“Under-rated. An excellent visit.”

National Archaeology Museum
Ranked #17 of 52 things to do in Rabat
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1986 this has been a history museum in Morocco, with rich archaeological collections dating back to prehistoric times.
Melbourne, Australia
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Under-rated. An excellent visit.”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Exhibits from Neolithic to modern times. The object I liked the best was a Roman-Egyptian sculpture of an aged fisherman, worn out with a life of toil, still gallantly casting his line into the ocean. The museum described the sculpture as a “caricature” which seemed to me to be cynical

Visited December 2013
1 Thank NZDAY

Charlottetown, PEI
193 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“A worthwhile visit”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We were staying at the Diwan (about three blocks away) and were very glad we decided to visit this lovely little museum. The property itself is worth seeing. The best exhibits were off the garden (look for the turtle family living in the garden). The cost is very low at 10 dh and a very nice gentleman checked in with us from time to time to point out some special items. We believed him to be an employee of the museum but he was not obtrusive and rather than follow us around, he simply pointed out some items of particular interest in various rooms. He did not request a tip and only offered us the purchase of a book. We did enjoy the information he provided so we tipped him as we left the building. Just a block away, back on the main street, there is a large new building. We were told this will be the site of the new museum and that the artifacts in this little museum plus others in storage will all be moved to the new location.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank HappyCanadian13
portage wi
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A nice diversion”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is definitely not something that I would put on the "must do" list but since we had time to spare in Rabat, we decided to check out the museum since it had many artifacts from the Roman ruins in Volubilis. We were the only 2 people there and it cost 10 dirhams/person. Museums doesn't seem to be something that is Morocco's strength BUT if you've got the time, this was an interesting place to spend an hour.

Visited July 2013
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Could do better”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We eventually found this sweet little museum after the taxi driver took us to the wrong street.
It may be a good idea to get all the local taxi drivers here for a visit as they don't seem to know the place exists.
A great little museum - if you can read arabic or french - there are very few labels in english.
It would help if there were labels in other languages.
The entry price is reasonable, 10 dh per head. What I didn't like was the fact that although there are no signs forbidding photography I was told that I could take photos if I paid at the desk. What! Incidentally, there are no tickets to take home as souvineers, or to account for the takings on the door.
The museum itself is pretty sparse. I'm sure there are a lot more things that could be put on display. We would have bought some explanatory leaflets, if there were any. When we asked about books we were offered a large textbook on mediterranean archeology for 200 dh, not bad for a book in french and english but I wasn't sure as it was not priced.
I did notice that at least one of the exhibits (an incense burner) was a copy with the original in the Louvre, Paris. Does the museum not have any more decent burners to exhibit? Anyway I thought that this sort of colonialism was out of favour and exhibits being returned to the country of origin?
In the prehistoric section there is a reconstructed skull labelled Homo sapiens sapiens. I'm not a qualified anthropologist but, with brow ridges like that I think it may be mis-labelled.

Visited January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Small museum, some really nice pieces”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

This is a nice little museum, not all that much to see, but worth the 10 Dirhams (equal to about US$1.25 or €1) admission fee. I have read that the museum houses many of the better pieces from several of Morocco’s ancient sites. A bit more explanations, and explanations in English, would be helpful, but all the same the museum is not a bad way to spend an hour.

Visited May 2012