You walk through a relatively tourist free area, with all the locals selling fresh vegetables and spices. Then into the souq, with lots of tourists and your usual salesmen trying to get you into their shops and finally into the main square. The riad is off the main tourist path which I think was great. Gives you a small glimpse into the more local life of Marrakech. However I would say unless you have an incredibly good sense of direction take a little note book and write yourself directions. It is an easy route once your used to it, however when you first get there and everything seems to look the same it’s a great help.

As you can probably tell, I loved the Riad Porte Royale and most definitely would stay there again; it’s less of an ‘if’ and more a ‘when’. It offers great value for money, a serene atmosphere (especially needed after the craziness of Marrakech). Most of all you know you’re in safe and good hands.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
philipbrebner, OWNER at Riad Porte Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2009

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We noted your comment on the drains in the Douriya Room. A plumber resolved the problem, and the smell—to date—has disappeared.

Reviewed 24 February 2008

We chose this riad because of the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor and the intriguing photos here, on hipmarrakech.com and riadporteroyale.com. Our expectations were exceeded. Mohammed, Hajiba, and owner Philip were charming and very helpful. The location is excellent, in a friendly, non-touristy neighborhood in the old Medina, just a 15 minute walk through the winding passageways through the souks to the Jemma al Fnaa market square. The architecture of the riad is stunningly beautiful, and the atmosphere is quiet, cool, and peaceful, particularly after spending the day out in the hectic streets of Marrakech. The prepared meals were tasty, the mint tea was delightful. Philip arranged a two-day hiking trip in the Atlas Mountains through an associated tour operator (Epic Morocco), and we had an excellent hiking experience with an English-speaking and well-educated guide.

The Riad location is also just a 10 minute walk to the Museum of Marrakech and the Madrassa Ben Yousef, both of which feature absolutely stunning architecture and intricate Islamic carving and tile work.

Be sure to minimize or outright avoid paying children for walking you around the souks. Another reviewer mentioned that a child wanted a tip larger than taxi fare. Here's a simple solution -- don't do it! This practice can distort the local economy and undermine children's incentive to go to school -- after all, kids are skipping school to beg for money that allows them to make more in a day of begging than their fathers can make at a legitimate job. It's just the wrong incentive.

In summary, we wholeheartedly recommend the Riad Porte Royale.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 October 2007

We booked this lovely riad directly via the website and the owner Philip was incredibly helpful even before we arrived helping sort bits out. They arranged a taxi to pick up at the airport which was really great. Indeed Mohamed, arranges transport and trips if you want during you stay which is a great way of taking the stress out of things. We had a few days in the mountains and managed to climb touebkal! There are some posh gorgeous restaurants near the riad that are a super treat (again Mohamed can organise and will walk you there and back!). Although equally divine, one night we stayed in the riad and Hajiba cooked an awesome tagine for us to eat under the stars.

Overall the Riad Porte Royale is a great oasis of tranquillity that you so need when visiting this wonderful city. Its clean, and beautiful, the attention to detail in the furnishings is wonderful. It is in the North of the medina which has the advantage of getting you away from the hustle and bustle and also you get to see some local life on the fun walk back (although you can pick up a taxi easily from most places very easily). It took a few attempts to find the riad but that was half the fun and Mohamed was only ever a phone call away!...a compass would have been useful.

It is very safe and the dark alley ways situated around the souks, which confront you on the first day are very safe and I didn't feel uncomfortable like I would in London. Local children are enterprising in the town and near souks and will gladly help you get from A-B if you are lost, although they will expect a tip that is sometimes more that the cost of a taxi. Moreover, get used to them telling you that the road ahead is closed when its not!

Now I am home i am missing the mint tea and the great fresh orange juice. Mohamed and Hajiba are superb hosts and so kind and helpful, they make this Riad work. I would recommend this riad to anyone, but then again maybe its a secrete gem we should keep to our selves!

Stayed: September 2007