Riad Mur Akush
US$104
US$183
US$128
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgrand suite amelroof terracemint teaatlas mountainscall to prayerthe main squarebab doukkalaevery morningtaginefour poster bedtop floorhuge bathroomhome away from homelounge areaday tripbeautiful riadvisiting marrakech
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Marrakech for the first time in October and this Riad was our first stop. It was brilliant to be able to converse with Maria, the owner, on email weeks before our arrival and she was extremely helpful. She recommend dinner in the Riad on our first night as they have a chef that can do this. The tagine we were given was the best one we had in Morocco by far! It was absolutely delicious.

The rooms are a lovely size and beautifully decorated. This is a traditional Riad which I would highly recommend as you get the full effect of the Moroccan style of living. It is close enough to the main square so you can walk to all the souks/sites etc yet it is far enough away that you appreciate a quieter, calmer side of Marrakech. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They recommended great places to visit and eat during our stay including La Maison de Arabe (just next door) which was a wonderful place to have dinner.

The early morning mosque wake-up in the Riad was a bit of a shock on the first night but easy to get used to and it is all part of the experience. We even considered returning to Riad Mur Akush half way through our stay in the Atlas Mountains as we enjoyed it so much.
A lovely tranquil place with traditional interiors and the perfect location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MimiaTata, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Hello! Thank you for your lovely review. It was great having you at the riad and I am glad that you ad such a good time with us. Thank you once again and I hope to meet you on a follow on visit. Maria

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Visiting Marrakech and want to stay in the medina? I highly recommend staying in this haven of tranquillity. Maria answered a hundred and one questions from me via email before we even got to Morocco, which helped me a lot as I was planning our trip. The wonderful team couldn't have made us feel more welcome, greeting us with mint tea and fresh pastries and offering friendly advice and tea throughout our stay.
The whole riad was spotless, and full of interesting artefacts. Our bedroom was lovely- tastefully decorated and comfortable (the air conditioning really helped!), and the communal rooms and roof terrace a joy to wander around and relax in.
Allow yourself time for a leisurely (generous) breakfast on the terrace.
We ate dinner in the riad one night; the tagines were superb and the surroundings a delight- would definitely recommend this is you stay here.
The only thing to be aware of: the 4.30am call to prayer does take a little bit of getting used to! But it didn't much detract from our enjoyment of our stay- just something to be aware of.
It's in a great central location too- no more than 10 minutes walk from the main square. No matter how bustling and noisy it was outside, the riad really was a tranquil oasis in which to escape.
I highly recommend this little gem- and it would be my first choice if we return to the city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable review, it is much appreciated. I am so pleased that you had a good stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future. Take care, Maria

Reviewed 9 October 2013

When planning our stay in Marrakech we decided upon staying in a Riad within the Medina and chose the Riad Mur Akush from the ratings it had received on trip advisor. It was one of the best decisions of the trip and I have to fully agree with "Tom T" in describing it as a "beautiful oasis". The Medina is a busy and noisy place full of “interesting” smells and sounds and both my partner and I glanced apprehensively at each other when the taxi pulled up in a narrow busy street at the end of the journey from the airport (taxi organised by the Riad on booking). However, a short walk away from the road found us at the Riad and for all we knew, we were a million miles away from a bustling town centre. The service we received was first class and could not be faulted, to say the staff (and I hate using the word “staff” in connection with Mur Akush) were attentive and willing to please is an understatement, nothing was too difficult or problematic for them. The room surpassed our expectations, clean and comfortable and a pleasure to return to for a shower and sit down at the end of a hot exhausting day. We actually decided upon spending a bit of time in the Riad as part of the holiday experience as it was such a special place, whether it was on the rooftop terrace taking in the sun or sitting in the fantastic lounge area admiring the décor and enjoying its coolness whilst sipping a glass of the ubiquitous mint tea. The Riad looks to treat its guests as part of an extended family and in this it succeeds admirably, we felt comfortable just pottering around and making ourselves at home. We decided on having one of our main meals in the Riad and I would certainly recommend it as part of the Riad experience. The only reason I gave a 4. for sleep quality is that we had to get used to the 04:30am call to prayer every morning, however, anyone who chooses to stay in the Medina has to get used to this and speaking to other holiday makers from other Riads indicated that this was not something peculiar to Mur Akush – no different to some church bells I know, so please do not let this put you off, just accept it as part of the cultural experience. I would certainly recommend Riad Mur Akush to anyone travelling to Marrakech, if they could find better, I would be more than a little surprised.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, it is much appreciated!
I am so glad that you made yourself at home and enjoyed the atmosphere and the tranquility of our house and had a lovely stay with us, it really means a lot. Thank you, Maria

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Our friend's children suggested we book a Riad when we decided to spend a few days in Marrakech and we are glad they did. Located at the northern end if the Medina, Riad Mur Kesh is reasonably handy to the main square of Marrakech, the souks and many of the sights. We booked a transfer from the airport when we booked our flight from Seville with Ryanair and our host met us in the street. We would never have fond the place otherwise!
The Riad is three floors with two or three rooms per floor built around a central courtyard which acts as a suiting and breakfast room and is adjoined by a library/ lounge shared by the guests. Our room on the second floor had a large bed, coffee table and two comfortable chairs and an outdoor suite on the adjoining terrace which we shared with the other room in our floor.
The ensure bathroom had shower & toilet.
The Riad has been recently renovated in Moroccan style with lovely moulded and painted cornices, brass light fittings inlaid mirrors and wooden furniture.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. We arrived very early and were greeted with apologies that the room was not yet available, and mint tea and sweets as compensation!
Fortified, we were ready to take in Marrakech whilst our room was being prepared. As our friends arrived quite late that night the Riad provided a simple but delicious meal for the four of us that night.
I would have no hesitation in recommending Mur Kesh to any potential visitors to Marrakech!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review, it is much appreciated. I am so pleased that you had a good stay with us and you liked the house. We really enjoyed taking care of you all and we hope to see you again in a future visit. Take care, Maria

Reviewed 3 October 2013

What an incredible in place, Marrakech is a fantastic city but it is also rather intense. Not that you’d know it from inside the walls of Riad Mur Akush, it was an oasis of calm with a luxiourious feel.

I didn’t actually book this hotel, it was a birthday present from my boyfriend who booked directly with them. His experience throughout though was incredibly positive. He proposed when we got there and everyone in the hotel was more than happy to help him with the organisation.

From beginning to end of our trip we were made to feel completely welcome, nothing was too much trouble. All the staff cultivate a relaxed and friendly vibe and you get a real sense of Arabic hospitality.

As for the food, what can I say, it was incredible! The meal we had on our first night was stunningly delicious – as good as the posh one we had at La Sultana (another must if you’re in Marrakech and fancy a splurge). They catered brilliantly for my vegetarian needs and my boyfriend loved his meaty option too. The breakfasts every morning were fabulous and certainly filling, we generally only needed a snack for lunch. We’ve been trying to find pistachio yoghurt (alas in vain) since we returned home.

The only downside to Riad Mur Akush is the lack of a pool or plunge pool, we did however find a great solution to this problem. The Palais Donab on the Dar El Bacha is a five minute walk away and there is a lovely pool and restaurant. For 150dh you will get access to the pool, towels and a drink or if you are having lunch there then the price is only 120dh. It’s open from 10am to 6pm – perfect if the heat is soaring like it was on our second afternoon.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Foodie_veggie
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you for your lovely review. We really enjoyed taking care of you two at such a special time for you as a couple! We were all so excited about your news!! I am so glad that you had such a great stay with us and yes, I agree it would be great to have a pool at the riad, maybe in the future! Take care for now, Maria