Hotel Mont Gueliz
US$460
US$449
US$724
Cancelon
All reviewshalf hour walkbusy roadthe hotel staffhotel is locatedmoroccoculture
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The night shift front desk staff cut off the light and A/C while I was using the sole Wi-Fi connection in the lobby.

I had a project due that morning so I was working from probably 11 pm until 5 am.
I left the lobby to stretch my legs and to get a look at the nighttime activities outside the hotel. When I came back in, the lobby was in semi-darkness and the A/C turned off. When I asked, in my best-summoned French, to have both turned on again, I was told it was hotel policy to turn them both off at that time of morning (about 2 am).
So, for the next three hours or so, I worked by the only light on, over the lobby desk, and in hot, stagnant air, I’d guess about 80 Degrees Fahrenheit.

SMH. Poor guest service.

Room Tip: I guess due to energy conservation, lights are often OFF in the corridors so don't be surprised if after the elevator gets to your floor, the place is in total darkness and you have to search for a light switch all the while keeping the elevator door open as a light source and keeping it open so as not to have it leave with your luggage. Not an easy feat the first-time around!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ToTravelYESToFlyAAH
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

Overall a nice little hotel. The hotel staff werent amazingly friendly but a bonjour here and there was returned with a smile. One of the young ladies on reception spoke good english and was very helpful. The others I think perhaps didnt speak much english so were scared to talk too much. The room was cleaned everyday and was comfortable. Aircon and safe in each room (extra money for safe). There was building work nxt door but most of marrakech is under construction so didnt bother us. The swimming pool was small but we had it to ourselves so enjoyed it. We also had a room at the front but there was a double patio door so didnt find it noisy. Finally location....Its right near a supermarket and a half hour walk right into gueliz or to the train station. We also tended to walk to the souks and square in the evening as its just a straight road however this took up to an hour dependant on the heat and our sore legs. Its probably advisable to get one of the petit taxis if you arent a good walker. Alcohol isnt served in the hotel but available in the supermarket. We didnt try the restaurant but the tea and coffee was nice! Oh and we were charged a tax of 11 dirhams per person per night upon arrival which we werent prepared for but this amounted to about 6 pound for the week so we did pay (cant help thinking it wasnt a tax but a tip but we just didnt give them a tip when we left)

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Very basic hotel for £11 a night you can't go wrong.
room was big also clean.
The receptionist (male) was a bit rude and didn't really want to help.
The small pool was wicked.
Not close to the medina took us 40mins to walk by taxi you'll get ripped off.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mo a
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Me and my husband went for a 5 night holiday and booked this hotel reading the reviews before going we didn't know what to expect. But when we got there we were given a choice of rooms we obviously chose the back room and was quite spacious and very clean. We only had one problem with the bathroom there was a leak but that got sorted out quickly for us. Cause we had the back room it wasn't noisy. If you like busy areas and seeing all most of the city I think new town of marrakech is a nice place to stay cause my family went same time as us to Marrakech and were staying in the old town and did not feel safe to go out late whereas in the Gueliz area it is easy to get out and about late night without anyone harassing you. There's plenty of restaurants near by, Bombay restaurant that's 5 mins away is definitely worth trying. Breakfast time is good they have a variety of food catering for all. To restaurants and take away are walking distant, but if you need to get to Jema El Fna, all other site seeing areas you'll need a taxi roughly costing us £4-5 for a 15 minute ride. At first taxis put their prices sky high you need to haggle with them also it is best to get a small taxi rather then the bigger ones. Overall me and my husband had a lovely stay at this hotel and would stay again, the rooms were cleaned everyday also were given fresh towels. I would recommend anyone who is planning on staying at this hotel to bring their own travel iron cause the one they provide is pretty useless just leaks.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Sara_Hasan88
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The hotel is clean and has a nice surface but I spent 4 nights here in march and in the end it led up to so much frustration I wish I had not booked my stay here. First of all you can find a lot cheaper ryads closer to jemaa el fnaa, which will give you more of an authentic morroccan atmosphere. This is far from the historical sights. Secondly, yes they charge you extra for tax (which I knew of before the stay and did not come as a surprise). What did come as a surprise though was that when I checked in I asked about the breakfast since my booking did not include that according to my documents, but the girl in the reception convinved me it was included and that I only had to say my room number at the buffet. When I checked out they had added up all those breakfasts (which is nothing special, white bread, marmelade, tea and coffee) for me to pay with the tax. Most of the staff speak broken English or none at all (not even french) and of course this could have been the reason for the misunderstanding, but I wonder if it's not a business trick, cause the girl seemed pretty convinced when she told me about the breakfast. Also don't expect to be able to cancel any nights once you've checked in. So overall a big NO.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo