“Our Marrakech home-away-from-home.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riad Amirat Al Jamal
Ranked #337 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Mill Valley, California
“Our Marrakech home-away-from-home.”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We used Morocco Custom Travel, co-owned by Peggy Engh and Rachid Izemreten, to plan our trip to Morocco, and also stayed in Peggy's riad, where we were treated as honored guests. The riad, including our rooms, is decorated with colorful Moroccan flair, vibrant patterns, and Berber style handcrafts and furnishings, in relaxing spaces. We especially enjoyed nighttime dips in the courtyard pool, and beautifully designed breakfast tables, different each morning. Peggy and Rachid, along with staff members, Hamidou and Said, helped us in every way possible - bringing us to special shops, making our dinner reservations, leading us through the nighttime medina, providing personal services like laundry and shoe repair, bringing us cooling drinks after hot days of touring, and preparing an evening of food, music and dancing. Using M.C.T. gave us enormous personal attention throughout Morocco that made our trip a dream come true.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 5heartfamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Honolulu
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stayed at this riad after a very exhausting package tour of Morocco. Peggy and her wonderful staff provided just the amount of calm and caring that I needed. Peggy is very knowledgeable of Moroccan traditions, while understanding the American mindset, which was very helpful. I was so happy to see all the luxuries we grow accustom to – Kleenex, alarm clocks, working air conditioning and washcloths – that are lacking in most of Morocco.

As a single woman I was somewhat apprehensive of staying at a riad by myself, but the staff went out of their way to make me welcome and secure.

Top notch location and VERY clean.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Wanda J
NY
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I have traveled to all over the US, to tropical islands, Central America, Europe and stayed in 5-star resorts. Without a doubt, this riad, run by an American named Peggy with support from wonderful Moroccans, was the best "home-away-from-home" experience that I've ever had. The room was beautiful and incredibly clean. The riad held true to Moroccan decor and had a terrific location, in addition to a beautiful sitting room and lovely terraces. The breakfast was the best I've ever had and I looked forward to it everyday. I was able to eat lunch and dinner there, as well, and those meals were equally delicious and served in a lovely terraced location next to a pool. Peggy arranged airport transport, tours and guides for me, even before I arrived. The service provided by the staff truly made me feel like a princess. I can't begin to praise my experience here enough.

Room Tip: I stayed in the duplex, which was lovely and had a private terrace, but I'm sure all rooms are w...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kricket B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This Riad was excellent. I would recommned this to anyone. The location is excellent. it was only two/three minutes walk from the bustle of the main square and the Souks, , but once inside it was an Oasis of calm. Especialy the rooftop garden and patio.
The owner Peggy was excellent. She is extremely knowledgeable about the history of Marrakech and was able to advise us on where to visit within the Souks. She has real design flair and the rooms are all furnished beautifully with traditional furniture and artifacts.
The service from both Hamidou and Said was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. We had an excellent traditional Morrocan meal on the first night cooked by Hamidou.
Said accompanied us on our day trip to the Atlas Mountains to make sure we made the best of the day and so that he could translate for us. it was typical of their attention to detail.
We had a really excellent short break and would really hope to return again.

Room Tip: we stayed in Chambre Margeret. it was a lovely spacious room with traditional ceiling, ensuite and t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter M
Croydon UK
Reviewed 12 February 2012

A superb atmospheric location in the heart of the medina. Close to the square and souks. Ask for breakfast on the roof patio - its a great way to start the day - overlooking the rooftops and the mountains

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Stayed with the family(6)for two nights over Christmas. Outstanding service, from owner Peggy to all the staff. I had all my questions(and I had many trust me) answered prior to arrival by Peggy. Once there, we even received a call from the States to make sure we were ok- nice touch that makes the trip so much more worthwhile! Hamidou and Said were just phenomenal- better service than most 5 star hotels. Best location too(close to the square so no tiring walk back at night), especially for someone who wanted to make the morning prayer in the Koutobia masjid, personally escorted by Hamidou to top it off. No surprises. Everything as advertised, and then some. Definitely worth a stay again. Above endorsed by some of the harshest critics- my 4 teenagers!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Mykidsurg
New Jersey
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed in this Riad for the first time in 2008 and found it was an absolutely beautiful and enchanting retreat in the middle of the Marrakech Medina. We visited Morocco for the second time a few weeks ago and returned to the Riad. Peggy, the owner was not there this time, but her staff, Hamidou, who manages the place when Peggy is not there, and Said, were marvelous. Here you feel you are in a palatial home, rather than in a hotel. The Riad is full of gorgeous Moroccan art, and the rooms are decorated to perfection. Our room, "The Grand Chamber" is decorated with traditional Moroccan furniture, a fireplace, and gorgeous Berber ceramics. The bathroom has all the amenities to make life easy. Peggy has made some great changes since we were there. Now there is WiFi throughout the Riad, she has upgraded the lighting, etc. In addition, Hamidou is an outstanding cook. Having a dinner cooked by him is heavenly!!

Room Tip: The Grand Chamber is the best room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple