“Last resort”

Ranked #31 of 45 Hotels in Rabat
London, United Kingdom
“Last resort”
Reviewed 11 March 2011

This place has a very outdated feel about it and really became our last resort since a lot of the other hotels we had on our list were fully booked. The rooms are very basic and ours faced the street making it very difficult to fall asleep and keep on being asleep. Overpriced for what you get and make sure you have earplugs if you do decide to stay at Hotel Royal.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Arabic first
usa
Reviewed 22 December 2010

The rooms reek of something odd, maybe disinfectant- they are reasonably clean, but the staff is surly and often rude. I ended up here by accident and would never come again- try the Hotel Balima down the street.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Rabat hotels

Basel
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Royal is a very nice hotel to stay in, especially in this price segment. Very clean and friendly, easy-going. Breakfast's great, too. And for people with back problems like me I can only recommend the beds! Smack dab in the middle of Rabat, without being too noisy. Still, try to get a room out back, out front can be a wee loud at times. Unfortunately, they don't take credit cards, so make sure you've got enough cash to pay for the rooms. And the telephone switch board Lonely Planet recommends seeing is not as fascinating as it sounds. But all in all: Great hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank VanyaTC
Philadelphia
Reviewed 17 May 2010

This hotel has a pretty lobby and free wireless internet. The rooms are a bit basic, with older-looking furniture and bedding, and dim lighting. But, our room was clean and had nice, big windows, although that made it a bit loud at night. The staff were also very helpful and attentive. It is within walking distance of the Medina.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Lincoln UK
Reviewed 22 April 2010

The hotel is in a great location within easy walking distance of Rabat railway station but when you get there you do have to go up 10 or 12 steps from street level to reception.
The room and bathroom were adequate but a bit tight as they had added an extra bed to accommodate our son who was travelling with us and it only just fitted. We could very clearly hear the call to prayer from our room.
Breakfast was fine but the evening meal was a bit bizarre - when we started to say what we wanted with the main part of the meal we were told that the chef would choose what went best with the meat. This turned out to be greasy spaghetti.
We had to pay cash, paying for the first night on day one and for the second night on day two. We had the impression that we were there under sufferance and they did not trust us, so overall we did not feel totally comfortable in the Royal Hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2010

I stayed at the Royal Hotel last week and when I checked out I accidentally left my passport in my room. I took the train to Marrakech and did not realize that my passport was missing until late in the evening. I was booked to fly the next day from Marrakech to London, where I had a prepaid hotel booking, and was also booked, three days after my arrival in London, to fly to Canada. In other words, this was a major problem that was likely to cause me a lot of aggravation and a good deal of money.

I called the Royal Hotel when I discovered that my passport was missing. After a couple of phone discussions, they proposed to have one of their staff take the train from Rabat to Marrakech in the morning with my passport. The train was to arrive in Marrakech at 10:00 a.m., well in time for my flight at about 3:00 p.m. For this, the hotel proposed to charge me the the price of a first class train ticket, 400 Dirhams or about US$50.

The next morning, at 8:30 a.m., I received a call in my room at my hotel in Marrakech from a gentleman who said that he was in the lobby with my passport. It turned out that he took the 3:15 a.m. train from Rabat and came directly to my hotel. Needless to say, I gave him, in addition to my effusive thanks, a good deal more than 400 Dirhams.

This is extraordinary service, the kind of service that one might get from the Four Seasons or hotels or similar caliber. It is something that I will never forget.

Regarding my stay at the Royal Hotel, I found the staff pleasant and helpful (how helpful, I was about to find out), the location excellent and the room spotless.

I have nothing but good things to say, and I am very grateful.

Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Rory E
new york
Reviewed 22 February 2009

We stayed here because it was near the train station, thus convenient to catch a train to the airport in the morning. The hotel is 10 minute walk from the train. Staff was efficient but not warm. We booked online for 700 DH, but when we got there they told us 600 DH and when I asked if there was a less expensive room, they showed me a room of the same size for 418 DH without breakfast. Bear that in mind if you are on a budget.
The street noise can be heard all night; not a problem if you bring ear plugs. The room was clean but not sparkling. The bedspread had rips in it.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple