“u can tell it's Morocco”

Movenpick Hotel & Casino Malabata Tanger
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Tangier
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Room is great but I've got not so nice view to the ocean. Staff is great and extremely polite. Service at the restaurant is not so prompt and if u order more than one dish be sure that they will forget it. Be avare that they speek either only franch or spanish beside arabic of course. They don't know much about original local things - for example I was looking for original moroccan massage and they wanted to send me to wellness western hotels :-/
Weird thing about taxis I found out driving to old city part Medina. He will stop on the road and without asking your permission take few more passengers.
U can change money in the hotel,the rate is better than in exchange office in the city.
Room service is fast and the lady in the lobby shop Wth watches and perfumes is really nice.
And one more thing -there's no tea/coffee in the rooms. As I'm tea addict its a issue for me that matters.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 February 2012

I am always cautious about giving a negative review when I visit an area for the first time, as you are never sure where the "baseline" is for hotels, but I left the Movenpick feeling a little flat. I don't mind staying in expensive hotels, and I don't mind staying in cheap and cheerful hotels, but I do mind expensive cheap and cheerful hotels. Tangiers is a very cheap place, but the Movenpick was fairly pricy (especially the food - you can eat for about a quarter the price at nearby restaurants), but it had the feel of a much cheaper hotel. Furnishings were comfortable but sparse. When I took a shower, my head bumped the roof and the nozzle went no higher than my chest. I just expected better for the price.

Internet service is both very expensive (8 Euro for an hour) and cumbersome (you have to use your entire hour in one go - you cannot use it when you need it).

On the plus side, it is clean and felt very safe, and the staff are very friendly. Like many places in Tangier, the English spoken was not great, but certainly OK to get by on. The hotel is a little bit out of town, about a 2 mile walk to the Medina/port area (pleasant walk though).

Don't want to judge too harshly, but if I go back to Tangier I will probably try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side of the hotel face (indirectly) the Mosque, so you can usually hear the mornin...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rhone_Man
Reviewed 8 January 2012

In Tangier on business. Hotel is ok. Room is nice, bed is comfortable. Food is good but very expensive. They also have a good gym and great view of bay and city. Staff is very friendly.

Issues:

-Complex process to access internet. Should be seamless, instead is clunky.
-Shower is built for people under 4'10". I almost broke my neck trying to use it.
-Bathroom had no toilet paper when I arrived. This made for an awkward experience. This is a first for me worldwide. Hotel went from 4 to 3 stars due to this alone.
-Maddening air con/ heat system in room. I had to open all windows to cool the room off. Unbearable.

Room Tip: Pick rooms that have toilet paper.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We did not stay at the hotel but went to the casino for the evening while in Tangier. They have slots and video roulette on the first floor, live tables, more slots and a buffet on the second floor, and the top floor has a sit-down restaurant and lounge area. We ate at the restaurant- the food and service were good. The slots and tables were standard European/American style, with Black Jack, 3Card Poker, live roulette, and Ultimate Texas Hold 'Em. They also have full bar service and there was live music the night we were there. We were pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: See other reviews for room info. I only saw the casino.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed there for a couple of days during July. The building is a nice and so are the employees. There show a lot of respect and they seem to be really friendly all the time. Especially the "low" staff (like i.E the guys who clean the toilettes) did a really good job. Some of them speak not so good english but I think thats OK since they all can speak very fluent french,arabic and spanish. The "upper " staff nows english and all the others they now a few words basically.

Food was excellent. The restaurant is good and so is the buffet within the casino. The room service is OK. However I would definitely not eat the pizza there. The bugers where great, noodels are too but I did not like their pizzas. Tanjine however , the most famous thing in maroccan cuisine, was great. I could eat that all the time. Also the locals in the casino told me that the Tanjine in the hotel is a good one.

The pool was really big. There is a small indoor part and a huge outdoor. The beach is really close but there is no direct connection. You can see the beach and its just in front of the hotel but there is a wall between. But trust me you do not want to swim there I would stick to the pool.

The rooms where good as well. You never need to wait for elevators since there are 3 of them. The room is nice and the balcony has a nice view on the shore.

Oh and and I forgot they are making a new part of the hotel where there will be a modern bar. This could be a great thing since there is not so much you can do at nights in Tanger(well besides cinqo cinqo cinqo ;) )

If I come again to Tanger this is the hotel I want to stay in. A few lacks but overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The hotel is ok for that categorie, but nothing special. We stayed in nicer, cheaper Moevenpicks in Jordan. Price for food in the restaurant was also ok for the kind of hotel, but the next day we saw that there are also very nice restaurants on the beach in Tanger with good view and much cheaper. I think the name of one of it was Panoramic. Tanger is nicer than expected.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank xonthebeach
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The common areas, lobbies, and lobby bar all look grand, clean and inviting. However, once on our floor and shown our room....DISGUSTING!! The room's decor is some type of 1970 bamboo/wicker, the dresser and wardrobe (with only a few hangers, requested more, never received) are all on wheels, the head board of the bed are all wicker with two tacky plastic vinyl covered back pads hanging from it, the paint on the walls in the bathroom are all scuffed and dirty, the shower head is hung incredibly low (I am 5'4 and had to duck slightly, my husband is 6'1), the in room crib we had asked for had stains on the mesh on the sides, and stained linens (the baby slept in the bed with us), the airconditioning feels more like a fan, it was cooler when we slept with the balcony door open, and the tiled floors left my feet black. I mean it was not to be believed- at a "5-Star Hotel"?!! Went to the breakfast buffet- the cheeses are left out and sweating, as are the meats, fruits looked unappetizing- and the prices are insane. DID NOT EAT HERE.
We used the parking lot, and on one of our last days the attendant did not let us in and said there were no parking spots left. I had a sleeping infant on my shoulder, baby bags, shopping, etc. and I could see in plain sight four or five parking spots. It was an attendant we hadnt seen all week and hadnt been appropiately bribed/tipped in order to be courteous or even just do his job.
Oh- and to top it off- most of the week we were there, they were refinishing and painting the wood around the pool patio and the toxic fumes wafted up to our room. AWFUL!
The morning of our check out- they came up to our room, while we were still packing up and went thru the room and minifridge to calculate any costs on missing items, completely gauche!
There is NOOOO WAY this hotel is even a true four star. Have been to many 4 star hotels that were immaculate and modern and felt more luxurious, and for the price that the Movenpick charges?!!!
6 months after my trip I am still angered when I think of my stay here; the service, the lack of cleanliness and the exorbitant costs- OUTRAGEOUS! Next time I will go to Le Mirage further up Caps Spartel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family