Dar JAND
US$61
Kenzi Solazur(Tangier)
US$60
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrooftop terracehomemade sconeshistorical tourgreat recommendationshouse is beautifulwalking tourenjoyable staywarm hospitalitylocal culturegreat guidebed and breakfastvisit tangiermoroccan breakfastold cityjanetabdullahdar
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Dar Jand was an amazing find quite by accident...a recommendation by a passenger on the ferry. A great location, beautifully decorated, clean and magical with a breathtaking view of the city from the roof top. All the rooms have a Moroccan theme and Janet's attention to detail is perfection. Andrew is the perfect host and tour guide...and breakfast was healthy and filling.

Room Tip: The Blue Room on the third floor is magical! All the rooms were great but this room had a little sitting area and easy access to the rooftop for tea and sunset.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Dar Jand is the coziest, most welcoming home I've ever been to in Morocco. Janet and Andrew are simply the best hosts and their home is absolutely wonderful! I can't recommend Dar Jand enough! If you stay, ask Andrew for a small tour around the Medina and soak in some of his vast knowledge of Tangier (and so much else)!

I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed my short stay at Dar Jand, but I suggest you go and experience it for yourself and create your own lovely memories!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed at the Dar Jand after a forced diversion due to lost luggage and I count the misfortune as a blessing because we got to stay with Andrew and Janet.

No description of the great warmth of the two hosts, Andrew and Janet, could ever be considered hyperbole - they are simply among the most amicable, friendly and caring people around.

After my girlfriend had her luggage lost, Andrew spent hours accompanying us to the many souks to find her new clothes. Furthermore, even after our ordeal he went out of his way several more times to help us navigate the complex series of narrow streets that make up the medina of Tangier. He also showed us wonderful restaurants and interesting shops away from the main tourist drag. However, Andrew did not just lead us around, he was resourceful in helping us identify waypoints so that we could eventually get around ourselves. Janet too was incredibly caring and a fascinating person to talk to. She was funny, she was a good listener and she had all sorts of advice for dealing with Moroccan culture. Janet made sure to help us arrange travel throughout Tangier and counseled us in booking further travel throughout Morocco.

Additionally, the couple was a staple of the community. They seemed to know everyone in the Medina and on our walks many shopkeepers, fruit vendors and restaurant owners spoke with them. The Moroccans we met were equally as enamored with their kindness as we were. This is not typical of all foreigners in Morocco.

The house itself is inviting and charming: it is incredibly clean and ornately decorated in many bright colors and intricate patterns. Each room is lavishly adorned with Moroccan-style furniture, North African artwork, brass light fixtures, Berber blankets and comfortable mattresses (NOT COMMON in North Africa!). Quite simply, the rooms are cozy, warm and welcoming. The location is exceptional as it is nestled in the heart of the Medina very close to the Soccos. Most everything is within walking distance. And, importantly, the rooftop view is gorgeous and absolutely fascinating. You can see Gibraltar on a clear day.

The breakfast was great too as Janet is an accomplished baker and they spare no expense in preparing a great meal.

The complexities of Moroccan culture and the maze of the Medina can be too much for some people to navigate comfortably. Even though my girlfriend had been to Morocco twice before and I have lived in Egypt, we still needed a little help now and then. Janet and Andrew are tremendous portals to understanding how to navigate Tangier because they were patient and willing to spend enormous amounts of their time helping you find your way. If it were up to me, I would have copies of Andrew and Janet in every country I visit.

When in Tangier, STAY HERE

Room Tip: Take the top room at extra expense
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GozerTraveler
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Our stay at Dar JAND helped make our visit to Tangier a special experience. We started with an orientation tour by Andrew so he could make sure our laundry was done, shoes fixed, and that we could find our way home on our own. Andrew has an interesting method of navigating the lanes and alleys by landmarks. Everything worked very well and we found our way back to Dar JAND after each excursion. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. Janet's welcoming tea on the roof terrace was stunning. We took a walking tour with Abdellah, as suggested by Janet and Andrew. Abdellah gave us a view of Tangier that enriched our visit immensely. There are numerous reasons to stay several days, but a big one is the opportunity to walk with Abdellah. In fact, everything about our stay at Dar JAND enriched our stay. We recommend a visit to Janet and Andrew to anyone traveling in Tangier. Arrange your stay by email. Our transport to and from their B&B and our time with Abdellah was set up by email before we arrived.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at Dar JAND for two days during a brief trip from Spain to Tangier, and I left the city wishing I had considered a longer stay at this lovely nest! From the moment I set foot in Morocco to the minute I left, Janet and Andrew assured I had a relaxing and memorable experience. I arrived via ferry from Tarifa, Spain and Andrew greeted me at the port and walked me to Dar JAND. He insisted on helping with my luggage and wheeled it up the path to the hotel, providing a quick lesson on key cultural facts and points of interest along the way. I met Janet at the Dar JAND, and while I settled into my beautiful room (I stayed in the Berber Hmar room), Janet prepared Moroccan tea and cookies which she served to me on the rooftop terrace.

I wanted to see a few points of interest in the city on my first day and make my way outside the city to Cap Spartel and the novelty camel-riding experience on the second day. As I don't speak Arabic and was traveling alone, I was concerned about my ability to maximize my time and safety on the trip. Janet and Andrew suggested two tour guides, one for a walking tour in the city on day one, and the other who would be able to drive me to points of interest outside the city (and ultimately to the airport) the next day. They arranged the tours and coordinated with the guides so all I had to do is relax and enjoy.

On the first day, Abdellah (who speaks English, among several languages) guided me to every place of interest I had identified, and several others that I would have never know to look for if I were to venture out on my own - such as Cafe Hafa, where I had Moroccan mint tea as I watched the sea from their terraced outdoor seating. He explained cultural norms and nuggets of history, and answered my many questions that made for a richer experience and understanding of this wonderful city. A true local, he navigated the twisting alleys with ease, punctuated with greetings from residents along the way. When he is not giving tours, he is a musician in a traditional Moroccan band so he explained that many local people know him from that work.

On the second day, I shared in a delicious breakfast that Janet and Andrew served on the terrace and met the other Dar JAND guests. The morning in Tangier is magical. The muezzins of the local mosques serenade the neighborhood with the morning azan. From the rooftop terrace, the layered landscape of the Medina's stacked buildings provide a glimpse into life in Tangier, and Andrew provided further insight into the daily life of the local population. I bid farewell to Janet and Andrew, and Farouq, the second tour guide, drove me to Cap Spartel, Hercules Grotto, and a camel-riding experience outside the city before taking me to the airport.

Highly recommend is an understatement! If you are in or traveling to Southern Spain and toying with the idea of an excursion in Tangier, go for it, and be sure to book a stay with Janet and Andrew at Dar JAND - there are too many wonderful things in Tangier to cram it all into a day trip, especially when such lovely hosts will make the experience unforgettable!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo