“A real dining experience”
Review of Le Tanjia

Le Tanjia
Ranked #216 of 903 Restaurants in Marrakech
Price range: US$14 - US$47
Cuisines: Moroccan, Pizza
Good for: View, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional Moroccan restaurant set over 3 floors with a courtyard. Wonderful vies straight on to the Koutoubia mosque offering romantic ambiance especially at sunset. Suitable for individuals, groups and families with children as the menu also provides stone oven baked pizza and pasta. Every evening belly dancers entertain the guests around 21.30 For a short show
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were trying to keep costs down for our Marrakech holiday, but splashed out a couple of times - I'm very glad one of them was at Le Tanjia! When we walked in through the doorway we were greeted by the sound of music coming from the trio sitting in the restaurant's courtyard, and thankfully got a table by the balcony so we could continue to watch them playing. The food prices were definitely higher than we'd been paying elsewhere, but I was still able to enjoy a glass of wine for around 5 GBP, and we ordered the beef tanjia to share which came to about 13 GBP each. The tanjia was the most delicious meal I had during our trip - the meat had been cooked to fall-off-the-bone melt-in-your-mouth perfection, beautifully seasoned and flavoured with preserved lemons for a bit of zing, and came with a selection of vegetable sides to balance things out. At around half 10, there was an extra bit of fun as a troupe of talented belly dancers descended on the diners (and I found myself being dragged up to balance a tray of lit candles on my head...)
The only gripe that stops this from being a 5-star review was the speed of service at Le Tanjia - looking through other reviews, we weren't alone in finding things a bit lackadaisical! We were really enjoying the atmosphere, so we didn't mind how long it took the food to arrive, but we were disappointed by how long it took to attract the waiters' attention to get the bill.
But I thoroughly enjoyed our evening, and don't want to end on a negative note! Possibly to be avoided if you're in a hurry, but for an evening of relaxed holiday dining this is certainly one to beat.

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

The building is lovely, it has been fantastically styled. And the views are amazing. But the food was very mediocre, and the prices pretty exorbitant. It didn't cost much less than really excellent restaurants, such as Riad Kniza or the Foundouk. Big shame, because it looks so good.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Simple menue - but good value and tasty.
Belly dancing was a bit of fun, but not necessary really.
Sat in the wrong place as was sprayed with water, understand concept of misting spray to keep us cool, but beware if you are on an 'edge of terrace' table, which you want for the view, you will get wet - I had water dripping down my back and the side of my face. The waiter did kindly turn it off without my asking though as I think he could see it was causing a problem. Recommend the lamb tagine with prunes and almonds - yum

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The service as others have noted is terrible. We waited for 1/2 hr before I tracked down a waiter to order beer for our table of 5. The beer came served warm. When we asked if happy hour was still on the waiter replied yes and then came back 5 min later to say it was no longer available although it was still within the advertised hours. He then advised us there was no cold beer left so we asked for the bill and left. The decor was well done, and the belly dancing and the music accompanying it was good as well. The dancing seems to last for about 15 min and starts at 9:30.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Surprised to read some recent reviews about poor service. During our short stay in Marrakech at beginning of May we visited Le Tanjia twice. Once for an evening meal and then for a drink at lunchtime. Both times the service was spot on - even at lunchtime when we were relaxing with a bottle of wine and a couple of books. The waiter kept a discreet eye on when our glasses needed refilling.

The evening meal was a lovely occasion. The building is based on a riad design and is very beautiful inside, especially when lit up at night. The food was some of the best we had in Marrakech and service again was just right.

1  Thank TonyM1000