“Very nice Riad with a great hospitality!”
Review of Riad Nerja

Riad Nerja
Ranked #506 of 1,187 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed 4 nights in this Riad and liked it very much. Everything was very clean, nice staff which was always willing to help us finding the way, making reservations, ... It´s good located in the old part of the citiy, around 15 min walk to the main square Jemaa El Fna. The breakfast was traditional and very good. The only thing which was a bit negative was the way home when it was dark. It´s not dangerous but there is no light in the streets so it makes it a little difficult especially as the streets are not in the best condition. Would recommend to take a pocket lamp :-) I would choose this Riad again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Before you read this comment it is important to know that in Marocco/Marrakech nobody does anything for free...
If you arrive in the train station of an european city nobody is going to carry your luggage for 20 minutes to the hotel for free, well guess what in Marocco it's the same. You just have to learn to say no thank you and they will leave you alone, if you let them carry then you have to pay.

Ok now the Riad Nerja:
We went to this Riad for 4 nights because Riad Catalina was taken. It was our first experience in Marocco. We got there late in the evening (22:00) so the owner wasn't there anymore, but there was somebody watching the hotel for him. Our cab driver called for the adress and the man of the Riad came out and helped us with our suitcases. He only spoke french like most people in Marrakech but we managed to communicate.

He led us to the room, which was the Main Room (Sultan Room) it was big enough and had a big tub in it and airconditioning, but nothing more (which we didn't need. I don't need an old tv with arabic networks). The other rooms looked quite small and not as nice so far as we could see. WIFI was available in the room which wasn't the case in Riad Catalina, it was nice to be able to look what to do the next day in your comfy bed.

We wanted to go to the market (city square) and even after he walked with us and showed the way and we even took photo's of the main points where we had gone left or right, on the way back we got lost of course. At around 23:30. I was together with my girlfriend (24 & 24 yrs old) and it wasn't that scary as described here. But I wouldn't want to walk alone as a girl in Marrakech at night! As a couple it was not a problem.
We asked a man the way after an hour and he got another man wo would happily lead us there (against payment of course about 20 dirham = 2 euro). The walk to the city centre is 20 minutes through alleys. We didn.t mind at all, then you see the real morrocan people which are mostly very friendly.

In the morning we had a lovely breakfast in the courtyard and in the evening after a tiring day in marrakech we relaxed in the tub and afterwards on the roof terrace. The owner was friendly and helpfull. And for another complaint that i read here often, it is always much more expensive to have a cab called and take you away from the hotel then when you find one yourself. First off they of course have to drive to the hotel and then also your destination. Often it are a little bigger taxi's as well. This was the case in both Riad's and the hotel where we stayed, so this is normal in marrakech.

Riad Catalina was much more beautifull and has a better location (we stayed there the last night of our holiday) but as an alternative it did the job very wel!! Nice host & hostess and personell.

Room Tip: The Sultan Room has a kingsize bed and has a big tub in it! The other rooms looked quite small.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I really loved this Riad and I am extremely happy I stayed here while in Marrakech, it was so hospitable and quaint . I will say that the Riad at first is not easy to find, you will have to ask for directions to get there or take a taxi cab which would be easier. But I actually like that it was a little away from the center, it made me know a little more about the back streets away from a lot of tourism. Your walk to the hotel allows you to see the daily life of Marrakech society and culture which for me was great. The room itself was also very clean and comfortable, and the shower was surprisingly very large. We did not have any problems with the room whatsoever and the breakfast was really great ! Traditional Moroccan bread and tea was served and it really fills you and is amazing. The employees of the hotel speak French and English and although some only spoke French I was helped out so much even while trying to communicate with them in my broken French. The owner was very helpful with day trips (book at least a day in advance!) and really made us feel welcomed and helped us with whatever we needed. Highly recommended because of the service, atmosphere and cleanliness of the Riad ! I hope to return to the Riad if I return to Marrakech! Ashley

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Future guest of Marrakesh, we can be very brief about this hotel. Riad Nerja has a great hospitality with excellent staff who are always ready to assist and take care of you. It’s like a hidden secret in the midst of the medina.
There is also a possibility to dine in the hotel , the food is great , make sure you make a reservation in the morning in order for the staff to buy fresh ingredients for your tailor made dinner. By the way the serve very good Maroccan whine too, just ask for it. This hotel is really worth to visit, very atmospheric and extremely quiet in the hart of the medina, highly recommended if you want a authentic Moroccan experience.
To all the staff of the Raid Nerja, thank you for your excellent service.

Steven

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I put a lot of effort into finding what I thought was the right Riad for a trip I planned for my mothers 60th with my sisters. I wanted it to be amazing, having been to Marrakech before I wanted my family to love it as much as I did.

Unfortunately our stay at Riad Nerja was not as I had hoped.

There were no other guest (or staff) this may have seemed like a bonus as we get the place to ourselves with undivided attention...didn't happen.

The Problems.
1. Firstly, it is customary in Morocco to be greeted with warm mint tea. Instead we got the owner coughing and spluttering everywhere because he had a cold. He also had his coat on, (the Riad was freezing the whole time we were there - see point 2).

2. Heating in 1 room and the communal area didn't work.
3. The Riad is about a 15min walk through very dark, very narrow derbs (alleys) quite nerve racking. I thought I had prepared myself for this but the reality is something else. The distance is not as close as other reviewers have said.

4. We were awoken each morning by the owner clanking & banging pots, making our breakfast. he was doing this at 8am. We weren't usually ready for breakfast until 10am, by which time all the breakfast was cold & had to be reheated in the microwave & became rubbery, disgusting.

5. The breakfast was laid in the cold central court everyday even though we preferred using the advertised roof terrace to catch what little there was of the morning sun. The owner begrudgingly laid the breakfast out there once because I insisted on our last morning.

6. On leaving he attempted to charge us for teas we had in the evening, something we assumed was complimentary. We said this and he instantly dropped the idea of charging, seemed like he was trying it on.

All in all very disappointing. This Riad was low to mid price range, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for (& sometimes a little less)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mak D
Reviewed 8 May 2011

At first time, the riad isn' t easy to find, but soon you get used to the alleys etc and even are going to enjoy it. Very friendly and helpful staff and breakfast and diner are unbelievable good! The roof terrace is an oasis of rest, in daytime and also very romantic in the evening. Rooms are beautiful and taken good care for.
the big square, the souks, royal palace, menarsa school, all are walking distance.
tip: take a ride by caleche to the Majorelle garden, so great.
the manager organized on our request a trip to Ourika Valley, (luxury) car + driver to our disposal for the whole day, and for a reasonnable price. Recommended.

Room Tip: the sultane suite
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2011

My partner and I spent a wonderful 4 days and nights at Riad Nerja. Every morning we were greeted with the smiling faces and laughter of Aoued and Fatima. The breakfasts with the bread hand made by Fatima are not to be missed. Aoued also doubles up as a chef and one evening cooked us a sumptuous lemon chicken tagine. The Riad is only about 20 mins walking distance of the Djemaa El Fna (main square) and at the price is a real gem. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple