Hotel Majestic
  • Pool
Hotel Swani(Meknes)
Zaki Hotel(Meknes)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This is not a luxurious hotel by any means, but then again it is not claiming to be ... it classes itself as a comfortable, family friendly location and that is exactly what it seems to be.

We stayed there for one night as part of an Intrepid Tour so not sure what the rate charged was, but as most of the places on our trip were the equivalent of (decent) 2/3 star hotels, I assume it was in the budget range. The rooms were clean, the staff were pleasant, the courtyard was quite nice, and there was free wi-fi. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful if not spectacular.

As others have said, its a bit of a walk to the Medina from here, but that was not a big deal in our opinion. In fact, it is a bit of a trade off ... We preferred the fact that it was only a 5 minute walk from the train station to the hotel on the day of our arrival as we'd rather walk 15/20 minutes to the Medina carrying just a day pack than walk 20 minutes to the hotel with all our luggage !!!

Ultimate test for me is to consider whether I would stay here again and the answer is YES. If I was on a tight budget, and not booking a more expensive, higher star hotel, then I would have no problem booking in here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Located near the train station, easy walking distance with backpacks. However, it is a decent 30 minute walk to the Medina. Clean rooms and en-suite, friendly staff and cheap restaurants nearby,

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DSWorldAdventure
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Room is basic, and decent. It is steps away from the train station and a 5 minute petit taxi ride from the touristic sights in town. My room smelled musty and was cold. My friends were checked into a room with someone else's hairs on their pillow and the towels were damp. The staff apologized and gave her a new room immediately. The showers were good. The room was quite loud in the morning. The breakfast was edible, not really "good"... but for the price I can't really complain. The staff is friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chambello
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Lovely deco and staff, very attentive and our driver Janati Abdelhay was wonderful for the day trip we took to the middle atlas area. The manager Maid spoke perfect English and was a huge help with everything we needed for our visit.Meknes is a wonderful place to visit.
The rooms are very clean and the water hot.

Room Tip: Get a room in the courtyard side
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham5665
Reviewed 28 February 2012

The Place
An Art Deco gem in one of the main streets of Mèknes' Ville Nouvelle. Architecture lovers will die with the stairs, corridors and rooms in all-original conditions that give to the hotel that special feeling of atemporal elegance. The kind of place that once was clearly the best hotel in town, lost its position but still remained with its charm, you know? All in a very kept, clean and well maintained structure (that doesn't go without a considerable cost of maintenance and amount of effort, as I got to know talking with the staff).

Location
Literally... meters away from the El-Amir Abdelkader Train Station, in one of the main avenues of the Ville Nouvelle. Once in Morocco, every tourist eventually will face the dilemma "Should I stay in the Medina? Should I stay in the Ville Nouvelle?". For Mèknes, in my "on-a-tight-budget-but-not-that-desperate" budget, my personal advise? Ville Nouvelle. For this price category, a comfortable and decent room in the Ville Nouvelle goes for the same price than a "Better not try to guess when those sheets were last washed" depressive room in the Medina. This in a city where a petit taxi trip costs only around 8DH (with taximeter invariably turned on - trying to bargain the price for the trip is not an issue in Mèknes) to link the historical places to the Ville Nouvelle and the bus system does the same fairly well if you fiercely feel like saving some Dirhams. This plus the Ville Nouvelle of Mèknes being an interesting place full of Art Deco buildings, amazingly cheap-and-good restaurants and old style cafés that make a stay that really interesting to check how the Moroccan middle class lives and looks like.

Do you know when people are obviously doing something they have talent at? That's the feeling I get from the staff of this hotel. Sympathetic, nice, welcoming, ready to do their best to provide you all the conditions for you to have a comfortable stay in their hotel. Everything kept carefully clean by the ladies that work the whole day to make the place shining as new. The concierges were one of the most sympathetic and funny people I met in my entire time in Morocco, and really helpful when I felt like taking the easy way and getting a taxi to visit Volubilis and Moulay Idriss. The kind of place you leave because you really have to catch a plane, otherwise you would stay one extra night just for the great way you felt in a place managed by this kind of people.

Price
270Dh for a double room. Fair price for a big city like Mèknes, specially considering that the breakfast was included.

Rooms
Deliciously retro would be the best word to describe them. Beds were comfortable, blankets were warm enough to handle the Mèknassi winter nights pretty well and the concierges keenly provided a electric heater since the central heating system was turned off during the low season for economy reasons. The bathroom was clean and acceptable, and the shower was ok (hot water being quite complicated to get sometimes, but again... it is like that all around Morocco and would be unfair to expect any different from this hotel in specific). Yes, there is no TV neither carpeted floor... but being in a truly retro hotel bedroom, do you really care? :D

Final Words
My words when I left this hotel were "Gotta an impression that even if I get rich, this will be the hotel I will always come back in Mèknes.". About hotels, in the end it's all about doing things in the right way, with a sincere happy smile and really enjoying what you are doing. No matter all the other frills - this is what makes people feel welcome. And that will drive them back as soon as they can.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple