“Arrived as guests and left as friends....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Riad Noir d'Ivoire

and 1 more site!
Riad Noir d'Ivoire
Ranked #10 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Surrey
“Arrived as guests and left as friends....”
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I use trip advisor a lot when booking trips away - it has become my personal travel agent if you like! When I looked up Riad Noir D'Ivoire I couldn't believe how many positive reviews there were - I felt sure that all those people could not be wrong so set about booking 3 nights for my friend and I. After a few emails between Jill and I ,our stay was booked and she even offered to have us picked up from our first destination which was Essaouira - 3 hours away from Marrakesh!!!

I am not going to repeat what has already been written on here other than to say that I can't think of a more perfect place to stay when in Marrakesh. It really is an oasis of calm in a city of chaos and from the moment you arrive you are made to feel relaxed, taken care of and at home.

Nothing is too much trouble and Jill & Damien go to great efforts to ensure that you get the best out of your stay in the city - from booking restaurants, arranging trips out or a driver for the day, to giving you a mobile phone so you can call the Riad if you get lost or have any problems (what a lovely touch!)

We were accompanied by a member of staff during the evenings from the riad to the area where the transport can get to so we didn't have to walk down dark alleys at night on our own, and when we returned there was always a member of staff waiting for us to escort us home again! What a service! We really appreciated this and it meant that we could relax and enjoy ourselves in the evening without being concerned about what time we were coming home and walking home in the dark!

We had a hammam while we were there which was excellent, as well as some henna tattoos - literally as soon as you mention being interested in a particular activity they were there on hand to make it happen.

We only ate in the Riad for one evening as there were so many other restaurants that we wanted to experience but I have to say that the lamb tagine I had there was out of this world! As indeed was breakfast which you can have at anytime of the day and changes daily with whatever fresh local produce the chef has bought.

The attention to detail in this Riad is second to none and many other hotels around the world would do well to stay here see how it should be done!

The only down side was that our trip was too short! There is so much to do in and around Marrakesh that 3 nights is just not long enough.... the upside is that we have a bonefide excuse to go back!!! And I can't wait!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank MrsTokes01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 5 September 2010

I have arrived in marakesh for 4 days. Has specially decided to stop in Medina, in the center medini and there was this hotel. At first it seemed to me that the arrangement isn't so convenient, but it only during the first moment. When from noise of streets and huge number of dealers it wanted to have a rest - I came into hotel, in the number and it there was an oasis. Very beautiful from within. Decorative and second pool for bathing. Pleasant free breakfasts with tasty toasts, jams and fruit AS I love. To understand in medina to me has helped staff and I never absolutely have lost the way, when went on Medina and in the evenings came back in hotel.
In the heart I was subdued by their massage and to boors. Morocco 70 country in the list of my travel and to surprise difficult, but extra a class massage by stones was super to boors, and next day. It really becomes professionals. And comfort and cosiness atmosphere was everywhere and everywhere. I am grateful to this hotel that I lived in it and pleasure marocco. Sincerely to you I recommend to visit it when you will arrive in marocco

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank alexzhdanov
UK
Reviewed 27 August 2010

The Riad is beautiful and a very quiet and relaxing oasis in the medina. The owner Jill is very friendly and helpful with advice on where to go and what to do.

The only negative we experienced was that the alley outside the Riad was being dug up to install some pipework which meant navigating it was very difficult (this was in feb 2010). On top of that the weather wasn't great which meant it turned the path into a quagmire. However this was hardly the fault of the Riad and would have been a temporary situation - just bad timing on our part. The alleyway outside is a bit daunting at first, especially at night, but was actually very safe.

The medina is busy, noisy, smelly and a fantastic experience - maybe not for everyone but I loved it. We got lost a couple of times and you do get hassled which you need to be prepared for.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2010

from the minute we stepped into the riad we were made to feel welcome and at home. The owner Jill arranged for one of her staff to prepare breakfast for my husband and myself which was very much needed. Jill has certainly got an eye for detail and the design of the riad is cozy and relaxing but at the same time has a very spacious feel about it. in fact all rooms were occupied but it felt like we were the only guests staying there. We had the most wonderful massages and tried out other treatments that were available there. Jill, Damien and her staff always took our safety into account when ever we went out either daytime or evening and always sent one of her staff to meet us and walk us back to the riad, but I must say that not once did we feel unsafe, as the locals were all so lovely. we were even given a local mobile phone so we could call if we happen to get lost!. Jill and Damien were great host and nothing was too much trouble, from advice on where to shop and recommending restaurant for dinner. We are really looking forward to going back, and will only be staying at one place!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Spent a short week in Marrakech in July. We stayed at this lovely boutique hotel and had a wonderful time. Staff are excellent - friendly, helpful and all - , setting is gorgeous, rooms are comfortable and spotless clean...
Will definitely stay here again when we come back to Marrakech!
An other great find whilst in Marrakech was Restaurant Riad Monceau where we had 2 fantastic Moroccan meals.
Both highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 July 2010

To sleep in this hotel is like sleeping in your own fairytale. Everything is so beautiful en the people are so friendly. A stay in this hotel makes you forget all other things in de world for a few days.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank mirjam79
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 July 2010

To fully experience Marrakech, you must stay in the medina -- Marrakech's old quarter. The medina is noisy, crowded, hectic, with stall after stall of merchants who constantly approach you to bargain a sale. Because the streets are crooked and narrow, it is crowded and noisy, especially with motor bikes constantly driving through. Riad Noir D'Ivoire is like an oasis amidst this chaos. Enter through its door and you enter a world of calm. I shared a room with my husband; our son had his own room. When we checked in, we were treated to wine by the pool (I believe this is one of the few riads with a pool). Our rooms were clean and comfortably air conditioned, although our room had a window that children played under into the late evening hours. Also, the lighting in the bathroom could be brighter. That said, this riad is beautifully decorated by Jill, its director, and expertly managed by Damien -- they or their staff could not do enough for us, from arranging our hot air balloon ride to taking our son to a bank. The food was delicious. Fresh fruit and juice available each day. Great wines. I've heard it is considered the best riad in Marrakech, and I can see why.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family