Movenpick Hotel & Casino Malabata Tanger
US$77
US$212
US$105
Very Good 4/5
Mnar Castle Hotel Apartments(Tangier)
US$123
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
US$31
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsnice hotelgreat poolcomfortable roomfive star hotelsea viewtaxiswimmingpoolconciergeramadancasablancaspainmedina
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Money talks in this hotel.

As a five star I was expecting more in terms of standards and especially service. Service was a huge let down. From ignnorance to plain rudeness. The only way to ensure exemplary service is to tip generously IN ADVANCE. If you ask staff with a generous Tip to 'look after you' they surely will.

Restaurant
Breakfast Restaurant staff are the politest, friendliest it seems in whole hotel with professional attitude to their work and responsibilities. They greet you with a smile, recall your needs and habits and are very efficient in meeting them. Food is tasty, varied and plentiful. Buffet breakfast is unrivalled. Reda gave us excellent service daily. Polite, friendly young man and his older colleague was also very professional and accommodating,

Pool Bar
BEWARE pool bar staff, we found them overcharging multiple customers regularly, adding other customer items to ones bill. Getting food orders wrong and expecting one to pay for their mistakes is also pretty routine. Generally rude staff, poor service and complete lack of five star training. They appear to have little to no customer service skills. I strongly urge management to arrange training and most importantly discipline. Staff found to be 'stealing' from customers should be fired on the spot. This is NOT acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. Rude staff should be removed for training.

Room Service
Room service was variable but significantly improved with the tip in advance incentive. You may find issues with towels, loo roll, sanitary bags, bin bags and generally not getting a room service at all. With a tip however, you are guaranteed grand attentive service.

Guests
Some guests are VERY inconsiderate and will play music, slam doors and chat outside rooms at all hours of the night and early morning. Ie 3-5am.

TV and WIFI
WIFI is poor and is not free. Comes and goes or is non existent when paid for.
TV channels also come and go. Do not rely on either basically.

Pool
Lovely pool. Cold water but clean. No pool accessories such as slides for kids.

Beach
Considered a no go by most guests due to being a public beach and populated by many male youths, quad bikes and so on. Not particularly clean. Not a five star beach. We didn't use it once. Very disappointing. Tetaun has a very nice beach ( busy) with water sports about an hours drive away, maybe more.

Hotel cleanliness
It is very clean.

Rooms
We changed rooms three times as we didn't get what we originally booked which was two adjoining rooms as we have young children. In none of the rooms could we run a bath without shower coming on simultaneously and vice versa. Poor flow of water.

Toilets had a throw back fault. After flushing, a short while later the water would become discoloured as remnants seem to have been returned. This wasn't at all pleasant. Seemed to be a fault with floor four perhaps as oppose to all floors?

Entertainment
Belly dancer and singer who perform what appears to be the same routine nightly re evening meal.

Cars
Be sure to check mileage and fuel levels after use if you leave your car keys with hotel staff.

Tangier Driving
Never encountered anything like it. Pedestrians will literally walk in front of cars, between cars constantly. Be prepared for the unexpected. Lots of persistent beggars who approach you whether you are on foot or in your car. They tap the window. Be aware that if you do give them anything, they often then ask for more, and more. Avoid eye contact and conversation and keep moving. The good news here is you do get into trouble the locals will step in and help you. It's quite refreshing in this regard. We had locals assist us on a number of occassions. They appear to be very charitable people. They want to ensure tourists have a good impression and are not troubled. Cars drive insanely, lots of horns beeping. Not for the faint hearted.

Taxis are small, often damaged.

Beware in all cases of being overcharged for food, drinks, transport.

SUGGESTIONS for management
Reduce five star rating to three star.
TRAIN STAFF in customer service skills and remove this trend of customers having to pay for an expected level of service.
Educate staff that women should be treated as courteously as they treat the men.
Take action re pool bar staff. This area is particularly poor.
BUY more towels, restaurant cutlery, glasses.
FIX plumbing on floor four.
Ensure consistent levels of service in all departments. Set a standard for staff to meet and ensure they meet it.

Would I stay here again. NO

Room Tip: Money Talks.
3  Thank Leah C
Joon S, Directeur général at Movenpick Hotel & Casino Malabata Tanger, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2014

Thank you very much for having chosen our hotel and for having taken the time to fill out our on-line questionnaire.

Dear Guest,

I’m very sorry to learn that we have failed to give you complete satisfaction and I would like to express all my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your visit.

I greatly value your comments and please rest assured that I shall bring your remarks to the concerned departments.

I would like to again thank you very much and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mövenpick Hotel & Casino Malabata, I remain.

Sincerely yours.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just got back from spending 2 nights/3 days at the Movenpick Hotel in Tangier. I choose this hotel as I was skeptical about beaning in Tangier and wanted a brand name hotel that I could count on. Whilst the facilities are not bad the service and accommodations are definitely not 5 star as they claim they are.

On arrival, (having booked 2 rooms) neither room had bath towels and I had to call three times to have them brought to us. When eventually they never arrived I went to find housekeeping so I could ask for some, not somehitng that would happen at a 5 star.

One of the resons I booked this hotel was because of the pool area. A great pool with restaurant, but no pool towels!!! On all three occassions we were not able to get pool towels. Again went to hunt down the housekeepers to find some, and was told I could not use them for the pool!!! So I went to the health club, they had not towels. So how are guests expected to use the pool if there are no towels!!!!

Lastly, on our last evening after touring the city all day we were exhausted and chose to eat in the hotel!!! We decided on going to the Nixe Bar (bad choice) we were the only ones in there and the service could not have been worse. Food was tasteless and we ended up leaving after ordering the dessert and it never arriving!!!!

A great location in a great city with great facilities. As a Swiss Chain I would have expected much much more.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the lifts.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen our hotel and for having taken the time to write your remarks.

I’m very sorry to learn that we have failed to give you complete satisfaction and I would like to express all my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your visit with internet.

Please rest assured that I shall bring your remark to the concerned department.

Best regards.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Thank you very much for the wonderfull stay I enjoyed in your proporty.
The service is excellent, the staff is professional and the location is very nice.
I dont want to forget the food that i really enjoyed.

Asmaa &family

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I reserved 4 rooms in total via Expedia and Booking.com. We booked well in advance and all Our rooms were confirmed. Upon checking in were we informed that our rooms were not available, no explanation given. U would expect when making a booking that your booking would be fulfilled. My group consisted of 11 people including children and my elderly mother. The hotel said they had made arrangements for us to move to another hotel near by. We were reluctant to go but in order to salvage our holiday we agreed to go. We later found out that a Saudi prince had booked 2 floors, the hotel favoured the prince instead of my family who had been looking forward to their short stay at the hotel. The hotel said we cld use their facilities which I did. I spent a day in the pool area. Very overcrowded, several groups of teenagers playing music from they're beat boxes which meant there were 3 different songs playing at the same time. Due to the way my family and I were treated I can't see myself or any members of my family booking at this hotel again. I understand that the hotel would have made a considerable amount of money from the Princes stay however I think they should have compensated us for the inconvenience.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank 1LoveWestLondon
Joon S, Directeur général at Movenpick Hotel & Casino Malabata Tanger, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,

I hope that you will give us an other chance and looking forward to welcoming you again, I remain with,

Best regards.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The overall first impression is of a very nice hotel however I would not recommend staying here if you are on a business trip. The WiFi does not work, both myself and 2 colleagues were unable to get WiFi in any of our rooms. We informed reception many times and they just gave us new WiFi codes which made no difference, they then said they would send the IT manager who never came and the internet never improved so we changed hotel after two nights. While checking in, I made a point of requesting a quiet room. I then clarified once receiving my room number that this room is quiet and i was told it was. It was directly over the lobby at the end of the corridor and i could almost here the conversations in the lobby,which is noisy from 8 in the morning until 3 am.The walls must be like cardboard because i can hear everything outside in the corridor so cannot sleep well at all. I requested to change room but was told no room available also my colleagues room is noisy too.

Dont expect to find English speakers, I called room service twice requesting an English menu and was told yes they would send one, but after an hour still nothing, so I then called reception and requested one, soon after I had a knock on my door and a lady literally barged into my room shouting in french and marched straight through my room and then just turned around and walked out.. I still don't know what she was saying or what was the purpose of her walking through my room , but obviously gathered there is no English menu, but it would have been nice if they had just told me that on the phone as I found her rather intrusive and loud...My colleagues AC and fridge did not work. The only positive is that the pool area is beautiful and would be great for families also the gym was well equipped. I still would not return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank virgoci

Dear Sir,

I’m very distressed to learn that we have failed to give you complete satisfaction and I would like to express all my apologies for the inconveniences caused to your during your visit.

I consider your comments as a very valuable document, which helps us to improve our services and, of course, quality of products. We have treated your comments accordingly with the areas and the personnel involved and have done the necessary corrections.

Thank you for giving us another chance in order to prove to you that we are perfectly able to satisfy the demand and to exceed the expectations of our valuable guests when they come to our product.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future, I remain,

Yours sincerely,