“Living the Marrakech Dream”

Palais Riad Calipau Marrakech
Ranked #358 of 1,153 Marrakech B&B and Inns
bucks
“Living the Marrakech Dream”
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Arrived back a day ago from a magical weekend in Marrakech. I was a bit skeptical at first as the taxi stopped in a dusty busy side street and told us that we had arrived at our destination. As we were treating our friends for their 10th wedding anniversary I was slightly worried! He carried out luggage down a few side streets and stopped at a big wooden door, as soon as the door opened with a friendly face behind and we stepped in I relaxed immediately. I felt like we had stepped into Dr Who's tardis, we sat for awhile with drinks and moroccan pastries surrounded by sofas and large pillows. Our rooms were delightful and the service was a great although a bit on the slow side which didnt bother us. We spent our days going around markets and an indoor souk where we had a great time haggling, and came away with some lovely things . Our first restaurant we went to was Le Comptoir which can tend to be a bit pricey if youre not careful but is well worth visiting! You get great value for money with the food and it is delicious. You can relax outside on the large sofas whilst sipping cocktails then if youre lucky get taken up to the terrace to eat or eat in under the tents (which was still great) make sure you reserve a table. Second night (Sat) we went to the bar/restaurant right next door, again you can enjoy drinks on the terrace and even get blankets for the ladies if feeling cold. The food was good but the service wasnt amazing and the band was left to be desired, when they went off however the DJ was great! Sunday we decided to hire a 4x4 via the hotel to take us to the waterfalls. If you dont mind climbing then you will love this experience, just make sure you wear sensible shoes! On the steep climb up with a local guy who you pay 120dh you get to mix with the locals and try out their cooking or browse around their shops......yes more shopping! Im so glad we did this not sure if I would do it with kids though as some of the bridges we had to cross reminded me of being in an Indiana Jones movie. Finally on the last night we finally managed to find a restaurant I had been searching for called the Terrasse des épices,15 Souk Cherifa, Sidi Abdelaziz
We found a young boy who knew where it was and guided us through a maze of backstreets where both our husbands were moaning that it was going to be rubbish. They soon ate their words as we climbed the stairs onto again an amazing terrace, lit with lanterns and overlooked the square. Food was lovely although no alcohol served we still had a magical last meal in the fantastic Marrakech. Make sure you stay in a Riad within the walls as you will be in the heart of everthing, well worth a trip with an open mind. Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank siestaroyale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 6 May 2010

A very nice and fresh courtyard with a nice little pool and a tidy environment was an encouraging beginning, however the so called suite was actually a regular room with no desk or chairs or even a telephone. the king size bed that was promised was actually twin beds joined together with obvious consequences. The back windows of the room were on a street where very joyful noisy kids (good for them) played soccer and shouted all afternoon. The little pool turned out to be freezing cold and unusable. The terrace on the other hand was steaming hot in the afternoons with no showers or fresh water available. The personell was very kind and helpful but unprofessional and untrained. Absolutely overpriced in spite of a 25% off special offer.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank billabongMilano
London
Reviewed 26 August 2008

My familly and I visited in August during the hottest period. On arrival you will have to walk with your luggage for a 100m. Don't be alarmed! When you walk through the door of the Riad, you will step into an oasis of oppulence...what a contrast. Hold your nerve. August was low season and thewre was nobody else in the Riad. My wife and two young children had the run of the entire Riad including the swimming pool. It was expensive for Marrakech, but was excellent value. I felt the French Manager was always trying to push services on us, but hey his job is to sell. If you can try to arrange visits through him he will be cheaper than your agent if you negotiate. You must visit the Atlas Mountains and Ourika valley on your trip to Marrakech, it makes a good change from the heat & hustle bustle of the city and is stunning. Cost me 2000 dirhams to hire a driver and 4 x4 for the day..best day of the trip, had an excellent driver / guide. Essaouira was a bit of a waste of time because it is like any other beach in the world, and I felt Essaouira had no character unlike the Marrakech...good way to see the country en route, however.
7 days in Marrakech is probably too much, but if you use Marrakech as a base to see other parts of Morroco thats fine.You should be able to speak school room standard french.... phrase book a must! 20 dirhams for a small taxi and 30 odd for a larger one. Don't just go to Jemall Fena you can also go to the modern plaza if you want a change and go up market. I feel a place is generally defined by the people and the Morrocan characteristics and nature is laid back and friendly, and for this reason Morroco has an affectionate place in my heart...watch out for the souks though, I loved to negotiate personally and the Morroccons actually had enough of me...it can feel aggressive although it isn't really. Enjoy yourself and don't get to stessed out by the negotiating it usually takes care of itself!

• Liked — Luxurious
  • Disliked — No view to the outside, but I guess there wasn't going to be becuse of its location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Moses786
United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I always rely on the Trip Advisor for guidance before booking any hotel, so it was with some trepidation that I committed to the Palais Calipau with only 1 review, which was in French. Whilst the French review was positive it remained ONE entry. I need not have worried. I'm at that stage where I need to balance my secret place with wanting to support the good people that work & run this wonderful riad. We were a group of middle aged ladies celebrating a significant birthday, but we could have been anybody. The venue was divine and the staff could not be more keen to make your trip special. There are two English language speakers, but French is primarily spoken, but it is SO worth polishing up your French and making the effort. A little way out from the Jemma el Fna square, but the journey on foot is about 15-20 mins. We used taxis' alot which were about £1.00 each way! (night fares slightly higher) The Kasbah area of the Medina just seemed so much less frenetic and a virtual sanctuary after the hub-bub of the main square. That is not to say that it is without its 3rd world charms, but is simply more relaxed. Once the door opens to the riad you are catapulted into a world apart from the streets. Absolutely stunning venue; not cheap, but well worth the sums charged by European standards.

Stayed March 2008