“Amazing Trip”
Review of Riad Noir d'Ivoire

Riad Noir d'Ivoire
Ranked #6 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Let me start by saying that all the positive reviews are true! This is lengthy but worth a read.
My husband and I recently returned from Riad Noire D'ivoire. It was a fantastic trip packed with great experiences.

We decided on Marrakech because we wanted somewhere relatively warm in October (before settling into our regular freezing winter in the UK) and a city where we could both relax and explore - whatever worked best on the day!

We could not have picked a better base than Riad Noir D'Ivoire. A beautiful haven just minutes for the medina and short taxi ride to the new town. The owner, Jill, was truely amazing and we had such great e-mail correspondence before we arrived that by the time we acually met Jill, it was a hug rather than a hand shake - we felt at home within minutes of arriving and were in no doubt that we had picked the best possible place to stay.

Jill arranged transfers from the airport to the Riad. We were met by a member of staff who took our luggage to the door of the Riad - through a cobbled street and local market street, then down a quiet alley way leading to an unassuming doorway behind which was our amazing home for the next week. Transfer of our luggage back a week later was with the lovely couscous! See photo!

Damian answered the door, introduced himself and led us to the courtyard, ordered a drink for us and gave us a brief introduction to the Riad. We also met Jill on arrival and we were greeted like old friends. We relaxed for a while by the courtyard/pool area before being taken to our room. It was stunning - The Elephant Suite. the decor of the entire Riad is incredibly beautiful, each room and area has obviously received very individual attention to detail. Very contemporary style incorporating Moroccan design. I loved our room - spacious, airy, stunning bathroom, lovely little balcony onto the inner courtyard. And so it began.........

Each morning we had a lovely breakfast by the pool (you could also have breakfast served on the roof) - fresh orange juice, fresh breads/pastries and eggs cooked any way we wanted them. Perfect way to start the day.

We always returned to the pool area in the evening for a drink before heading out for dinner. Jill and Damian gave us several recommendations, all of which we tried!! None disappointed. On my birthday, after a celebratory breakfast (the staff sang Happy Birthday followed by cake and bubbles!), shopping and then celebratory lunch (!!) at Cafe Arabe (which was one of our favourite haunts for both lunch and dinner) we headed back to the Riad for some pampering - a hamman (a traditional Moroccan bath) followed by an amazing massage. My husband and I loved both treatments and would highly recommend! We then went out for celebartory dinner! We ate at Dar Marjhan - a brilliant Moroccan dining experience. Jill and Amy made sure my birthday was perfect, and it was!

Jill and Amy were amazing hosts. Friendly, hospitable, caring in every way and fonts of knowledge in terms of how to make the best of our time in this crazy vibrant city. I looked forward to bumping into Jill every day for an impromtu chat about places to go, where to shop, where to eat etc. Her knowedge was invaluable and her passion for the Riad and Morocco, heartwarming. She made us feel completely at home throughout our stay.

The staff at the Riad were the nicest, most accommodating people I have come across, and we have travelled to much of the Carribean and Far East. Nothing too much trouble - always close by if you needed anything but never too close to feel crowded. My husband, who speaks Arabic and French, enjoyed his daily chats with the staff and they too made us feel at home. Always met with a lovely smile morning, noon and night - all charming hard working staff.

When we saw Couscous and his cart on our last day, we knew it was time to go. Sad to leave but what a great adventure and wonderful memories.

Thank you to Jill, Amy, Damian and all the incredible staff at the Riad for giving us a fabulous memorable week.

T&Mxx

Room Tip: All rooms are stunning.
1  Thank Beany6567
Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed 10 November 2011

My first contact with this riad was not encouraging as my booking enquiry went unanswered. I tried again and this time got a response. I got the impression that only one room (the smallest - Tourterelles) was available but discovered on my second day that it would have been possible to have booked a more luxurious room.

I transferred from another hotel in Marrakech. I was told that my taxi would be met a short walk from the riad. A person was waiting and said he was there to escort me. As we walked through increasingly narrow streets I got a bit concerned. We did arrive at the riad shortly afterwards when he asked me for a tip as it turned out he was not from the riad after all!

I received a warm welcome and was given lots of helpful suggestions about what to do with my time in Marrakech. I was shown around the deceptively spacious interior before one of the staff was detailed to escort me around the local area to make sure I could find my way back after I had spent the afternoon exploring. This was typical of the attentive and personal level of service that helped me to get the best of my stay in the city

Breakfast is served on the roof terrace which has views of the city and the Katoubia in the distance. There are several tables and some comfortable benches located in the shade. There was also a rather unsightly canopy that covers one of the internal courtyards. Breakfast itself was very tasty with a choice of hot dishes. Occasionally it was left over 30 minutes before being cleared away which attracted flies.

If you feel like having lunch or an evening meal it is possible to have something although they do not really publicise the fact. The food is good quality but choice is limited.

On the day of departure hassle was kept to a minimum as I was able to use my room until leaving for the airport. A transfer, including transport of my luggage to the taxi by Couscous the donkey, was arranged for me.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank ma02202014c
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We decided to go to Marrakech, after hearing so many great stories, to celebrate my husband's 30th Birthday. We already had accommodation booked for 3 nights elsewhere in Marrakech (a large hotel in the La Palmeraie area) but due to the way the flights fell we needed to find something for one night. We wanted to try staying in a traditional riad and came across the Riad Noir d'Ivoire through Tripadvisor . I was thrilled when I realised they had availability and just hoped that the reviews I had read were to be.

Our stay at the Riad Noir d'Ivoire although short was magical and memorable!

We cannot say enough about how excellent the service is. Jill the owner and Damien the manager make you feel incredibly welcome and provide a 1st class personal service. But it doesn't stop there... All staff are very friendly and cannot do enough to make all guests feel welcome. They clearly enjoy working at the riad which is a rare find!

The decor of the riad is beautifully tasteful and despite the riad being surrounded by the mad streets of Marrakech (prefect location btw) it is a real oasis inside.

We are well travelled and have stayed at a number of luxury hotels so have become quite picky travellers over the years but Riad Noir d'Ivoire is up there with the few that have impressed us.

This is one of those few places where it looks great on the website but is even better is real life! Cannot recommend enough...we only wish we could have stayed for longer but we will certainly be returning again.

Restaurants to check out include Bo Zin, Kosy Bar and Nawama...oh and cocktails at the famous La Mamounia hotel.

Room Tip: Any room would be a dream to stay in, however for a special occasion we'd recommend one of the s...
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Having stayed here for 3 days last year with a friend of mine, I have just returned from spending a week here with my partner. I found that 3 days was not long enough to experience all that Marrakech has to offer but to be honest you still struggle to fit it all in in a week! Forcing ourselves out of the comfort of the riad on a daily basis was a struggle and we took full advantage of the 'breakfast anytime anywhere' offer having it one day at 3pm on our private terrace was just wonderful!

I have never returned to a hotel before, I'm usually of the opinion that the world is too big a place to go back to somewhere I have already been, but this Riad is different. You will WANT to come back!

I have already written a review from my previous stay so I am not going to repeat myself here - but I stand by everything I said. The riad is stunning, decorated beautifully with plenty of comfortable & cosy places to chill out and while away the hours. We stayed in the Zebra suite - which is divine & had a private jacuzzi on the terrace. But its not just the decor that delivers the wow factor - its also the people. Jill and her team are on hand 24 hours a day to ensure that your every wish is catered for and it is this personal touch which is at the heart of the success of this riad.

If you are considering a trip to Marrakech then look no further - you have found your home from home in crazy Marrakech - whatever you think of the city this riad will certainly exceed your expectations and then some! Bon Voyage!

2  Thank MrsTokes01
Reviewed 3 November 2011

From the moment we arrived at the Riad all we could say is wow! You would never believe such a huge property is behind the door from the street. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed in. The owner Jill and Damien the manager were just wonderful, we had booked this for one night only as we could not get the flights we wanted, and, how we wished we were staying longer! We were in the Cheetah room which was stunning, with our own roof terrace and jacuzzi that we went in at 5.30am so not to miss out on the experience as we were leaving early. The location of the Riad is amazing, I would recommend this Riad to everyone, and I would suggest one night is not enough. We intend to return and very soon, it was just WOW!!!

Room Tip: cheetah suite has its own jacuzzi and roof terrace
1  Thank Lesley B
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I chose Marrakech as a birthday treat for my wife, but was keen on taking our young son a long also. It would be fair to say that Marrakech is not a comfortable place for young families, regardless of the love and affection Moroccans show towards children, which is why I gave so much importance in choosing the right place to stay. I hit a bulls eye with the Riad Noir d'Ivoire in every possible way. The inside of the Riad is simply spectacular, from the water fixture, the swimming pool, the generous sized rooms to furnishings that would not look out of place in a top interior magazine. We were treated to breakfast on our own private roof terrace at whatever time we wanted - what joy! The only challenge was trying to persuade my wife and son to get out of the jacuzzi.

To make all this work and turn a holiday into a truly memorable event you need to be surrounded by people who care and want you to have the best possible time without having to ask. I cannot praise Jill and her team enough, they were warm and friendly, gave us good advice and listened to what we had to say, for example we were given a mobile with relevant numbers just in case, guides would walk with us to restaurants that were hard to find or the ATM. Little touches that mean a lot

All in all a fantastic place to stay and I would recommend it without hesitation

Room Tip: the suite was called Gepard and came with an ensuite, a living room and a private roof terrace
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank SimonMadrid
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Having read the numerous wonderful reviews we had no doubt that Riad Noir would be a cut above..... but, trust me, the reviews are not overblown - this place is wonderful. Owner Jill and manager Damien are on a mission to make you feel you are special and the staff are simply lovely, including the local cook who produced the best meal of the week for us, amongst the many traditional feasts we sampled. To cap it all, Jill upgraded us to a luxurious suite that just happened to be vacant for the night. Consequently we spent our final night and the following day in what must be one of the most beautiful settings in Morroco - and, given that we were on an evening flight, Jill made it clear that we had the run of the Riad until the minute we were due to leave. One final note - pre-book a taxi.... otherwise you will never find this sumptuous gem amidst the winding alleyways!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the entrance side are totally tranquil.
1  Thank Peter H