“Expected more .... but”

Ranked #25 of 45 Rabat B&B and Inns
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Expected more .... but”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The lifts are only big enough for one person and their suitcase, so it was necessary to use the stairs a lot. The room was spartan but comfortable and reasonably clean. The hotel is a noisy hotel because there are no sound absorbing carpets on the floor and no wall decorations, so when someone in another room moves a chair to sit at the small table intended to be the dressing table, the whole hotel knows. There was no plug for the wash basin or bath and the shower was a standard hand shower. The buffet dinner was not particularly good; the soup was bland and tasteless while everything else was spiced to the extreme such that you did not know what you were eating which meant most guests filled themselves with the fruits and pastries for desert. The breakfast buffet was just as bad with the coffee undrinkable.

Room Tip: Get a room on the opposite side of the hotel to the railway station otherwise you will be woken by t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peter S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Iroquois, Canada
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Hotel Majliss, in Rabat, was the second hotel we stayed at in a recent trip to Morocco.As with our first hotel it was promoted as 4 star but we were a shrewder consumers this time and had come to a better understanding of the star system in Morocco as being considerably less vigilant than in Canada.From our conversation with others in our group we came to understand that there are two versions of the room set up - one with a balcony and one with a sitting area. Our room included the sitting area and on hind sight I probably would have preferred the balcony. The room decor was beautifully authentic to Moroccan design with rich ruby pillows and decorative accompaniments that made us feel that we might have traveled into a Delacroix painting ( ie Women of Algiers, 1834). Unfortunately the mattress on the bed was the hardest I have ever experienced and I was only able to get a night's sleep as the result of exhaustion from a day of sight seeing.The shower over-flowed, which became a recurring phenomenon in all future Moroccan hotels we stayed at, and was apparently not a source of worry to the hotel management who made no attempt to be helpful.Our arrangements with the hotel included dinner and breakfast buffets. Neither of these was in any way appealing. While some attempt had been made to arrange the food pleasantly the food itself was without merit. It felt more like eating at summer camp than a luxury hotel. At dinner the server brought a large bottle of water to the table which he removed the lid from and graciously filled our glasses. It was a surprise when at the meal's end he demanded payment.I think we would have been pleased to order water if that had been offered and make payment but when it arrived unsolicited it was assumed it was complimentary.Unlike most other hotels we stayed at during our trip, Hotel Majliss does not have a bar or gathering spot other than the always crowded lobby. The elevator is frighteningly small and with just my husband and I and our suitcases it was a squeeze. I would recommend that visitors ask for a room on the lowest floor and use the stairs. As Rabat is the administrative center of the country I suspect this hotel was set-up for the convenience of business travelers and I suggest if your travel is for pleasure there must be something more pleasurable available in the city.

Room Tip: Select a room on the lowest floor possible and avoid using the elevators. Ask for a balcony,
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Last time I stayed in this hotel was 4 years ago. Last week I had a chance to visit Rabat and of course because of my previous experience I have chosen to stay in this hotel again. Amazingly they remembered me after all this time, same crew, same decor, but they were few changes. The first one is that you can have WiFi in your room, that is a great plus. For some reasons the internet gets very slow after 10pm, weird...They got rid of the business center which was a desk with a computer and printer back in 2008. I found it very frustrating because I had some documents to print and scan, and of course I had to find a kinko style shop to do it.
Breakfast is the same a lot of pastries, Moroccan pancakes, fruits, egg station that serve omelets with cheese only, no other ingredients. The waiting was outstanding, a lot of attention to details and provided great care to their customers.
They were 2 elevators, one of them was under construction during my stay. As stated below the elevator was so small that barely fit myself and 2 suitcases. I hope the construction going on the other elevator was to make it bigger.
Overall, it was a happy stay and would recommend it again to anyone visiting Rabat because of its location in the heart of downtown and the outstanding service of its staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We thought we would be staying at the hotel Diwan in Rabat, so the transfer of hotels to Majliss was a real letdown. It is merely serviceable. Fine for business travellers, but not for tourists. The elevators only fit 2 people at a time, and the food choices in the restaurant are very limited. It is better to eat out. They like to keep the hotel exetremely dim, only having one light bulb to light an entire hallway, and always covering the windows with a blackout shade, even if you pull it out of the way for some natural light, it is always put back in place by the cleaning staff, making the rooms look dark and dingy. They do not take Amex, so this limits travelers who prefer to use this type of charge card. The wifi was open, no need for a password to access. Our last night in Casablance at the Hyatt made up for a dissappointing stay in Rabat

Room Tip: The front of the hotel faces the main train station in Rabat, so ask for a room on the other side.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Rabat hotels

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Situated in a side street just next to the railwaystation,and almost invisible from outside I was quite sceptical when I arrived. However staff were friendly and rooms are ok but small.The rooms do however have a nice big sofa that takes much space.The lifts in this hotel are tiny small and can hardly take two people with luggage. The hotel is in walking distance to many restaurants and snack bars as well as to the market place(old medina). Breakfast buffet ok with some friuts, egg to order,bread, cereals, arabic bread and sweets.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the railway can get some noice from the trains but this was less than what I expected...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
California
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This was one of the best of the four hotels where we stayed in Morocco. It has an appealing entrance, check-in was fairly speedy, and the room was very nice: spacious, modern, clean, and with a nice view. The buffet dinner and breakfast were probably the best we had at a hotel--lots of choice and good-quality food. Free wireless internet in the rooms. The location is also nice, very close to the busy "downtown" area where it's nice to go for a walk. The one negative of this hotel was the mattresses, which were VERY hard. I mean, like giant bricks--they didn't "give" at all as you sat on them (and I like firm mattresses). Still, everything else makes this a hotel I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JMK36
NZ
Reviewed 15 January 2010

This hotel was the surprise package of the tour. Close to the Station, double glazing on all the windows so no noise, lovely reception area and good restaurant, clean and well appointed but the best of all - beautiful beds and pillows. Often Moroccan beds are rock hard, the pillows the same. These were superb.

Full marks to this place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo