“Treated like royalty!”

Ranked #12 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Basel, Switzerland
“Treated like royalty!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband surprised me with our reservation at Riad Noir d’Ivoire from 29 May – 2 June 2014, and it was a magical visit from beginning to end! Afaf, Hassan and the entire team treated us like royalty, and we were left wanting for nothing. A few times we were even alone at the Riad, which made us feel like it was our own private residence – really a home away from home! Everything written in other reviews is true and special, from the mobile phone that guests are given down to the sweet donkey Couscous who pulls the luggage cart. Our flight back home on our departure day was only in the evening, and we were not only allowed to check-out of our suite late, but we were also given another room to relax in (after a few glasses of wine on the house) before our transfer to the airport – a perfect way to end our stay! The only item that I felt was missing, as mentioned in a previous review, was a full-length mirror in our room; however, this is really a minor detail and certainly had no influence over how much we enjoyed our stay. Riad Noir d’Ivoire is a very special place in a special city, and it has earned a permanent place in our hearts. We hope to return again soon. Thank you again to Afaf, Hassan and the entire staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Riad Noir d'Ivoire for the first time last year and have just returned again. It is still glorious, a real haven and oasis of tranquility - not just from the bustle of magical Marrakech outside, but from life itself. The calm sound of the water feature, the incredible quiet of the riad given its location and the comforting sense of luxury and style that defines everything about a wonderful hotel.

Cutting to the chase - the staff are fantastic (friendly, smiley, engaging and happy to help but also happy to let you be), the breakfasts are a knock-out, the rooms are beautifully designed and furnished (I love the log fires - even though there was no need to use them) and the rooftops are a fantastic place to soak up some sunshine, while enjoying a dip in the hot-tub. Blissful. Beautiful bathrooms too - great location - really the list of positives is near endless...

Couldn't recommend it higher. If in any doubt, book it.

Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose one of the three rooms with a rooftop jacuzzi. Just blissful, peaceful and very relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Piers E
Walton on Thames
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Riad Noir d'ivoire is a wonderful place to stay when visiting Marrakesh. It is a short walk into the centre and other attractions. The staff were fantastic and always had a way of 'appearing' right when you needed them. It is a very peaceful and relaxing place, perfect for couples!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kellywwwalsh
Toronto
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed from April 28 thru May 2.

I'm not even sure where to start - this riad deserves the #1 spot on tripadvisor! We were met at the airport by a driver who took us to the closest spot in the medina that cars can go. From there we were met by the famous Couscous and his friend who took our luggage to the riad. It was about a five minute walk at most. We were greeted like old friends even though we had never been there before. We were checked in and given time to catch our breath and then Afaf gave us all the initial information we needed. We had pre-arranged to have dinner at the riad on the first night. Mama's cooking did not disappoint!! We had dinner on our private rooftop terrace and it was outstanding!!!! I really mean that - it was as good as any of the wonderful restaurants we visited.

The room itself was beautiful. We stayed in the Guepard Suite. I was a little leery of staying in a riad as we have become used to some pretty nice hotels with all the amenities. This riad did not disappoint. The towels are thick and soft and the robes are a nice length and excellent quality. They also provide leather slippers emblazoned with the riad logo. The toiletries were very nice and everything you would need is provided.

This suite has a separate living room, bedroom, and bathroom, as well as a private rooftop terrace with a dining area, 2 sun loungers and a hot tub. The living room area was almost all floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the inner courtyard. I have to admit that I was concerned about the bed when I saw it as I am not a good sleeper even in my own bed but we both slept through each of the five nights we stayed and even slept in until 8:00 which I haven't done in about 20 years. Seriously. I also usually fall asleep watching tv which was also not a problem as there were quite a few English channels.

We ate dinner at the riad twice. Both meals were excellent. We had breakfast there each morning and that was exceptional. The only thing I would say about breakfast is that there is too much food. You can request whatever you want but I found just ordering toast and coffee was good for me because it always came with fresh fruit and yogurt. Although there is no coffee maker in the room, which is usually a huge requirement for me, you just pick up the phone and coffee will be delivered to wherever you want it within 10 minutes.

The cell phones they give you were your life line while in Marrakech. Anything you wanted, just pick up the phone and it will be delivered. You can also use it if you get lost in the medina (and you probably will if it's your first time). They will send someone to come get you.

Two things make this riad stand out. First, the decor. It is absolutely beautiful. The rooms are decorated to a high standard with every detail seen to. The public areas were also beautiful. I really can't imagine a calmer, more comfortable place to be. When you first enter through that anonymous looking door, your eyes can't stop moving. There is so much to look at it almost overwhelming. Every object seems to have been purposefully selected for its beauty. The whole experience was visually stunning and an oasis of calm in a busy confusing city.

Secondly, the staff. Not once, not ONCE, did we come in contact with a staff member who did not smile warmly and say something in greeting. Everyone was so friendly. When we checked out, the whole staff came to say goodbye. Very nice touch. Really made us feel like we want to return. Soon. And Afaf and Hassan - I don't know how to express how friendly, and helpfully they were. They really understood what kind of information a guest needs to have a wonderful holiday. Their restaurant recommendations, which we rarely bother to get in other places, were excellent. My husband went for a run one day and ended up going twice as far as we thought he would. Afaf worried about him like a mother. They even came to my room to tell me that he decided to run further and would be back in about an hour in case I was worried.

All in all, not only would I return to Riad Noir d'Ivoire, I don't know a single person that I would not recommend it to. Thanks to Afaf and Hassan and the whole team for making this holiday an experience I will never forget!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Excaper
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Words can't describe The Riad Noir d'Ivoire as you really need to sample this wonderful Riad to experience the beauty of the Riad and the warmth and hospitality shown by all of the staff. On arrival we were told that we should regard this as our home and we were welcomed as family and this was certainly how we felt on our 6 night stay. The service was impeccable and the room was amazing as were all the facilities within including the wonderful food! True 5 stars which would be hard to beat anywhere in the world, being in the hustle and bustle of the Medina in Marrakesh you had all of the amazing highlights outside the door of the Riad yet when in the luxury of the Riad you could be a million miles away from the busy life within the Medina. As this was our honeymoon everyone and everything made it a truly amazing stay, we will definitely be returning again in the future.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JD_london_uk
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

There's not much I can add that the other reviewers haven't already said. The riad is beautiful and extremely luxurious but he service is really what sets it apart. Everyone who works there is extremely helpful and friendly. Every time you need something the staff seems to anticipate it. The food at dinner was excellent and honestly better than most restaurants in the area. There's two cats which is nice if you miss your pet at home. I stayed in one of the two smallest rooms and loved it. I honestly enjoyed lounging around the riad more than doing it in my room so it worked out well. The only negative was wifi didn't work in my room but that wasn't that big of a deal, it just meant sitting outside on a couch. I can't really imagine staying in the medina again and not staying here.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank 192benjaminc
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Noir d'ivoir is simply a fantastic hotel! one needs to add on on the list of 'things to see' this enchanting Riad. Beautiful, elegant, peaceful, tastefully decorated and with an absolutely first class service....ohh almost forgot the best location one can hope to have to explore Marrakesh!. The breakfasts are to die for. I cannot recommend more warmly the Haman experience and the amazing masseuse. We were a group a 6 ladies celebrating an important birthday..the staff went out of their way to make our staying extra special.. attentive, warm and thoughtful! They organized a very interesting cultural walk for us and helped me enormously when I had to rearrange my tickets....I simply cannot recommend this fabulous Riad more warmly..i hope to be able to go back soon!

Room Tip: chameaux room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends