Hotel Splendid
US$122
US$102
US$96
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Unfortunately, we recently had a terrible experience at Hotel Splendid. We telephoned prior to arriving in Rabat and were quoted two different prices of Dh230 and Dh330, it seemed, depending on who telephoned (the lower price for a French-speaking male, the higher price for an English-speaking female). We went to the hotel anyway, as we found other hotels in the same range full, and were given a room on the top floor (attic) with ensuite bath for Dh230. I took a shower immediately upon checking in, and while in the shower, the man from reception banged on the door and demanded that we leave immediately because he could not find any entry reference number in our passports. We tried to explain that the official at the airport had forgotten to stamp the number in our passports, that we had had no trouble at any other hotels, that we were permitted visa-free entry, and that we planned to visit the police prefecture in Rabat to obtain the numbers as soon as we had the chance. He refused to listen, and shouted and threatened us irrationally and aggressively, even entering the room to attempt to pick up our belongings and throw them out into the hallway, nearly knocking me down in the process. Thus, while the rooms at this hotel might be decent, I cannot recommend it and would caution travellers against staying here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank guianna
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Good location, clean large rooms with bathrooms. Great value for money (but beware the quoted price on many booking sites don't include the tax).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We arrived in Rabat after a week trekking in the mountains and decided to try this place. The guy in reception didn't speak much English but we were able to use our French to get an ensuite twin room. It was on the 4th floor and there are no lifts - no a problem for us, but maybe for others.
He happily gave us the key to go and look at the room, which was a pleasant suprise.
Basic furniture, but two decent beds, large waardrobe and a desk with chair. The bathroom was a "wet room" and once we figured out how to stop the water from the shower head spurting in 5 different directions we got a nice warm shower. The bathroom even had a proper door (the first one in 9 days!).
Reception was often empty, but some banging and coughing generally brought the guy out from the back room.
This ISN'T the place if you are after luxury and amazing service, but for a good quality, basic ensuite room for less than £20 a night we were more than happy.
Breakfast wasn't included but lots of fairly cheaper patisseries and cafes around the area.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the ensuite option unless after real cheap deal. And maybe on a lower floor!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank bluemonster
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stayed at Hotel Splendid for about a week and a half in October. I recommend it to people who are looking for an inexpensive, centrally located place to stay in Rabat.

I stayed in two different rooms here. Both had an en suite bathroom. Both rooms were adequately sized and clean. I had to change rooms partway through my stay which was not a problem, except that the toilet seat in my new room looked dirty. I told the hotel staff that the toilet seat was dirty on my way out one morning and was told that it would be cleaned. When I got back to my room I noticed something amazing: the toilet seat had not been cleaned, but rather completely removed! I guess this was easier than cleaning it? In any case, this didn't really bother me and I found it kind of funny.

The hotel is located in downtown Rabat, just a couple of blocks from the medina, about a 5-8 minute walk to the Rabat Ville train station, and has lots of shops, cafes, and restaurants in its immediate vicinity. There is a room near the entrance to the hotel with free wifi for guests. My favorite part of the hotel is its large courtyard area. You can order food to eat in this courtyard from the restaurant across the street or simply relax at one of the tables.

For the price and location this is a good choice in Rabat.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JoeMizoSoup
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The hotel Splendid is located with in a 10-15 minute walk from the Rabat -Ville train station and the brand new tram! In the heart of a shopping district and located within a 5 minute walk of the Old Medina of Rabat - its a great location to launch your explorations of Rabat.

The hotel consists of two buildings housing rooms with a central courtyard in the middle which has a small garden and fountain.

The rooms are clean, basic and don't include ensuite toilets although there is a sink and a bidet. They also have a big wardrobe that you can store your clothing and gear.

Rooms in the main building lack electric sockets to charge electronics - so be sure to make use of the indoor salon that has an electric socket and free WiFi that has a strong connection.

There is no complimentary breakfast but next door and across the street as well as in the surrounding area has several places to grab a bite to eat. There is also a "hanut" aka corner store that sells bottled water and yogurt which can make a great breakfast or snack.

The staff is extremely helpful and friendly - I need to get some laundry detergent and they were able to give me good directions to a hanut that had some.

The staff speak fluent French, Moroccan Arabic and some English - so if your willing to put in a little effort - you are sure to communicate and get what you need.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back building - they have the electric plugs and bring ear plugs - all the nice tile means the sound in the stairwells echo loudly.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo