“A hidden oasis in a crazy city”
Review of Riad Dar Tayib

Riad Dar Tayib
Ranked #317 of 1,195 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Riad Tar Tayib made my day. The first 30 min in Marakesh started with a rip off taxi ride through a maze of streets that seemed unpenetratable at first glimpse. Without any sense of direction we needed a guide to show us the way from the taxi stop to the Riad.
The Riad is a dream, the rooms have an amazing architecture and you feel welcome and home from the moment you enter. An amazing dinner with wine from Marrocco and a chat with the owner Vincent made our day. This is a really exclusive place that has a lot to offer for the price. The service was excellent, we even got several rides to the station, bus station etc. with Vincents old 4WD.
I will go back there!

1  Thank Donnerkiesel

Reviewed 25 April 2011

We initially booked to stay for two nights at Dar Tayib, not being sure of our plans for the week, and ended up staying for four lovely nights.

Arriving off the train, we got a taxi to a square in the Medina, as advised by Vincent, and called them to be accompanied on the remaining short walk to the Riad. It is rather tucked away in a back alley, in only the way a Riad in the Marrakech medina could be. But as other reviewers have said, it is a beautiful oasis of calm away from the craziness in the rest of the old town.

Our double room was clean and very comfortable with a good shower. But the best bits of the building were the lovely courtyard complete with fountain and rose petals, and the roof terrace with plenty of good spots for lounging around on.

Breakfasts were good and the two evening meals we chose to eat in the riad were fantastic. I think we were lucky on both those nights to have the place to ourselves, so the candle lit courtyard was particularly romantic, whilst the three course home cooked food was absolutely terrific - the best tangines we had whilst in Morocco.

The owners Vincent and his wife were friendly and helpful - the other staff, despite coping with our minimal French could not have been nicer.

Reviewed 23 April 2011

the riad is very nice, comfortable and with a good rate price and quality. the hospitality is excellent, the breakfast on the terrace is perfect and if you want some relax after after the crowd of Medina, this is the right place. there are no doubt were to stay for another stay in Marrakech. Enjoy it....

Reviewed 9 March 2011

Admittedly there is not a chance you could find this Riad on your own if you'd not visited before hence I would recommend taking Vincent up on the offer of a guide when arriving.

However once you find Riad Dar Tayib I don't see any reason why you'd want to stay anywhere else. Vincent welcomed us with mint tea and showed us to our room. That evening he furnished us with a map and guided us to Le Foundouk (a very nice restaurant) around the corner. The following day Latifa guided us to the Jemaa el Fna pointing out the noteable turns to get back. From then on finding our way around and back to the Riad was easy. Although if local kids tell you "down there is closed" when walking along, ignore them and stick to your guns that is if you do know the way.

The room was clean and well furnished, although as with many a Riad in Morocco there is a distinct lack of screening between bedroom and bathroom. The communal areas and room terrance were lovely. Breakfast was simple but good and we had dinner one night, at 19Euro per head it could be thought a little pricey for Marrakech but if you were served the same quality of fresh homecooked food anywhere else in the world for that price then you'd think it a bargin.

With budget flights from the UK as they are and the excellent climate in Morocco I fully expect to visit again for some more winter sun and now I know where Riad Dar Tayib is I will definately be booking there.

John and Rachel

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I want to thank you for the hospitality and the beautiful Pacific where I felt I was in my house and was treated with very impressive and I wanted to go back to Marrakesh, I think I'll go back certainly will not hesitate in booking you again .... Thank you very much

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2011

The staff at Dar Tayib took really good care of us.

Our room was on the roof, it was a twin and a good size though not large. The toilet is behind a wall but not in a separate room, so if your sharing you had better know your room mate very well!

There is a Mosque just next door which loudly calls for prayers at five in the morning, but that wasn't a big deal.

The Riad is just five minutes walk from the souks, and we soon got used to finding our way around.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I really liked this little place. Nothing about it is slick--the locks to the doors don't work quite right, there's big cracks in the concrete around the trees in the courtyard, the steps on the stairs are of amusingly different heights--but it's all good and honest and sweet.

I think the owners were away over the three nights we stayed, but we were looked after very well by their staff, who were ever happy to help. (Unfortunately they didn't speak English (I'm sure their French was excellent) but we were able to make do.) The riad also comes with an affectionate little dog who becomes even more affectionate if food is produced.

The hotel is somewhat difficult to find. Probably not any more so than any other riad in the Medina, but it might be worth trying to get someone to guide you there the first time, particularly if you're not familiar with Medina-like mazes.

One important thing to note: you have to pay by cash! I don't know if this is usual and they don't go out of their way to make it obvious, but it certainly took us by surprise, and required a little morning run to the nearest ATM to gather up the necessary cash.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple