“Small and friendly but not for us...”

Sensimar Medina Gardens
Ranked #109 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
birmingham
“Small and friendly but not for us...”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

First, arrival at airport long and disorganised
(2.5hour long)
Arrival at hotel welcoming, relaxed and calmed my mood from the dreadful experience from airport. The room clean and comfortable. Cleaned daily. Meal was not the best me being vegetarian and partner very particular with his meals. But I found it slightly worrying that there was no hand washing facilities. As pleasant as restaurant staff are they were making egg dishes and juices oranges without washing there hands also frying fish and chicken with gloves on yes... but without changing his gloves when moving between the two. There were theme nights but the food seemed the same to us. Sara thomson rep lovely but entertainment none none none existence in the day. Thomson should rename hotel as adults only not couples! !!!!!I nice hotel but not for us.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank marion d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Having not had an overseas holiday for 3 years we booked 2 weeks before we flew. We were not quite sure having read mixed reviews but we are more than happy with the choice of holiday and hotel.

Marrakech is great, not too hot (35°C), not too much hassle and an easy place to walk to all parts in an hour or two, (walking without purpose).

Now the hotel.

The check-in was efficient and we were late in arriving and they kept the restaurant open past the normal closing time.

The welcome meeting was as usual with these holidays, a waste of time.... some useful information but mainly sell, sell, sell. A one page A4 would suffice.

Imad was very good and was willing to get a resolution to any issue which may arise.

The main restaurant was very good in terms of the range of food and the waiting staff. Suggestion for improvement would be to have the cutlery for outside tables kept inside the restaurant as there are many birds in the gardens and they leave `deposits` (on chairs, tables, cutlery) which they seem to do with regularity. This is not nice and can put people off.

Room cleaning service was good.

Bar staff were excellent, especially Mustapha, a star in the making.

As this is a Couples Hotel, the grounds were sympathetically laid out. The quiet areas were especially welcome, particularly with the Brits. No wonder British (English really) holidaymakers have a bad rep, loud, foul mouthed bunch.

Now the only real down side. The Indian restaurant was a waste of time. Utterly horrid..... Don't bother. We didn't try the other extra restaurants. Sometimes the drinks can be a little strange and food can be not as hot as expected but that is the way it can be around the Med.

All in all a great holiday but would we go back?

Marrakech YES!!!!
Medina Gardens POSSIBLY, POSSIBLY NOT ???????
14 DAYS NO......likely 4 to 7

Room Tip: Avoid a pool room if possible......music is OK BUT loud and foul language at 2am is not.
4 Thank PBDavid
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from the Medina Gardens Hotel. We'd read all the reviews prior to booking and were quite impressed by what we read. We booked 14 nights A/I.
We couldn't have hoped for a better holiday such a short flight away, normally do the Caribbean in 5* at this time of year, but we were looking for something closer. The main reason to just relax.
The hotel may not be 5* but what I can say is that the service/food/staff/cleanliness/ and location for a non beach holiday on our eyes was 5*.

Check in. How easy, 10 minutes transfer met by the lovely Ahmed. Greeted with cold towels, non alcoholic drinks, and little cakes, plus Pharrel singing "Happy" on the piped music. No queuing at reception, they came to us. Given our wristbands, room numbers and paperwork, then went to dinner while the suitcases were taken to our room.

Room. Air conditioned but we requested a fan, which reception said they didn't have so sent (maintenance man) Briham our saviour who tampered with A/C then went and returned 20 mins later with a fan, nothing to much trouble for him. Room is on the small side but you sleep there!!!! what do you want a big room for, perhaps furniture could be a bit smaller, plenty of storage, bed perfect and bed linen/ changed alternate days, towels every day. Bathrobes provided and moisturiser plus liquid soap on the walls, don't complain about shampoo and conditioner or "soap dish" minor little things that aren't necessaries. We had pool view, noise from bar or entertainment didn't affect us, quite nice to hear people enjoying themselves at night its a holiday. The mosque yes was quite loud and persistent throughout the nights on the 1st week but it was Ramadan and to be honest it's an Arab country in the city and what people expect I don't understand, I've recorded it and set it as my alarm tone.

Food. Amazing lots to choose from so always something to eat, could be hotter but from my experience of A/I that's across the board and no different from other hotels. Lovely egg selection for breakfast and bread selection to die for, Salads, Pasta bar excellent, waiting staff and restaurant managers on the ball, happy to do anything or get anything for you. 1 suggestion would be for a member of staff to be stood at entrance to restaurant with the alcohol hand gel as where it's situated behind 2 pot plants people aren't using it. Chairs in restaurant although all brand new a bit uncomfortable to narrow and quite a few wobbley legs. A'la Carte we didn't try as restaurant food was good enough.

Pool. Fantastic, clean, cool, plenty if sun loungers, if you want the fancy sun loungers get up early and place your towels on them, don't complain all day, a sun lounger is a sun lounger and there's plenty of them along with amazing parosols. Maybe better steps into pool a lot of people struggled getting in and out and one lady couldn't use it at all in 2 weeks due to this....walk in steps on one side would be brilliant. Gardens plenty of beds and shade, and a smaller quieter pool to.

Staff. Ahmed (Thompsons) Imad (guest relations) were all I can say is fantastic, nothing was to much trouble, I cannot begin to write how much assistance and advice and trouble they went to for my partner and I to have a brilliant holiday and be able to experience some of Marrakesh. Everyday they would ask how we were, if there was anything we needed or anything they could do. And along with Sarah (entertainments organiser) who in my opinion put heart and soul in trying to motivate people into participating in activities you have a team 2nd to none. It would be a shame if Thompsons don't hold onto them. The old band Guy and Jack were good, singing easy listening, few music games passed an evening and I'm sure the new band you will find just as entertaining, she has a brilliant voice and gets the holiday makers up dancing. Outside traditional entertainment twice a week was very good to. It was nice to sit round the pool at night on the sun loungers watching in comfort.

Bar. Drinks plentiful, quite strong could improve cocktails but no complaints really. Suggestion would be to have waiter service on the day around the pool and at night, pool bar only stocked soft drinks and beer the coffee machine constantly broke, so you had to dry off get your shoes on and go into the main bar for cocktails, spirits, hot drinks. Plus another toilet closer to the pool would be an improvement.

On site spa which I used, very reasonable and good selection of treatments available. On site shop little expensive but that's the norm. And a gym which I avoided.

Directly outside hotel a traditional market/shop center, go have a look some real bargains.

All in all a great place to stay. Central to everything. Great staff great atmosphere, and clean. We will be returning a very enjoyable relaxing holiday

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cazz0109
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lovely reception received on arrival with drinks and cold flannelettes. The staff were very courteous and helpful and took all our cases to our rooms whilst we settled in the lobby. There was wine, water and soft drinks awaiting us in our room with rose petals all around!
A good range of food and drinks were available and the place was very clean and tidy. We went on a few excursions arranged through the Hotel which were great value for money. The Atlas Mountains and A Taste of Riad are a must visit. All in all had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The only downside to the holiday was there was a phone thief about and at least three went missing in the week we were there.. Otherwise I would have given this a complete five circle rating.

5 Thank PaulL8753BB
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Me and my wife stayed at the medina gardens for 11 nights in July

When you arrive at Marrakech expect to be met by cheeky buggars trying to put your bags on the coaches and pressuring people or money, we ignored them and we were left alone

The hotel.....
The welcome was fantastic and the checking in was slick, we were met by the general manager on arrival and the luggage etc was taken care of
The first night was a little noisy with a few diving in the pool at daft o'clock and our hearts sunk!! The staff didn't seem to know how to deal with the few idiots

This was a one off though to be fair the entertainment was wrapped up before midnight and the place had a relaxed vibe

All inclusive cocktails were not the same as the cocktails the half board people were paying for, they were out of a machine and not freshly made, the lager was bottled and decent (always cold) 5.2%

I mad the guest services is fantastic, Sarah the rep is a nice lass but I don't think there is much for her to do, it's couples and people just generally want to chill out

Iv heard reports of things going missing... I had an iphone 5, an iPod & docking station and a £600 camera in our room and none were touched we had nothing go missing

The food is good and the desserts fantastic, I did have a dodgy stomach for 2 days but my wife was fine the whole holiday

• Stayed July 2014
14 Thank Gaznlayla
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed in the Medina Gardens for 10 days in early July and had a fantastic time.
First visit to Marrakech, and would strongly recommend it.
Very warm welcome on arrival (drinks and cold towels), and we were checked in quickly.
Room was lovely, cleaned everyday and the cleaning staff were very helpful. Gorgeous big bed!
Food was delicious, plenty of choice everyday and good choices for vegetarians. Waiters were very helpful and delivered excellent service, a big thank you to Abdellah and Saleem, who were cheerful every evening - despite it being Ramadan!
The staff team could not do enough, the Thomson rep, Ahmed, was always on hand, and the Services Manager Imad couldn't do enough to help, whether it be fetching drinks or helping with enquiries/taxi services. The reception staff were bubbly and friendly too.
There is a money exchange in the hotel, which is useful as you can change cash little and often.
There are 2 pools, one of them being a 'quiet pool', which is perfect for chilling out with a book.
There is also an a la carte indian restaurant, and a shisha bar, as well as gorgeous gardens to walk around with roses and fruit trees.
The main square of Marrakech (Jemma el Fna) was a 10 minute walk away, and the souks are well worth a visit. Directly opposite the hotel was a small artisan shopping centre, where locals sell their crafts. Lovely little place to walk around, and the prices are set, so it's ideal if you don't want to haggle!
Overall, a wonderful holiday, and I strongly recommend a stay here!

Room Tip: We picked a garden room, which was nice as we were away from the noise of the pool.
12 Thank Emma N
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

i have just returned from Medina Gardens on Thursday 31st July having spent a week there with my wife celebrating our recent wedding this is where we chose to spend our honeymoon.
as with most of the reviews on here, we had a trouble free , quick transfer to the hotel where we were met with a non alcoholic cocktail and a damp towel to freshen up.
the rooms we very clean, complementry bottle of wine and Champagne ( as it was our honeymoon) on arrival, the pool area was always kept clean, as was the rest of the hotel, i have no complaints regarding the cleanliness and the range , type of food served in the hotel.
now for the negative points ....
The Entertainment was very poor and not enough, as this was a "couples only " hotel
there still needed to be some form of entertainment throughout the day , not just 2 hours per night...we are adults (not kids) , it doesnt mean we all packed our knitting needles, we also like to be entertained when we are on holiday, i see someone was complaining on here about people being drunk at night, this was probably out of boredom...
about 90 % of the hotel were All Inclusive , myself and my wife were Half Board, my niggle here was, at breakfast and evening meal, which i prepaid, i was surprised that when i asked for a glass of water i was charged for it, although i could have had Tea, Coffee, multiple Juices etc...
water was being given out by the bucket load to All Inclusive , which i understand , but i would have thought a glass of water with my meal would have been free.
This is the main point that everyone should read..
having spent a few days around the pool i started hearing stories of people having electronic
equipment stolen from around the pool side , in particular Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phones and also various Kindles , these were reported to hotel staff, but each individual was asked not to alarm other guests and to "keep quiet" about it..my point here is, i returned to my room in the day to charge my wifes "Samsung Galaxy" phone up as it was nearly dead , i was alarmed to find the charger and my euro plugged removed from the wall and no where to be seen,
i opened the door and found the housekeeper (who was cleaning the room further up the corridor) i asked if she had removed it , she looked at me as if she did not understand me and ran off...she returned with 2 other housekeepers ,i asked all 3 of them about it again they then started arguing amonst themselves, at which point the one girl called KAMAR, sheepishly walked upto her housekeeping trolley and reached into a draw/box and returned my charger to me , i called to reception to report this theft, they immediately sent up there Housekeeping Manager to resolve the incident . the conclusion she got from the girls was that , KAMAR had found it on the unit and "thought" i was throwing it out , ( although , when she gave it back to me, she did not retreve it from her "bin".) as i have already said, it was plugged in the wall !!!.
i spoke to Iman later that day to find out if any more had been done about it, but he wasnt even aware of the incident, he contacted the housekeeping Manager to be told the "story" to which i think he believed them, i explained i had 3 other chargers around the room, but only the Samsung was "thrown out " ...coincidence ..........
i later heard that within the week i was their, 8 Samsung phones had been stolen from around the pool, and countless items from rooms, ranging from small amounts of money, make-up and even flip flops, just before i left i was informed that one woman had £20 "missing" from her room
had had it replaced by the reception ( was this there way of keeping her quiet , but also excepting they have a problem with there housekeeping staff)but would like to keep it quiet..
i know i have had a rant but there may be a small amount of individuals that are potentialy ruining a lot of peoples holiday ,especially those who have lost pricless pictures on there phones,, this is a lovely hotel, but this type of issue can and will damage the reputation if nothing appears to be done about them..

Room Tip: i was facing the pool and there was no issue with noise, sun shining through the windows every eveni...
21 Thank jason b