“Great hotel!”

TUI SENSIMAR Medina Gardens
Ranked #112 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Medina Gardens hotel from 19th - 26th June 2014 with my boyfriend. The check in was swift, we were handed a cold towel at the entrance to the hotel as well as a sugary non alcoholic cocktail and cakes, no queuing at all, the only thing which got a little irritating was the song 'Happy' by Pharell Williams on loop in the reception during the check in. The location of the hotel was brilliant, being only 5 mins away from the souks. We had a pool view room which was lovely although the pool entertainment can get a little loud and goes on till around 11pm which I wouldn't mind but it's just the same 2 guys singing the same few songs. One night I thought I was going mad as they sang the same song at least 4 times back to back. We spoke to another couple who's room was facing the front of the hotel and they said there was absolutely no noise at all so we asked to move but got told the hotel was full (although it seemed very very empty). This meant that we had to sleep with ear plugs in for the rest of the holiday. The drinks are VERY strong - half spirit half mixer, so I would just ask for a half measure of the spirit. The food was really really good and they have a different theme for the food every evening which meant there was a huge choice although over the last 2 days we did both get ill but this could have been due to a combination of the heat and just the change of cuisine as I checked my food at every meal to make sure it was cooked through. The staff were great, Imad was a real help to us, a pool towel went missing from our room (a replacement is around £8!) but he gave us another, free of charge and our towels also went missing from the poolside the next day while we were playing table tennis, he gave us another 2 for free again. We did the Ouzoud Cascades trip which was a brilliant but tiring day out and the tour guide Mohammed was absolutely hilarious and easily spoke the best English I'd heard all holiday! I also had the spa package, the massages were nothing to rave about but the hammam scrub was great! There were plenty of sun loungers and there is a main pool as well as a quiet pool which I preferred. Overall the holiday was fab and I would definitely return to the Medina Gardens!

Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,287)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had an amazing holiday here. The staff and hotel were amazing and made our stay lovely. Couple of bad points were that myself and my partner were VERY ill at certain points of the holiday but it only lasted 24hrs each!!! And most people get ill at some point on holiday so I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about! We had a hotel room that faced the pool and unfortunately they play the music sooooooo loud until the early hours which can be very annoying when you need to go out early in the morning!! Other than that we had a brilliant time!! Highly recommend!! Ps get the red bus tour... Totally worth it so you can see the things you want without a time frame!! Xx

Room Tip: Not on the pool side near to where the bar is!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DSA999
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Excellent hotel, with a good central location, friendly staff and all the rest, would recommend to anyone. Stayed there with my girlfriend only last week.

My only complaint is that some of complaints on this review site are ridiculous, and some people need to sort out their priorities in life.

The food was lovely, this is the 300 or so dishes that were out every breakfast lunch and dinner. No illness for me but I wouldn't be surprised if someone got a little ill from both the new environment, change in ingredients/oil and trouble adapting with a British stomach. If you're not feeling adventurous they have pizza and chips to go for.

The staff's English was pretty good, and when speaking to them they were all lovely, only the odd friendly misunderstanding now and then. Only the accents they have trouble with after speaking to one bartender (which I'm not too surprised, considering they all speak both Arabic and French anyway, like most of the population.) They are rather generous on the portions of spirits, expect your spirit and mixer to be half and half hehe.

Sarah and Ahmed were both really nice and helpful, any tour we went on was well done and well organised. Very approachable if you need them.
oh you can also feed the tortoises if you ask sarah nicely.

Gardens were well kept along with all of the facilities, the maids were nice too! I'm sure I've missed some stuff out, but I had a lovely time there anyway like all the others there with me. I'm sure you can find something to moan about if you look hard enough (there was one cloud!). But anyway, best hotel I've stayed in!

16  Thank Mickey M
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed at the Medina for a week from the 17th July. Initially a tad concerned because I booked before the refurbishment was complete, so no reviews were available, however We really shouldn't have been. From arrival when you are offered wet flannels and asked to sit out on the veranda rather than join the normal queue at reception, through to our departure, where staff come out to wave you off, the hotel was exceptional. The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly, the food was of a very good quality, the room was clean and airy, whilst the facilities having obviously been refurbished were perfect.
Located a 5 minute walk from the souks, the location couldn't be bettered. We met many lovely people, and overwhelmingly the feeling held by everybody was that Thomson had about got it right. Whilst there were too many positives to list, my only negatives to list were that the gardens visit was really not worth doing, and the quad ride got a bit hairy because maintenance of the quads is really not that good. However neither of these two were directly under Thomson's control.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Graham B
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I would echo what everybody else has said, lovely staff, relaxing hotel, a day or so in bed ill, things being taken from rooms even from a safe etc etc. If you choose a 2nd floor room with hot tub be aware that they are not as private as you may think. I had to leave my balcony on a couple of occasions as the hot tubs below where being used in an 'adult way' shall we say. The shades above the veranda does not block out the view from above. I would have liked to have seen the dress code for dinner in the evenings being enforced. A gala dinner with some residents dressed up and others in swim ware doesn't make for a special gala dinner. Overall a good place to stay for the price in a good location.

Room Tip: rooms looking over the pool can be very noisy as some guests can confuse a couples hotel for 18-30...
7  Thank 795jan
Reviewed 25 July 2014

10/07/2014 Got to the Hotel about 12.30 am we were greeted at the door with damp face cloths.and ask to sit down and drinks and snacks were served to us. I felt this was a lovely gesture. They told us that the restaurant was being kept open for us. Then was shown to our rooms lovely room with pool view basket of fruit fridge with water and coke in and a bottle of wine.We did get a free safe and free Air con.
We met some fantastic people here Caz, Aaron, Janet, Terry,Alison,Terry, and chaz and Dave. They made our holiday. thank you It's good to laugh.
Tea coffee kettle and cups but they forgot milk lol. dressing gowns.
Everything very clean and was kept that way all week.The staff very friendly nothing was to much trouble.Entertainment basic but good until one of the guest BOB took over and sang most of the week that was great.They had two pools one a quiet one but there was a bit of work going on outside that couldn't be helped. but still some guest complained. Lovely grounds we didn't bother going to the Indian are the steak restaurants didn't feel the need the main restaurant was very good something for everyone even my husband who is a very fussy eater.
There was still guest that complained about noise, food, and anything else they could find wrong, TIP if you want to go to bed after dinner and need quiet don't ask for pool view rooms request a quiet room or stay at home.
I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again but would book room with jaccuzi they are bigger and the jaccuzi powerful.
The staff went the extra mile and a big thank you to them all.

Room Tip: We was in room 112 pool view very good but if you want quiet don't ask for pool view. Just reque...
8  Thank jonzy123
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Helpful friendly & polite staff. Great amenities . Would recommend this comfortable hotel.
Excellent food. Went half board but food was plentiful & did not need lunch - plus it was so hot 44 degrees.
Plenty of shaded areas to relax.
Only downfall, if there has to be one, is the evening entertainment.

3  Thank LynL429