“Very good value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad d'Or

Riad d'Or
Ranked #7 of 43 Meknes B&B and Inns
“Very good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Huge rooms in a stunning building split over multiple levels and filled with local handicrafts, winding stone staircases, intricate plaster work and surprising nooks. One of the best breakfasts we had in Morocco with superb service from the lady (manager?) who also provides front of house service in the related restaurant. Located right in the heart of the medina in a quiet spot. Extremely good value for money. As seems to be the case with most accommodation in Morocco, wifi is only available in a (smoky) common area and not available within the rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mystic-Cabbage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I had a very enjoyable 3 nights staying at Riad d'Or. The food and coffee at breakfast on the terrace were great each morning. The dinner in the restaurant was good Moroccan cuisine. The riad is an amazing labyrinth of room and terraces, encompassing several ancient buildings. The room was comfortable, and well decorated in classic Moroccan style. The staff was helpful and pleasant mannered.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

This place was recomended to us by an american couple in fez. We didn't realy believed till we got here. This is like from Ali Baba movie, exotic and enchanted. We arrived today morning and couldn`t believed our eyes. The terrace on the roof has several levels and the swimming pool (it's winter so it's closed) but i can imagine how great it is here in the summer. The breakfast is served on the terrace. This is a place to be. You mustn`t miss it.

• Stayed January 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

I wish there was a rating between "average" and "very good" - wouldn't "good" be a helpful rating on tripadvisor? And that's where, in the end, I would rate Riad d'Or.

I wish I could give Riad d'Or a rating of "excellent", because there are so many wonderful things about it, the first being the staff, who were so warm and delightful. The other big plus is the building itself - or buildings, I should say - which are spectacular, especially the older part of the riad. It was almost absurd to to be shown into our amazing room off a palatial courtyard similar to those showcased in the museums we'd been visiting in the last couple of weeks; we were grinning foolishly, unable to believe our good luck. The location is also excellent, not far from the main square, and within walking distance of almost everything you'll want to see in Meknes, including the souks (which are really worth visiting). We also had a nice massage arranged for us in the riad's hammam, at short notice and quite late at night, which was an excellent price and lovely right before bed. AND the food in the restaurant (which I think is quite new) was outstanding. The restaurant is a lovely space with an open fire, the Moroccan salads the were best we had on our trip, and the pastilla was delicious.

But (and I hate to say there were buts): emails I sent went unanswered, including a request for a map with directions to the riad, which they thought they had sent me but had not (fortunately it's well signposted if you know where to start looking for the signs). We weren't given the room we specifically requested, though we loved our room and were happy to stay there (I would have said something if we hadn't been pleased with it, but as it was didn't mention it to the staff, which I suppose didn't give them the opportunity to offer to move us to our requested room). There was a slightly funny smell in the lower part of the riad, where our room was. There was a heater in our room, but it didn't make much difference in the palatial space on a chilly December night. We had trouble getting the hot water to work - but the staff took action when we told them, and the next night it was deliciously hot and plentiful (we chose our Moroccan hotel rooms based on the size of their baths, but most of them didn't have the hot water capacity to fill these lovely baths they'd installed; Riad d'Or did).

So this is why Riad d'Or doesn't get five stars from us. Some elements of our stay deserved five stars, and others much lower. I feel genuinely torn about this, because I loved the staff and don't want this to reflect on them in any way, but I do want other travellers to know what to expect. I would recommend this as a place to stay, as long as you're ready for some of the trickier aspects. That said, the price is very reasonable - far, far cheaper than the building itself merits - and I think that reflects some of the rough-around-the-edges qualities of the experience.

Just glancing back over the other reviews: one of them mentions the strange review another guest left, complaining of the rude and unconcerned nature of the breakfast service, and defends the woman who serves breakfast - I want to stand up for her as well. She was the loveliest of all the lovely people we met in riads in Morocco, so friendly and warm (she also served us when we ate dinner at the riad). We loved her.

If you're looking for the riad from the main square, Place Hadim (or Ladim, or some other version of the name, we encountered a few): stand with your back to the Bab Mansour (the big beautiful gate). Head to the back right hand corner of the square; there's a pathway behind tables set out for a cafe, with an archway leading to the streets of the medina. Riad d'Or is signposted from there (basically, follow the street leading off the square until you reach the library of the grand mosque, then turn right, then turn left when you see a sign for Riad d'Or). The riad is also signposted from Rue Dar Smen - our taxi driver knew where to drop us when we came from the train station. Coming from the square: with Bab Mansour in front of you, turn left down the busy street, walking past a number of cafes with tables out on the pavement. Look for the sign (on the left side of the street) announcing Riad d'Or - head down this street, following signs for the riad, until you find it. Like all medina riads, it's obvious once you've found it (which isn't at all helpful when you're first looking!).

Oh, Riad d'Or, we want to unreservedly love you, we really do. We wish you all the very best, and we hope to see you again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Almohade suite - the photos on the website really don't do it justice. It's...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank pontiuspony
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

Stylish rooms are spread throughout 3 linked ancient buildings, each with its own character. Great multi-level terrace with panoramic views. There are so many details in the fitting-out of the whole hotel, the common rooms and even simply in the corridor, its overwhelmingly stunning! They have an enormously spacious roof terrace with a pool and many different seating-areas, everything incredibly pretty. The riad is very well located and really clean. A peaceful location within a busy medina. The staff is outstanding in friendliness and service. The breakfast is great, everything is fresh, really tasty and they offer a big, authentic selection of different deliciousnesses. The best and most extensive breakfast we ever had in Marocco.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Raw_Desert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Our party stayed only one night in the Riad d'Or, late October 2012. My wife and I were accompanied by a younger friend and her 2-year-old daughter (both residents of Chefchaouen). This is a large and most interesting riad, and the rooms come in varied flavours. My wife and I had a very nice room with the best shower fixtures encountered in the country, opening onto an absolutely stunning room shared in common with 2 other bedroom suites. Breakfast was very nice. Before I left the riad, the lady who is in charge of breakfast befriended me, and then asked me to interpret for her the 2-star review recently left by a disgruntled customer who complained that people on the breakfast service were very rude and unconcerned. She was quite troubled by the review, for she felt it could only be referring to her service, in which she prided herself. She was unable to recognize herself in the review and I would have to concord. For our part, we found the people on the breakfast service very friendly and very kind, ready to go out of their way to accommodate our special needs vis-a-vis the child. I assured her I would leave a review to rebut the bad impression another traveller left with. However, I cannot give the ownership such high praise. It seems that the riad is jointly owned by a Moroccan and an Italian fellow. The room which our friend and her child was assigned was quite dreadful, for there was a very strong stench in her room, apparently caused by some sort of drainage problem. She asked to be given another room, and was given only one option (because it was an economy room) which was on the top floor, up a very narrow and steep stairway which I feel would have been very difficult if not outright dangerous for an inquisitive 2-year-old to try to negotiate. When it was pointed out that there were several suitable rooms easily accessible that were empty for the night, the owner adamantly refused to allow her to have one of them because of the price differential. As the conversation became more heated, the owner requested she leave the riad, and our friend said sure, but please refund my money, which the owner likewise adamantly refused to do. All in all, a very unpleasant situation. In the end, she stayed in her small room with the horrific stench and suffered the night through. Otherwise, the management was friendly and helpful, and I would recommend this place for its interest and beauty (it was constructed in 1672), but be mindful there might be some problems with bull-headed and greedy ownership.

Room Tip: Beware of the economy rooms, especially the one on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Antonkai
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

Meknes was our first stop in Morocco after a long flight, and Riad d'Or was a home away from home. Yes, it is tucked in within the labyrinth of the Medina and the walk towards it makes you wonder "what did I get myself into", but once you're inside, all those fears dissipates.
The hosts were very nice, our room was lovely and the building beautiful. We stayed in the "main" building, just above the reception area - Idrisse, if I'm not mistaken. Large room with its own fireplace, although we didn't need to use it. The shower do not have a door, but is a hidden alcove. So if you're traveling with someone that you're not very close to, maybe ask them for a room with a shower door. I was traveling with my sister and we made our own "arrangements".
The view from the rooftop is nice. There's also a lounge area, which we didn't try. Breakfast consist of a variety of pastries, coffee and orange juice. Not extensive but sufficient.
It is very near the main square (about 5mins walk), but far enough from the noise.
A great introduction to our 2 weeks trip in Morocco