Hotel Slipway
US$122
US$119
Harbour View Suites(Dar es Salaam)
US$180
US$123
  • Breakfast included
Sea Cliff Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
US$360
US$181
US$237
US$224
Tanzanite Executive Suites(Dar es Salaam)
US$268
US$95
  • Breakfast included
US$123
US$114
Agoda.com
New Africa Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
US$179
US$127
US$161
US$132
Agoda.com
Tiffany Diamond Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
US$99
US$75
US$241
TripAdvisor
  • Spa
All reviewswaterfront restaurantbongoyo islandsouvenir shopsnew sectionshopping complexhotel areabusiness tripno lifttravel agentrooms are basicsea viewthe hotel managersmall rooma wonderful stayindian oceanbusiness travelernice pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed two nights at Slipway which is part of a shopping centre and overlooking Oyster Bay. We were well served at arrival. Our rooms at 2nd floor (above the reception ) were very nice and up to European standards. Most of the rooms had beautiful view of the bay with anchored boats. The breakfast was reasonable; the waiters seemed to be rather forgetful regarding our orders. I had some clothes washed but one piece was not mine and it could not be corrected before we left. The ordered shuttle service functioned well. The surroundings were good if you wanted to look at souvenirs and minor necessities. A sea-side restaurant among others was situated just below the hotel - nice to sit in the afternoon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the sea
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank POlsen
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I came to the hotel right after my 83yr old mother broke her arm. I was very upset, trying to get an early flight home, and the staff were sooooo amazingly kind. They helped her up the stairs, and in an out of chairs. The receptionist helped me make phone calls to travel agents. It was the perfect place to stay after an emergency because there was a grocery store right below, and different shops within the complex. The room was elegant, and we had a view of the ocean, which was comforting. We only stayed one night, but I will never forget the staff's compassion.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Keira4
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I stayed whilst teaching at Muhimbili for two weeks. The staff were really friendly and even arranged some trips for us(Thank you Sultan and Dixon). Efficient pick up from the airport ( as recent concerns about un-registered taxis). As I was on my own some of the time it was not an intimidating environment and there are nice places to eat out in the evening. Its also by the sea which is lovely and near the boat you can take to Bongomoyo island( a great treat)Plus near supermarket and ATM. Traffic into town OK as long as you leave early in both directions!

Room Tip: as for sea view
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2010

It was my first time to travel to Tanzania to attend a conference and I have been checking out hotels in Tanzania accommodations, pictures and prices. Slipway has the most affordable rate for me with very friendly staff. They respond to emails very fast and has reliable taxi company associates.
It has cafe and restaurants around, a grocery store, kiosk selling various beautiful items at very reasonable prizes (cheaper than the bazaar we went into in Bagamoyo) and most especially a dollar exchange shop and barkley bank just in the same building.
Only thing, the singing from the restaurant could be heard inside the room so it was noisy but we were very tired we never noticed when the party has ended.

Over all rate: Very happy. When I come back to Tanzania, I would still like to stay here. Love it!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank PinkAsher
Reviewed 14 December 2010

This is not the most elegant place in Dar; there's no pool, room service or business center. That said, after one week at Coral Beach down the road, I was antsy for a change and some more choices for food, so I switched to Slipway and it was a good decision.

There are a few different kinds of rooms. The "studios" over Barclays bank are a bit shabby and look like they are stuck in the 70's. They have a full kitchen, so they would be nice if you were there for a very extended period, but otherwise I found them dismal so I switched. There are rooms above the shops that I did not see-- these are the ones that people have complained about with concerns about safety because they are kind of in the middle of everything-- I didn't see inside these rooms.

Then there are the rooms in the newly constructed part (that you enter through the lobby) that I stayed in. The rooms were very new, and the staff was still working out some kinks like breakfast catering (they were waiting on furniture) and internet (they were waiting for the company to come install it).

The rooms were clean and simple, the mattress firm and comfortable. The AC worked well. The TV has several good channels. Each room has a large mini fridge that is empty-- you can stock up on supplies at the supermarket downstairs (way cheaper than a minibar at other hotels). The rooms on the parking lot side have a microwave and kitchen sink, the rooms on the water side just have the fridge and an electric kettle.

My laundry came back in a few hours neatly pressed-- the prices were so cheap that I went home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. Ava (Eva?), the housekeeper for my floor was lovely. She didn't speak much English and I speak no kiswahili, but she was so sweet and attentive.

The location is what makes the place-- there are several restaurants, shops, a great bookstore, a bank, a supermarket, and a craft market (by the water on the far side of the parking lot). There is also a ferry to a nearby island with a beach and snorkeling.

While the internet was not up and running while I was there, I picked up a vodacom usb modem at the nearby vodacom shop and was able to easily access internet anywhere. Definitely worth the investment so I had internet anywhere.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business