“beware of the pool staff and the housekeepers” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sensimar Medina Gardens

Sensimar Medina Gardens
Ranked #108 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Newport, United Kingdom
“beware of the pool staff and the housekeepers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

i have just returned from Medina Gardens on Thursday 31st July having spent a week there with my wife celebrating our recent wedding this is where we chose to spend our honeymoon.
as with most of the reviews on here, we had a trouble free , quick transfer to the hotel where we were met with a non alcoholic cocktail and a damp towel to freshen up.
the rooms we very clean, complementry bottle of wine and Champagne ( as it was our honeymoon) on arrival, the pool area was always kept clean, as was the rest of the hotel, i have no complaints regarding the cleanliness and the range , type of food served in the hotel.
now for the negative points ....
The Entertainment was very poor and not enough, as this was a "couples only " hotel
there still needed to be some form of entertainment throughout the day , not just 2 hours per night...we are adults (not kids) , it doesnt mean we all packed our knitting needles, we also like to be entertained when we are on holiday, i see someone was complaining on here about people being drunk at night, this was probably out of boredom...
about 90 % of the hotel were All Inclusive , myself and my wife were Half Board, my niggle here was, at breakfast and evening meal, which i prepaid, i was surprised that when i asked for a glass of water i was charged for it, although i could have had Tea, Coffee, multiple Juices etc...
water was being given out by the bucket load to All Inclusive , which i understand , but i would have thought a glass of water with my meal would have been free.
This is the main point that everyone should read..
having spent a few days around the pool i started hearing stories of people having electronic
equipment stolen from around the pool side , in particular Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phones and also various Kindles , these were reported to hotel staff, but each individual was asked not to alarm other guests and to "keep quiet" about it..my point here is, i returned to my room in the day to charge my wifes "Samsung Galaxy" phone up as it was nearly dead , i was alarmed to find the charger and my euro plugged removed from the wall and no where to be seen,
i opened the door and found the housekeeper (who was cleaning the room further up the corridor) i asked if she had removed it , she looked at me as if she did not understand me and ran off...she returned with 2 other housekeepers ,i asked all 3 of them about it again they then started arguing amonst themselves, at which point the one girl called KAMAR, sheepishly walked upto her housekeeping trolley and reached into a draw/box and returned my charger to me , i called to reception to report this theft, they immediately sent up there Housekeeping Manager to resolve the incident . the conclusion she got from the girls was that , KAMAR had found it on the unit and "thought" i was throwing it out , ( although , when she gave it back to me, she did not retreve it from her "bin".) as i have already said, it was plugged in the wall !!!.
i spoke to Iman later that day to find out if any more had been done about it, but he wasnt even aware of the incident, he contacted the housekeeping Manager to be told the "story" to which i think he believed them, i explained i had 3 other chargers around the room, but only the Samsung was "thrown out " ...coincidence ..........
i later heard that within the week i was their, 8 Samsung phones had been stolen from around the pool, and countless items from rooms, ranging from small amounts of money, make-up and even flip flops, just before i left i was informed that one woman had £20 "missing" from her room
had had it replaced by the reception ( was this there way of keeping her quiet , but also excepting they have a problem with there housekeeping staff)but would like to keep it quiet..
i know i have had a rant but there may be a small amount of individuals that are potentialy ruining a lot of peoples holiday ,especially those who have lost pricless pictures on there phones,, this is a lovely hotel, but this type of issue can and will damage the reputation if nothing appears to be done about them..

Room Tip: i was facing the pool and there was no issue with noise, sun shining through the windows every eveni...
      Location
21 Thank jason b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Hotel looks good and booking in was easy. The room is excellent, clean and modern.. Superb big bed. Safe doesn't work but is due to be fixed. Down side. 5am Call to prayer. Very very loud and Long.........that will happen every day it seems. Breakfast. Not that impressive. Dirty cutlery, fruit that looks like it should have been thrown away a week ago. Definate room for improvement on that front

Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LUFC15
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I score a very good for this hotel. Thomsons says it is 4 star, but I would give a 3 for the rooms and 4 for the restaurant experience and the excellent staff to work at this hotel.

I score 3 for the room as we had a few problems. We had a standard room facing the city, lovely view, got the sun on the afternoon and was quiet on an evening. There was not much room to move around in the room, it could do with the little table and one chair being removed from these rooms. Bathroom needed some renovation already, but sure they will sort that in time. Ladies please note, there are no shampoos or hair conditioner provided, its one of those all in one shower dispensers stuck on the wall, same as what you get in the Premier Inn. Soap is provided but no soap dish, there is also a soap dispenser next to the sink and this is ok. Our air conditioning was nice and cold, a bit noisy and didnt work when we arrived but was quickly fixed. The hairdryer in the drawer was quite powerful and hot. The bath towels were quite small and we had to ask for bigger ones, plus one day the towels we put in the bath to wash ended up back on the rack plus the bath mat, all were dirty! quickly swopped. At day 4 we ended up having to visit reception to ask when they would change the sheets, this they did straight away, we had been out the 2 previous days and got back late both nights so didnt get time to notify the management we just expected they would be changed the next day.

The restuarant was very clean, I wouldnt say it had been totally refurbished as there were still left over tinsel on the ceiling, I guess they have given it a quick paint and provided new furniture which was very good and comfortable. I like the set up of the tables and found the waiters to be very good. They were always asking if we wanted another drink both at lunch time and dinner, no trying to get attention as people first stated. Glasses and plates were very clean. The food overall was very good. I avoided the tepid food, I think you will find its this food that is making people ill. The silver hot plate is hot, I felt it and the lights are hot, SO, if they brought the food out hot from the kitchen it would stay hot, its not rocket science, but 3 times I watched the chefs bring food out of the kitchen with their bare hands and put the food on the hot plate! I like scrambled egg and they brought some from the kitchen and put it on the hot plate, so I got some, it was cold, I said to the guy this is cold and he said it would warm up on the hot plate! Hotel management this is a simple fix. All the other food cooked at the stations was excellent. The soups were delicious and bread was the freshest I have had at a hotel. I was normally too full to eat a desert but managed some fruit. There is a huge choice of food, something for everyone. The all inclusive package is excellent, although avooid the baileys, it came from a baileys bottle, tasted like baileys, but it was watery, not the baileys I drink at home. We ate at the snack bar one day and got panninis which were not that nice, the salami was some sort of red processed meat, not very nice, nothing compared to the lunch time buffet, but good if you miss lunch as lunch finishes at 2:30 and the snack bar closes at 4:00pm. We didnt try the Indian.

Entertainment was fine, one day of the week at gala dinner night there was a band who played until late, although we couldnt hear them much as their speakers and microphone werent too good, plus if sitting at the tables near the restaurant you cant see much for the plants that block your view and the sun loungers they leave in the way. I thought the two guys who worked mostly out of the smaller bar were ok, although they have gone now. The african show was good and the acrobats but both lasted only 30 minutes or so.

There are not many toilets in the resort and already the flush button systems are broken, as management say they are under warranty so will be fixed by the supplier, 7 days later still not repaired. I think the hotel management need to be checking the hotel for problems and not relying on holiday makers to point out problems. They are quick to respond but they should be checking everything themselves.

We met a lot of lovely people at this hotel. I was really disappointed that a lot of the guests had items stolen whilst they sunbathed, it seemed it happened to a lot of people whilst staying around the pools, phones, kindels, its not what you expect. We were on the grass which was peaceful.

Be careful if choosing a room with a jacuzzi on the balcony that you behave in there, there was a guy said he was fed up with the couple below his balcony and he had told the guy but he just told him to get a life, I thought there was going to be a bit of a fight but it all quietened down, but then the guy who complained told my husband he had a video of what was going on in the balcony below and see who would be laughing then, I hope he was just kidding, as the people in question may be very embarrassed. Thats the problem sometime with all inclusive drinks, sometimes people do things they wouldnt normally do. The balconies are not private.

If you have been offered a good price to stay here and you have not been to Morocco before I would definately recommend this hotel. Just be careful with your belongings and check the food you eat is thoroughly cooked and has come from the kitchen hot and you will be fine. We will not go back just yet, only because whilst we were there we had an opportunity to see some other excellent hotels with better standards and cheaper pricing. Certainly in the future if reviews continue to be good we may return.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the city are quiet
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank JacqBMiddlesbrough
Redcar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Had a bit of trepidation before booking this hotel as it was new to Thomson's and I was not sure whether Morocco would be an enjoyable or safe place as I did not want to be stuck in a hotel for a week, verdict......? nothing to worry about on both fronts.

The bottom line is that it was a nice hotel, with good food in a good location with plenty to see and experience if you venture out.

The details !

Room - Clean pleasant, hair dryer, complimentary fruit bowl, quiet air conditioning, comfortable firm beds, safe, plasma tv with lots of English channels, fridge, soap and shampoo provided, also towels and dressing gowns and slippers, bath with overhead shower.

Pool - two to choose from, one is a quite pool no music. The 2 English musicians play in the afternoon and evening. Good temperature not too cold. Plenty of sunbeds, but people reserve the double ones before 6 in the morning and don't show til 11am.

Hotel - English and French guests. Quite no children so good for couples. Very friendly and helpful staff. 2 main bars, beer is very good as is the red wine. Gardens are nice but small. There are a number of shops just opposite the main entrance for those who do not dare venture too far. Main square only 5 mins away and you can see the mosque from the hotel gardens.

Food - Varies each night with themed nights such as French, Italian, Moroccan, Mexican, Chinese etc so you will never get bored, tip the waiters and you will get copious amounts of alcohol. Outdoor Chinese was very good, was ill the next day not sure if that was the cause.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
9 Thank shackleston
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Medina Gardens hotel from 19th - 26th June 2014 with my boyfriend. The check in was swift, we were handed a cold towel at the entrance to the hotel as well as a sugary non alcoholic cocktail and cakes, no queuing at all, the only thing which got a little irritating was the song 'Happy' by Pharell Williams on loop in the reception during the check in. The location of the hotel was brilliant, being only 5 mins away from the souks. We had a pool view room which was lovely although the pool entertainment can get a little loud and goes on till around 11pm which I wouldn't mind but it's just the same 2 guys singing the same few songs. One night I thought I was going mad as they sang the same song at least 4 times back to back. We spoke to another couple who's room was facing the front of the hotel and they said there was absolutely no noise at all so we asked to move but got told the hotel was full (although it seemed very very empty). This meant that we had to sleep with ear plugs in for the rest of the holiday. The drinks are VERY strong - half spirit half mixer, so I would just ask for a half measure of the spirit. The food was really really good and they have a different theme for the food every evening which meant there was a huge choice although over the last 2 days we did both get ill but this could have been due to a combination of the heat and just the change of cuisine as I checked my food at every meal to make sure it was cooked through. The staff were great, Imad was a real help to us, a pool towel went missing from our room (a replacement is around £8!) but he gave us another, free of charge and our towels also went missing from the poolside the next day while we were playing table tennis, he gave us another 2 for free again. We did the Ouzoud Cascades trip which was a brilliant but tiring day out and the tour guide Mohammed was absolutely hilarious and easily spoke the best English I'd heard all holiday! I also had the spa package, the massages were nothing to rave about but the hammam scrub was great! There were plenty of sun loungers and there is a main pool as well as a quiet pool which I preferred. Overall the holiday was fab and I would definitely return to the Medina Gardens!

Stayed June 2014
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had an amazing holiday here. The staff and hotel were amazing and made our stay lovely. Couple of bad points were that myself and my partner were VERY ill at certain points of the holiday but it only lasted 24hrs each!!! And most people get ill at some point on holiday so I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about! We had a hotel room that faced the pool and unfortunately they play the music sooooooo loud until the early hours which can be very annoying when you need to go out early in the morning!! Other than that we had a brilliant time!! Highly recommend!! Ps get the red bus tour... Totally worth it so you can see the things you want without a time frame!! Xx

Room Tip: Not on the pool side near to where the bar is!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank DSA999
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Excellent hotel, with a good central location, friendly staff and all the rest, would recommend to anyone. Stayed there with my girlfriend only last week.

My only complaint is that some of complaints on this review site are ridiculous, and some people need to sort out their priorities in life.

The food was lovely, this is the 300 or so dishes that were out every breakfast lunch and dinner. No illness for me but I wouldn't be surprised if someone got a little ill from both the new environment, change in ingredients/oil and trouble adapting with a British stomach. If you're not feeling adventurous they have pizza and chips to go for.

The staff's English was pretty good, and when speaking to them they were all lovely, only the odd friendly misunderstanding now and then. Only the accents they have trouble with after speaking to one bartender (which I'm not too surprised, considering they all speak both Arabic and French anyway, like most of the population.) They are rather generous on the portions of spirits, expect your spirit and mixer to be half and half hehe.

Sarah and Ahmed were both really nice and helpful, any tour we went on was well done and well organised. Very approachable if you need them.
oh you can also feed the tortoises if you ask sarah nicely.

Gardens were well kept along with all of the facilities, the maids were nice too! I'm sure I've missed some stuff out, but I had a lovely time there anyway like all the others there with me. I'm sure you can find something to moan about if you look hard enough (there was one cloud!). But anyway, best hotel I've stayed in!

16 Thank Mickey M