“Authentic and comfortable!”
Review of Riad d'Or

Riad d'Or
Ranked #8 of 43 Meknes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I Loved my stay and the staff was so very kind. Beautiful decor, great traditional breakfast, wonderful views. Ill return again and recommend it highly. Easy to feel at home. Thanks Medhi for the Arabic lessons and organizing my arrival and departure. Did not get a chance to use the hammam. Will do next time hopefully.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 20 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at Riad D’Or on the 27th of December along with another couple and had the MOST HORRIBLE experience ever.

We had booked the last two rooms (a comfort room and a superior room) at the Riad for the night through booking.com. While the superior room was ok (though one of the main lights in the room wasn’t working because the bulb was fused and the Riad had not bothered to replace it!!!), the standard room was VERY average and had a STRANGE odor. My friend and I decided to share our concern about the odor with the staff and had the misfortunate of interacting with the Italian owner. His reaction to the odor in the room was “C’est comme ca” (translation: that’s how it is!!!!). That was just the start of the problems! I had my friend speak to the owner since he was also Italian but instead of trying to help, the owner stuck to his ground and suggested that the odor in the room was normal!

Within an hour of us being there, the electricity in the entire Riad went off. While I can consider that this was out of the control of the hotel, they could have atleast offered us basics like candles or torchlights in our room.

Given that it was dinnertime and late, we decided to eat at the Riad itself, surprisingly the dining room had electricity. BUT, we had to wait for 45 minutes to place our orders and had to deal with the attitude of the waitress. When we were done with dinner around 11.30 at night, I requested the waitress to check if the electricity in the Riad was back. Her response: “Sorry, I am busy doing my job here, I cannot check that for you.”

Luckily for us, the lights came back on around 11.45pm and so we were able to turn on the heat, pile on our warm clothes and sleep! However, around 8am again, the lights went off. Given that our rooms were VERY dark, I clambered down the MANY stairs and requested the lady at the front desk to give me some candles. We were also informed that there was NO HOT WATER and that we would have to wait for atleast 45 minutes after the electricity came back on to get hot water!!!! So we showered with COLD water (in the winter time). Aside from the cold water, the water in the shower area wouldn’t drain!!!!

Breakfast? Our worst during our two-week stay in Morocco. They served us a glass of orange juice each and when my friend asked for a refill, she was told that she would be charged more?!?!?! Eggs? Forget about it! We were given bread and some Moroccan pancakes!

Finally, when we were checking out, we were offered a 2.5euro discount for the inconvenience. We were appalled and suggested that we get a better discount for not having hot water and electricity for most of our stay. The owner turned very rude and aggressive along with his staff and actually abused my Italian friend. INAPPROPRIATE.

Throughout this entire debacle, we NEVER heard the word SORRY!!!!

Some advice for Riad D’Or:
- You are in the customer service business—treat your customers with respect and ACCEPT when you FAIL to deliver on basic requirements like HOT WATER and ELECTRICITY
- Hire a fluent English speaking staff member to deal with non-French and Italian speaking guests (I imagine there are many people like this)!!!

Given the number of positive comments I had read on Trip Advisor regarding this place, I was amazed to actually experience the Riad myself. I would strongly urge others to stay in different Riads! The service levels at this Riad are inexcusable!

Room Tip: If you make the mistake to stay here, and are booking through a travel site- please follow up with t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank RadParis
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Unforgettable experience in this diar located inside the medina, historical building built in 1791.Elegantly decorated with spacious area, delicious hammam and cosy wifi area.We had
pacha room that was incredibly big and smartly decorated with a beatiful bath.The rich breakfast is served top in the terrace with a lovely view of Meknes and a relaxing swimming pool.
I want thank harmly Zzakia in front desk always smiling and giving us precious suggestions, Midi and Amil for the good friendship we established during our staying

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Martravel69
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Huge rooms in a stunning building split over multiple levels and filled with local handicrafts, winding stone staircases, intricate plaster work and surprising nooks. One of the best breakfasts we had in Morocco with superb service from the lady (manager?) who also provides front of house service in the related restaurant. Located right in the heart of the medina in a quiet spot. Extremely good value for money. As seems to be the case with most accommodation in Morocco, wifi is only available in a (smoky) common area and not available within the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mystic-Cabbage
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I had a very enjoyable 3 nights staying at Riad d'Or. The food and coffee at breakfast on the terrace were great each morning. The dinner in the restaurant was good Moroccan cuisine. The riad is an amazing labyrinth of room and terraces, encompassing several ancient buildings. The room was comfortable, and well decorated in classic Moroccan style. The staff was helpful and pleasant mannered.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2013

This place was recomended to us by an american couple in fez. We didn't realy believed till we got here. This is like from Ali Baba movie, exotic and enchanted. We arrived today morning and couldn`t believed our eyes. The terrace on the roof has several levels and the swimming pool (it's winter so it's closed) but i can imagine how great it is here in the summer. The breakfast is served on the terrace. This is a place to be. You mustn`t miss it.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I wish there was a rating between "average" and "very good" - wouldn't "good" be a helpful rating on tripadvisor? And that's where, in the end, I would rate Riad d'Or.

I wish I could give Riad d'Or a rating of "excellent", because there are so many wonderful things about it, the first being the staff, who were so warm and delightful. The other big plus is the building itself - or buildings, I should say - which are spectacular, especially the older part of the riad. It was almost absurd to to be shown into our amazing room off a palatial courtyard similar to those showcased in the museums we'd been visiting in the last couple of weeks; we were grinning foolishly, unable to believe our good luck. The location is also excellent, not far from the main square, and within walking distance of almost everything you'll want to see in Meknes, including the souks (which are really worth visiting). We also had a nice massage arranged for us in the riad's hammam, at short notice and quite late at night, which was an excellent price and lovely right before bed. AND the food in the restaurant (which I think is quite new) was outstanding. The restaurant is a lovely space with an open fire, the Moroccan salads the were best we had on our trip, and the pastilla was delicious.

But (and I hate to say there were buts): emails I sent went unanswered, including a request for a map with directions to the riad, which they thought they had sent me but had not (fortunately it's well signposted if you know where to start looking for the signs). We weren't given the room we specifically requested, though we loved our room and were happy to stay there (I would have said something if we hadn't been pleased with it, but as it was didn't mention it to the staff, which I suppose didn't give them the opportunity to offer to move us to our requested room). There was a slightly funny smell in the lower part of the riad, where our room was. There was a heater in our room, but it didn't make much difference in the palatial space on a chilly December night. We had trouble getting the hot water to work - but the staff took action when we told them, and the next night it was deliciously hot and plentiful (we chose our Moroccan hotel rooms based on the size of their baths, but most of them didn't have the hot water capacity to fill these lovely baths they'd installed; Riad d'Or did).

So this is why Riad d'Or doesn't get five stars from us. Some elements of our stay deserved five stars, and others much lower. I feel genuinely torn about this, because I loved the staff and don't want this to reflect on them in any way, but I do want other travellers to know what to expect. I would recommend this as a place to stay, as long as you're ready for some of the trickier aspects. That said, the price is very reasonable - far, far cheaper than the building itself merits - and I think that reflects some of the rough-around-the-edges qualities of the experience.

Just glancing back over the other reviews: one of them mentions the strange review another guest left, complaining of the rude and unconcerned nature of the breakfast service, and defends the woman who serves breakfast - I want to stand up for her as well. She was the loveliest of all the lovely people we met in riads in Morocco, so friendly and warm (she also served us when we ate dinner at the riad). We loved her.

If you're looking for the riad from the main square, Place Hadim (or Ladim, or some other version of the name, we encountered a few): stand with your back to the Bab Mansour (the big beautiful gate). Head to the back right hand corner of the square; there's a pathway behind tables set out for a cafe, with an archway leading to the streets of the medina. Riad d'Or is signposted from there (basically, follow the street leading off the square until you reach the library of the grand mosque, then turn right, then turn left when you see a sign for Riad d'Or). The riad is also signposted from Rue Dar Smen - our taxi driver knew where to drop us when we came from the train station. Coming from the square: with Bab Mansour in front of you, turn left down the busy street, walking past a number of cafes with tables out on the pavement. Look for the sign (on the left side of the street) announcing Riad d'Or - head down this street, following signs for the riad, until you find it. Like all medina riads, it's obvious once you've found it (which isn't at all helpful when you're first looking!).

Oh, Riad d'Or, we want to unreservedly love you, we really do. We wish you all the very best, and we hope to see you again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Almohade suite - the photos on the website really don't do it justice. It's...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends