“Meknes et riad dor”

Ranked #8 of 43 Meknes B&B and Inns
dirono
“Meknes et riad dor”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The Riad is located in an incredible historic palace, which has been renovated maintaining some original rooms and adding new ones. It has 2 beautiful internal courtyards and a huge terrace on different levels with awesome views on the city. My room (the "Almoravide") was quite an experience, as it had the ambience of a 250 year old princess's suite with 4 meter high wooden ceilings, woodcarved arches and decorated walls, as well as a Hammam like bathtub below ground. It felt like being in a film, but also slightly spooky! The night porter was very friendly and provided me with water for tea twice.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

For an imperial city with a lot to see, I found Meknes to really be lacking in anything other than what I would call "basic" accommodation as far as riads are concerned. Riad D'or is ok, but is a complete labyrinth of a place with room names that are close to unpronounceable and therefore totally forgettable. A person can wander for quite some time without ever actually finding their room. I'm not sure what would be so hard about simply putting up some signage to lead guests to their rooms? I found it extremely frustrating. Our bathroom had a "sunken" L shaped shower. In the cold of December, you actually had to step down into a freezing tiled hole in the ground. The shower did not connect to the wall so you had to hold the nozzle and move it over your body to get we. How does a person hold a shower nozzle in one hand, plus use two hands to soap up and wash your hair? I froze! Most unpleasant! What is so hard about attaching the shower to the wall? We noted that the staff member who showed us to our room took the heater remote control with him. My husband (an Arabic speaker) went down to get it as the room was freezing. He was told they don't leave the remotes in the room as guests turn the heating/cooling on and never turn it off, costing them in electricity. Um - derrrr! Isn't that what I'm bloody paying you for by paying the room rate? Needless to say, I marched straight down to reception and demanded immediate possession of the remote! There was a menu in the room on arrival offering approximately 4 entrees, 6 mains and 4 desserts which enticed us to dine there. On arrival at the restaurant we were offered a different menu with only 2 entrees, 3 mains and 2 desserts, and none of the dishes that had enticed us there in the first place. We asked the waiter (in Arabic - so no communication problems) "What is the soup of the day?" "Don't know" was the reply, with no move whatsoever to find out. Dude, isn't it, like, waitering 101 to know the dishes of the day before coming out to serve customers? Suffice to say, we skipped entrée, had a quick tagine and opted to return to our room to eat our own Moroccan pastries for dessert. My review - feckless, ignorant and penny pinching staff and not enough thought about how to make the rooms user friendly. Lovely tiling in the downstairs salon, but otherwise I'll look for other accommodation when next I'm in Meknes.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The rooms are absolutely stunning! The riad is very clean and the architecture of the building is very beautiful. It is somewhat a maze and there is a lot to discover. The restaurant of Riad D'or is also very good. I had an amazing time in this riad and felt very welcome. Everyone was very kind and helpful. When my friend got sick the host even took me to a pharmacy. Love this riad and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This riad is my favorite during my visit ot Morocco. It is so beautiful and relaxing that I hated to leave. Wandering around the riad you discovered amazingly furnished sitting rooms where you can gather with your friends. The bath is large, although the lighting is too dim. The breakfast is great!
My only suggestion to the owner is to provide extra blankets during the cooler months.

Room Tip: The riad is probably made up of two or more small houses. It has a series of stairs that connects...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Riad d'Or is a place to discover and to stay for some days... excellent breakfast and home made food, different rooms decorated with a lot of taste, relaxing in one of the many lovely corners, drinking a thee while talking with the owners you will make friends forever.
Thanks you so much guys, keep going on! This is a lifeproject to be continued!

ann en lina from belgium (Leuven)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnnG50
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 September 2013

the Riad is very nice and clean with the staff are so friendly especially Zakia the receptionist and also Ghizlan in the restaurant and i like the location so much it is very near to Sahat Alhadim and the old madenah

Room Tip: Marrakesh room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Seagull1960
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I had a reservation for this hotel and when i got there coming from Ouarzazate (10h drive) they told me that my reservation was cancelled because i got there at 21h and the check in is until 19h.
I made the reservation through Booking.com and i didn't saw that the check in was so early.
So they send me away without any help saying that they already sold the room and so i was in the midle of Méknes alone without any help from them.
They were very uncongenial to us and no help at all! Very rough and afther a10h drive, after trying to get there in the middle of the Medine, they just told us that we have to leave the hotel because they have sold our room.
After that we contact Booking.com that had to talk to them trying not to charge a no show, this mean that they wanted to charge the same room twice, they sold the room and after we got there and expulsed from there they wanted to charge us with a no show.
This is the worst hotel i ever bean in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends