“Perfect Oasis”
Review of Riad Mur Akush

Riad Mur Akush
Ranked #34 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Preface: We like staying at different places and experiencing different accommodations, so don’t let the fact that we stay only one night in some awesome Riads cloud the review.

Safety: Coming from an Emergency Medical Services backgound, it is my impression that most Riads (by definiton) are fire traps. There is usually only one staircase and one way in/out, so keep this in mind when you bed down for the night! Consider and explore rooftop escape and teach your kids about it. Arrange for a meeting place such as a closeby Mosque...easy to find due to the tower.

Speaking of Mosques: I have no tolerance for complaints that seem to surface in too many Riad-reviews about „getting woken up by the call to prayer; it was very loud; we couldn’t sleep...“ You’re a guest in an Islamic country – if you don’t like that, why did you go there??

Riad Mur Akush

Made reservations via eMail – prompt communication and answers to questions. Transportation is available and pre-arrangeable from the train station as well as the airport. Unless you’ve been to Marrakech before and know how to bargain with the taxi drivers, I recommend you take Mur Akush up on the offer. Perhaps slightly more expensive but way less hassle. And while taxis have a limit of three passengers (requiring two taxis – they don’t make exceptions), their transport can haul a family of four.

Mohamed and Rashid welcomed us like into their own home. 2 adults + 2 sub-teens; stayed in the Grand Suite Amel which was perfect for that purpose. Room looks just like the pictures, is nice and large, and separable from the „kid-sleep-area“ by doors. Opening a window toward the courtyard ensured a cool breeze through the night. Room charge was slightly reduced since we traveled with 2 kids and not adults as far as the extra people are concerned; thank you for that!

Walked to the Souks and the square; finding the way back is easy due to the Doukkala-Mosque being next door with its recognizable tower.

Accepted the offer of dinner; an excellent Tagine by Zola who was very sweet and genuine, and didn’t mind us watching and asking questions throughout the process. Wine was made available on request; they actually went out and got a bottle for us! (Moroccan red is highly recommendable).

Breakfast on rooftop. Great place to hang out for sunset and sunrise. Food was good and plentiful; whatever we ran out of (tea, coffee, hot chocolate, OJ) was quickly and easily replenished.

Along with the other reviewers, I have nothing but good to say about this place and its people. It’s a bit more expensive that average, but not more so than you’d expect from an upper-class hotel and it certainly offers ten times the experience and probably ten times the peace!

Room Tip: The floor right below the terasse has the most privacy and open outdoor space/light.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you for your very genuine and detailed review. The information you have shared will be very useful to our guests and it is so nice to see that you had a good stay with us.We hope to see you again in the future. Maria and the team!

Reviewed 19 May 2013

With so many riads to choose from, I had a difficult time making a choice. However, I chose this riad for several reasons:

1. Attentive staff and very quick to reply to e-mails
2. Location
3. Atmosphere
4. Price

In all honesty, I am so happy I booked here. I really like this part of town near the mosque. It was quiet at night and had a family-feel to it. We saw some other riads, but this riad was so charming and quaint. I would recommend anyone to stay here and I would definitely stay again. (Maison Arabe is close by but it seemed way too commercial)

Tips:

-Go to the hamam on the side street close to the riad. Massages and service are great!
-Henna Cafe is great as well and it's for a good cause. You must eat here and it's close to the riad.

Room Tip: All were beautiful.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Hello! Thank you for your lovely review, I am so happy that you had a good stay with us and found the location and atmosphere as well and our staff to be excellent. We would love to have you over again! Maria

Reviewed 13 May 2013

With only 1 'Terrible' posting for this Riad I booked with a good level of confidence. No disappointment at all! Maria could not have been more helpful with fast response Emails giving up to date information about the Riad & Marrakech. We had the Hammam suite which was lovely. Dont expect perfect paintwork or tiling as this place has a 'REAL' feel to it. Lighting might have been a little brighter but all in all I felt like I was staying in a genuine Moroccan dwelling. Breakfasts were varied and very good. Pastries, pancakes, fresh squeezed orange juice, bread, jam, yogurts, honey.......need I go on? The place is spotless! Air con that works was a bonus as outside temperatures were 100F!! If only it had a pool?? Having said that, more than likely most true Riads probably dont have them? The bed was extremely comfortable too with good pillows. Now one thing that does annoy me is the reports about the Mosque noise. You HAVE to embrace the religion here and I find it offensive that people complain. Thing is the actual Adhan (calling for prayer) only lasts for a couple of minutes at most. Yes, it can wake you up but I found I went back off to sleep quickly. Location wise I found it very good. There are a few ways to get to the Souks and Jemaa El Fna and at most only a 20 to 25 minute walk away. My wife and I also had a Hammam Spa just in the alley way leading to the Riad. We both thought it was very good and we were both together throughout scrubbing and washing and massage. Mohammad who picked us up at the airport and works at the Riad was fantastic. He recommended another Hammam but it was booked up. Book as soon as possible on arrival. Maria also organised a guide for us and we didn't regret doing this. Go for a beer in the afternoon (everywhere expensive) or try the most expensive rose wine at Le Marakkchi on the square. The red wine from the same vineyard was good too. Book the corner table for a meal for 8pm. We kept the table up to 10pm with no pressure. The food was pretty good and the 3 chaps playing live music were fab. Then on with the belly dancers!! Word of advice - be careful not to get lost in the Souks and always barter for the best prices. Try your best not to look lost too as you will be pounced on and led away to shops by these clever makeshift guides with ulterior motives!! Your cash!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your extensive and lovely review! It is much appreciated. I am glad to hear that you had a good stay with us and we really enjoyed taking care of you. All the best for now and we hope to see you again in the future. Maria

Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed at Riad Mur Akush for 5 nights at the end of our Moroccan holiday. It was a perfect place to end our 3 week holiday. We had amazing service, a great room, good food, and a good location to sites. It was a 10-15mins walk to the main square and the souks. We found we could walk anywhere we wanted for the most part. We only used a cab once because we purchases a large vase and didn't want to carry it. The staff were very willing to accommodate us with any special requests. Whether it be food requests, a fire in our room, mailing postcards, or arranging transportation for us to Casablanca for our flight out. The breakfasts were the best we had in Morocco. They changed it up each morning for us as well. We stayed in room Meli. It was beautifully decorated, spacious and clean. This room is also on the second floor. Therefore you don't get the noise from the center of the riad, but maybe more of the call to prayer though. There are little shops just around the corner of the riad that you can purchase bottled water or snacks. Bring a book as the terrace is wonderful to relax in and unwind. We ate breakfast up there all the time as well. You will not be disappointed with this riad.

Room Tip: Room Meli was nicely located on the second level terrace. Very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda F

Thank you for taking the time to leave this wonderful review of our riad. It is much appreciated and very valuable to us. I am so pleased to hear that you had a good stay with us and I hope that you will return in the future. Take care, Maria

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I could not fault this Riad from the start of our trip to the end. Lovely, family run Riad and we felt welcome from the second we stepped through the doorway.

The Riad itself is stunning, all traditional rooms and even the toiletries that you are supplied with are amazing, they smell divine - if I had not only taken hand luggage for the weekend then I would have bought some to take home with me. On arrival, we were given mint tea and pastries and shown where to go on a map. We stayed in Suite Yassine which was lovely, even had an iPod dock supplied. Each morning, we had our breakfast served to us on the roof terrace (which was a long way to carry our food!) and we had drinks up there on one evening too.

Taxi transfers were arranged for us and also we were taken to a lovely Hammam not too far from the Riad. We were even allowed to keep our room all day when we should have checked out as there weren't any other guests staying, so kind.

I would recommend that you bring earplugs as the mosque calls are VERY loud in the old town - anywhere that you stay.

Again, thank you for a lovely trip, this Riad truly is an oasis in the middle of a very hectic City!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your nice words, it is so nice to hear that you had a good stay with us! We wish you all the best and hope to maybe see you again in the future. Take care, Maria

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Having decided upon visiting Marrakech for a long weekend, the next decision was where to stay. Looking at all the positive responses on trip advisor regarding the Riad Mur Akush, I booked accordingly. From the first e-mail exchange that I had with Maria at the Riad made me feel welcome and I hadn’t stepped one foot into the country! The Riad is a true hidden gem of peace and calm, but only ten minutes’ walk away from the hustle and bustle of the souks and main square. My daughter and I had booked a day trip to the Atlas Mountains but on the way back got caught in a traffic jam; next minute the driver’s phone was ringing and it was the Riad making sure that we were all alright. We were delighted with Marrakech and even more delighted in our choice of accommodation

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Our experience from the off set to travel to Marrakesh and stay in the Riad Mur Akush was exceptionally from start to finish. Mohammed picked us up from the airport and we arrived at the Riad 15 minutes later. We met Rasheed and the guys were great, they served us hot mint tea and some delicious pastry's. The Riad itself including our suite were outstanding. everywhere is exceptionally clean, all the staff are polite, and so helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them.
We had dinner there that night which was our first taste of moroccon cuisine and it was superb.
The location is brilliant literally 10 minutes walk to the Medina(main market/souk area).
My brother told Rasheed it was my birthday and Rasheed made some calls and picked up a beautiful birthday cake, it was presented to me and all the staff sang Happy Birthday...
The roof top terrace is a great place to sit in the morning and have your breakfast or in the evening watching the sun set. poor Rasheed would run up all the stairs with our mint tea and to check if we needed anything else:)
Marrakesh is a very lively loud interesting city, with lots to see and do.

We were treated like royalty, such a wonderful experience. thank you Maria and all the staff for making my birthday an unforgetable experience.