“Small hotel with taste and sensitivity”
Review of Dar 23

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tangier
Dar 23
Ranked #16 of 49 Tangier B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We only had a short 2 day stay here but Peter has restored this small home into a real delight, the top floor suite is absolutely delicious, with wooden shutters creating strong patterns of light across the room changing as the sun moves through the day.
His staff are helpful too, they will collect you and help you find your way through a myriad of alleys in the Kazbah.
Breakfast was prepared by Peter who is keen to introduce you to a little of local cuisine and will help shape your day if asked.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs, we were woken 3 times per night with the call to prayer, I actually got to enjoy the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at Dar23 in mid-May 2014 as part of the last leg of our travels through Morocco. Though we only stayed one night, it as crystal clear that made the right and possibly best choice. The dar was easy to find as we were met by one of the dar's very pleasant staff at the Cinema Rif and led via an easy walk right to the door. Once inside we were immediately impressed by its beauty and impeccable cleanliness. The dar is in an ideal location from which to see the medina and the Kasbah. Peter was very warm, very friendly, and immediately made us feel at home. He was never too busy to answer our questions and sat with us on several occasions to give advice, directions, and serve us an early and excellent breakfast and excellent coffee on the morning of our departure. I CANNOT recommend this dar more highly. You owe it to yourself to give it a try on your next visit to Tangier. Really. Thanks for everything Peter and good luck with your new project. I'm sure you'll be just as successful with that as you've been with Dar23.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Peter's Dar (home) is a delicious little treasure in the medina of Tangiers. Don't be fooled by the walk up the hill from the Petit soco, once the front door opens, it's a delight to the senses . The attention to detail is amazing and his choice of white as a backdrop really brings out how precious each of his pieces of decor are. There is a mix of influences in the decor with a beautiful nod to his love of Moroccan style. My room was simply lovely and the most comfortable bed I slept on in Morocco. Excellent reading materials and a large bottle of water are nice touches in the room. The patio on the roof provides a stunning view of the medina and the port and with the nice breeze, it was an extremely pleasant place to spend some quiet time. It was the end of my time in Morocco and Dar 23 was my last stop and what a beautiful way to end the holiday. As I was tired of going out to eat - Peter graciously made me dinner (cooks night off) and it was lovely to sit in his kitchen and chat over a home cooked meal. Breakfast was also delicious with Peter's signature attention to detail - I hated to leave.....Communication with Peter is quick and he was very responsive to emails. The meeting point in the square (by Cinema Rif) makes it very easy to meet Muhammed who will come and help you with your bags and escort you to Dar 23. I highly recommend a visit to Dar 23 if you're in Tangiers and are looking for a comfortable, upscale, authentic medina experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Dar 23 is the perfect example for not judging a book by it’s cover. Upon entering for the first time, I admit I was disappointed. But it didn’t take long to realise that this was a great riad run by a great inn keeper. The beds and linen were first class. The breakfasts were the best of all the riads we stayed in. The tips and advice given were most important. We would have never discovered a certain restaurant on our own that we ate all our meals at, it was that great. And so quiet. And only 2-3 rooms are let at any one time. No, not fancy or very roomy. But staying here gave us the feeling of staying in a normal person’s home, but with the all important ‘comfort’ amentities thrown in. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

this is one of my favourite places to stay in Tangiers - it is in the medina yet still central and easy to get to. Being just around the corner from the Petit socco is perfect! Aside from its location, it is quite simply a lovely and comfortable place to stay - the decor and design is both beautiful and comfortable with an attention to detail that raises it above the norm, while still being reasonably priced. a great oasis in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the Tangiers medina!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I brought my parents to Dar 23 on their first visit to Morocco, for their 41st wedding anniversary. Peter and Mohammed went out of their way to make it a wonderful experience, including shepherding Dad to get a SIM card and recommending good restaurants to eat at. The rooms are just as pretty as the pictures show, and the view from the roof over the strait to Spain is lovely. We couldn't have been happier with everything. I don't know why Dar 23 is 3rd on the B&B list - it deserves to be first!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Dar 23 has the best location, in the middle of the Madinat, by Petit Socco, walk out of the alley way, within one minute, there are tons of restaurants, food venders, bakeries, juice bar, shops, grocery stores....

The key is the owner Peter. Peter keeps the place impeccable, it's very clean, neat and beautiful. I love every piece of the furniture and decoration here.

You don't need to do any research about Tangier, Peter knows it all. He is very helpful, resourceful, friendly, attentive, and love to share.

We had Peter hired a tour guide for us the first day. Next day, I told him what I want to see, he drew a map, we just walked around town with it and had fun!

Yummy breakfast is included. Don't forget to try the dinner he cooks. We had one of the best veggie salads and chicken dishes we've ever have! (See photo.)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple