“Beautiful Riad, Lovely Rooms, and Wonderful Service”
Review of Riad Mur Akush

Riad Mur Akush
Ranked #38 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We travelled to Marrakech with a group of 7 for my 31st birthday. The trip was outstanding and everyone in our group had a great time! Before we even arrived, the service we received from Riad Mur Akush was fabulous. They answered all of our questions about Marrakech, pre-booked dinner reservations, an airport transfer, and even organized every detail of a 3 day trek to the Sahara with a private car and hotel/camping/food arrangements while we were away from the Riad on the trek. They made travel planning very easy and enjoyable as they took care of almost every aspect of our trip.

From the minute we arrived Riad Mur Akush everything was wonderfully prepared and the location couldn't have been better. Mohammed, the Riad house manager, took excellent care of us while there, and had some outstanding recommendations for every inquiry. Mohammed made sure our stay went off without a hitch the entire time. For seven people and the logistics of our trip in Marrakech and while we were away to the desert-- that is really saying something.

The Riad- Rooms & Food
Each room is beautifully decorated, and I saw all of them since our group stayed in all of the rooms. They provide blow dryers, shampoo, body wash, and lotion. There was no bottled water in the rooms so I would suggest buying a case to have in the rooms for drinking and brushing your teeth. Also, bring your own ear plugs as the Riad is right next door to a Mosque and the calls to prayer are SO VERY LOUD. They provide ear plugs if you don't bring your own. The interior courtyard, sitting room and rooftop terrace are inviting, beautifully decorated and places where you want to spend time. We ate 3 breakfasts and one dinner at the road and everything was traditional and delicious. We had breakfasts that included traditional breads, cakes, yogurt, fruit, fresh jams, coffee and orange juice. Dinner was a tagine with steamed cous cous, chicken, and vegetables. They even arranged to have a cake with candles for me on my birthday. And the tea, oh the tea. We couldn't get enough and Mohammed was so kind to have it prepared for us whenever we came back to the riad.

3 Day Trek Arranged by Riad Mur Akush
We booked the 3 day trip with the Riad and had rough details about what we would be doing, but honestly we didn't know much more than that. No reason to worry though, they took care of every detail. Our driver, Abdel, (WHO WAS WONDERFUL) arrived with a van fit for 7 people and we departed Marrakech at 0730. Over the course of three days we travelled 1200 km out to the Sahara to ride camels and camp in the desert. The first day we drove through the Atlas mountains and made various stops at different UNESCO and historical sites such as the UNESCO Fortress/Kasbah Ait Benaddou. It is a beautiful fortress located on a river and the site where over 20 movies have been filmed like Gladiator and Prince of Persia and Game of Thrones. The first evening, we stayed at a hotel in a small town that was run by a family. They provided dinner and breakfast. The rooms were not as nice as Riad Mur Akush but were clean and comfortable for one evening. The next day we continued our trek to the Sahara. It was so interesting to see the terrain change from mountains to sand dunes. When we arrived in the Sahara our camels were saddled and ready for us to depart. We travelled to 30-40 minutes on camels out to our camp in the desert. It was a circle of tents made of bamboo, blankets and rugs (I posted pictures). There was a small mattress with clean sheets on the ground of each tent and blankets available to bundle up if it is cold. Our camel trek guide served the best tagine we ate the entire trip, played the drums and started a campfire for us to enjoy under the stars. I wasn't expecting much and it was primitive, but there was an actual western toilet sink with running water at the campsite which is more than I was expecting so I was super happy about that! The next morning we took the camels back to the resort where we started the trek. They had a breakfast prepared and waiting for us and also gave us keys to hotel rooms so we could shower before getting back in the van to head back. That day we drove all the way back to Marrakech and made a stop at the Movie studios to take a tour and get a break from the van. Over all, we travelled 1200 km in 3 days. It was a long trek, but worth it. I can't imagine doing all of it in only 2 days.

It was great trip, something I will always remember. Highly recommend

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floors are a little louder when the calls to prayer start early in the morning.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicole G
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you so much for this detailed and informative review, I am certain that a lot of our guests will find it extremely useful. I also found it very interesting to read and I am so grateful that you gave us all a "window" into your holiday. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, the service (Mohammed is indeed wonderful and only started with us a couple of months ago!), the food and the whole set up of the trip. Thank you for your kind and positive words, they are very motivating and much appreciated.
All the best from all of us here.

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here our first night in Marrakech. It is around 15 minute walk to the main square and easy to find. They also did pick us up from the airport which was nice. They served us mint tea and snacks when we arrived! Upgraded our room for free too. The room was so lovely. Extremely clean, plenty of blankets, nice shower. The terrace was also a nice view of the city. They were pretty helpful and nice overall.

• Stayed: February 2014
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hello! Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased that you had a good stay with us and you enjoyed the house, the views and the service. We offer a free upgrade to our guests if we can, and lots of other extras, as part of our 5 star service. Happy journeys! Maria

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at the Riad on the recommendation of friends who stayed last year and we weren't disappointed. Wonderful typically Moroccan surroundings, an oasis in the hectic whirl of Marrakech. Very attentive staff - so helpful and friendly and all topped off with amazing weather - what more could we ask for. Thanks so much - we'll be back

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne R

Hello! Thank you for your lovely review! It is wonderful to know that you had a good time during your stay with us and you enjoyed the riad and our services. I hope to hear from you again in the future. Take care,

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I arranged a 6 night stay as a suprise present for my husband and wanted it to be a trip he would never forget. I spent hours looking at other Riads and I am so pleased I chose Riad Mur Akush. We had the best holiday we have ever had. Maria helped me plan it, giving me ideas for trips and arranging airport transfers and a meal for our arrival. Her advise was so helpful and having everything organised before we left meant that when we arrived we could just get on with enjoying our holiday.
We were met at the airport by Hussain who pointed out things of interest on our journey to the Riad. He, like everyone connected with the Riad, made us feel so welcome. We were delighted that we got to meet him again when he took us back to the airport at the end of our stay.
I cant put into words how beautiful the Riad is. Our room on the top floor was wonderful with a sleeping area, sitting room and the biggest bathroom I have ever had. We arrived late and the Riad was all lit up looking so pretty. We got such a warm welcome from Mohamed and Rachid who are just the loveliest people you could meet. They had an amazing meal waiting for us and eating it in the court yard was magical. They made us feel at home straight away. You wont find better hosts anywhere.They look after everyone so well making sure they have everything they need.

Breakfast was always yummy. My fave was when we got cake! Mohamed made sure we had all the coffee we could drink and knew just when we needed a new pot!
On our first morning Mohamed gave us a map and pointed out places of interest and showed us how to get where we wanted to go.Thanks to him we never got lost.
The Riad is in a great location. Just a ten minute walk from the Square .it is next to the Bab Doukkala Mosque so is easy to find. The call to prayer did wake us on the first day but after that we slept through it. There are 2 terraces and the court yard, all great places to sit and relax after a days shopping and sight seeing.Mohamed and Rachid were always happy to make us coffee when we got back to the Riad. The views from the roof terrace were amazing and sitting there listening to the calls to prayer was one of my favourite experiences of the holiday.
We had a day trip to Essaouira on the bus and a day trip to the mountains arranged through the Riad. Both were days out we will never forget and ones we would recommend.
Eating out was so cheap. There are lots of great places near the Riad, including a Moroccan fish and chip shop. There is a little booklet in the room which gives details of places to eat and it was really useful.
We were made so welcome by Mohamed and Rachid that we didnt want to leave! Saying goodbye was very hard. We will definately be returning to Marrakech and to Riad Mur Akush and to the wonderful friends we made

Room Tip: Grand Suite Amel is the most private room in the Riad and is very spacious
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your lovely review. It is so good to know that you had such a wonderful holiday with us at such a special time!
We loved taking care of you and I am so happy that you got to do everything you wanted in the time you were here. I am glad you loved our food, it is made using the best ingredients and our cook cooks exclusively for you, to make sure it is all fresh and cooked with care.
I hope that you will visit us again in the future. Thank you once again for your kind words, Mohammed and Rachid are indeed wonderful people and they are also sending their thanks and smiles! Take care and all the best, Maria

Reviewed 14 February 2014

There are many positives about this Riad but what stood out for us was the staff. Mohamed was friendly and attentive from the moment we arrived and we were genuinely sad to leave after our four night stay here.

The location was great. It is near to the Bab Doukkala mosque so very easy to locate. We liked that the area seemed to be a busy neighbourhood with lots of locals going about their daily business, but it is only a ten minute or so walk to the main tourist attractions if that is what you want to see.

The riad itself was a little haven of tranquility within the walled city which is quite hectic! We stayed in the Meli room which was beautiful. It was clean, comfortable and decorated with a lovely Moroccan style. My favourite part would have to be the roof terrace where we enjoyed breakfast in the sun.

The call to prayer will wake you up - but if this bothers you you may want to consider why you are going to Marrakesh in the first place?! It is part of the culture and to be expected when you are staying in the Medina. We were so tired from our days exploring that we would fall straight back to sleep anyway.

Our stay here was topped off by a very romantic proposal on the roof terrace on our last night. Mohammed had been part of the planning and helped make it a very special night indeed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for lovely review and your kind words. I am very happy that you had a good stay with us and you enjoyed the house and what it offers.
I am so happy for your last night's proposal and I hope that you will always look back at your stay with us with a smile. It was wonderful talking care of you!
All the best for a great future together and I hope you will return to us again, maybe on your 1st anniversary?

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Rashid and Mohd were very pleasant and helpful.

Rashid helped us with directions, gave us pointers on the must-do and see in the medina, and his recommended public hammam gave myself and my friend a really unique experience. I definitely would suggest trying out the public hammam where locals go to for a real treat. I am very finicky about spas and the experience I have had at the nearby hammam proved eye-opening and addictive (I swear I wanted to do it again the next day).

The resident chef, Mohammed, was also very helpful to us and we signed up for a cooking lesson to cap our stay. The lamb tajine that we prepared that late afternoon for our dinner was so sumptuous! We couldn't ask for more. Kudos to the chef!

Rashid has his funny side and loves to joke.

Do be lighthearted with them as they are really so friendly.

As it was very cold, we hardly enjoyed the rooftop facility...you can lounge there, grab a beer in the evening or just simply gaze on the blue skies with the Atlas Mountains defining in the horizon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nouel75

Thank you for your lovely and detailed review. I am glad that you had a good stay with us and that Mohamed, Rachid were so helpful and knowledgeable during your stay. They do love talking to our guests and they know more or less everything there is to know about Marrakech!
Mohamed, our chef, is also fantastic, he loved reading your comments.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Riad Mur Akush hotel in Marrakech has just 6 rooms and if you are travelling in a party of 12, then you can have the entire hotel to yourselves. The hotel is located right in the heart of Marrakech and is close to Koutoubia Mosque. The breakfast is free which is normally continental. You can order Moroccan fare in advance and you should feel happy at the service rendered. The guests can have a choice of venue for their lunch or dinner – the patio, the roof top or the room. The rooms are styled in Moroccan architecture. The bathrooms are private and feature bath/shower and free toiletries. If you like some of the food, then the hotel arranges for cooking classes during your stay, so you can try the cooking back home. The place offers high speed Internet access free. The hotel also arranges for short tours and airport shuttles, if required.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your lovely review! I am so pleased that you had a good stay with us and you are right, Riad Mur Akush is indeed ideal for a group. We hope to hear from you again, all the best for now, Maria