“Popular but lacking style”
Review of Toulousain Hotel

Toulousain Hotel
Ranked #405 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 21 July 2011

This place is full all the time because of the price. It is adequate for travelers who just need a place to sleep and a continental breakfast. Not badly located, but be careful of the pitch black street. Except for a palm tree in the courtyard, there is nothing about the Toulousain that would let you know you were in Morocco. The rooms are just basic old furniture, no design, no taste. Baths have hot water, but miniscule towels.

I broke my foot right outside the Toulousain at 7 p.m. in the winter on a Sunday night as there were no street lamps and no businesses open to light my way. Trying to get away from some rubble that I could barely see in the dimmest of light, I inadvertently stepped off the curb with my full weight behind the fall and fractured my foot. The staff were sweet but could not really direct me to a proper doctor or hospital. A friend of mine in Marrakech was called, and he found me an excellent orthopedist.

The owner of the hotel did come back into town, chatted with me about the accident mentioning that i was the THIRD bad fall due to this street lamp problem. He was kind enough to take me to the airport in his car.

The breakfast is good, though not abundant. Rooms are cold as tombs in winter, but you may have heat if you pay extra for a small heater. Beds are plank hard and blankets are heavy as lead but not warm. Sorry about the cliches in description but these are accurate adjectives.

Room Tip: Wireless Internet reaches the downstairs only.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 June 2011

We stayed here after leaving a supposedly luxury hotel. It was a stop gap and we were pleasantly suprised, the hotel was very basic but honest. It was cheap, wi-fi was free, te breakfast was great. Way better than the so called luxury hotel we stayed in. The staff were so helpful, nice and honest and restored our faith in Moroccan people. Another bonus was it being right next door to the wonderful Cafe Au Livre. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BGroovy25
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We spent a couple of nights at Toulousain and really enjoyed it. The room was ground floor and huge with sink. The shared facilities were clean and the breakfast delicious. Free wifi was a prerequisite for us.
Location was good, about a 20 min easy walk to the medina. Hotel is in a quiet location though sound seems to travel a bit from the hallways and someone with kids banging the doors but besides that it was definitely satisfactory - would recommend

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarlyNZ
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I have been staying in this hotel for last two weeks now, and am very happy with several things, first of all, there is no other budget hotel that can match Toulousain, there is a good service with excellent and most kind staff that are taking care of all the clients. Second, the clients that are staying here are very nice too, somehow the hotel is attracting nice people, so again you can't find the one which is even near to this one.The rooms are spacious, they are far from luxurious, but are comfortable and clean. Some of the rooms are going through refurbishment these days, some not. Some are with bathroom and others share it. Cleaning service is excellent on daily basis. The breakfast is generous and tasty, in a lovely surrounding of an old garden. It has its charm. The location is superb and there is no feeling of staying in some cheap hotel. Also, there are no drunken people in the night , around this hotel, which is one more plus point. Tthe hotel is at the top location in Gueliz, very easy to walk around from to visit the city or Marjorelle Gardens etc.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Tihi33
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Stayed here on a recommendation from a very well traveled South African couple. We had a great stay. Book in advance, and get a room with a shower and toilet. Clean, helpful staff, great breakfast included and a great escape from the crazy streets of Marrakech with its location.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SRYAN78
Reviewed 11 August 2010

we stayed in this hotel in july and in august for a total of about 2 weeks - the staff is very friendly and helpful. The courtyards are nice to hang out and have breakfast. A couple of things to be aware of: in summer the rooms are extremely hot! we couldnot sleep until past 1am and woke up at about 7 or 8am due to the heat... they have no fans, or AC so the rooms get hot and stuffy. On our second stay they never gave us towels. Since we never left the hotel past 2pm our room was never cleaned, I would expect them at least to have the courtesy to ask if we wanted to wait in the courtyard while they cleaned, but no. We had a room with a shower and toilet, but the bathroom did not have a door or curtain, so if you are traveling with friends or a partner you would have to be very open with your body and use the toilet or shower without being afraid of being seen....
I think the hotel needs some major improvements - but despite this, I had a good experience staying here...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, in a single room with its own bathroom. The showerhead was not attached to the wall the day I arrived, but the plumber came in and fixed it the next day. Very clean place, good breakfast included, and definitely good value for money. Quite a walk from the medina, but being a lone female traveller, I felt safer in the newer part of town at night that I think I would have felt staying in a hotel in the medina. I would advise to ask for a room that looks out on to one of the courtyards, as my room didnt and was quite dark.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo