“Great value for money”
Review of Hotel Slipway

Hotel Slipway
Ranked #15 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This was my ninth or tenth time to Dar es Salaam and I usually go for safe bet business hotels in the upper range since the city is not known for outstanding hospitality. The only problems with this sort of hotels is the fact that they are generic and expensive.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine had told me about a place I did not even know existed: Hotel Slipway. It seems it has re-opened rather recently under a new management. The rates looked very interesting so I gave it a try.

The hotel is located on a Peninsula, about 10km from 'Bongo' down town. While the surroundings have a bit of an industrial feel (there seems to be sort of a boat yard that could do with a facelift) the hotel itself is nicely set close to the ocean and offers great sunset views (there actually is a very decent restaurant right by the sea; at high tide you can wet your toes in the water over a really nice meal).

The hotel's amenities are not five-star, but everything works and staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are a bit small but this is compensated by the fact that you can step out and find yourself in a busy public space with shops, banks, a hairdresser, plenty of souvenir shops and a couple of restaurants. The place is distinctly different from the business hotels I used to frequent - and certainly more African. On Sundays there is an invasion of people from all walks of life all coming for that very special sunset and for a popular kids' playground. It gives the area a feel of carnival and it can become a bit noisy in the early evening hours. The flip side is a truly interesting kaleidoscope of people all having a great time out, and if you happen to be there you better join the crowd.

All in all I was very pleased with the experience, certainly as far as value for money goes. As I was checking out I overheard the receptionist tell several arriving guests: 'Sorry, we are fully booked', so they must be doing something right. I recommend Hotel Slipway and I will certainly be back.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I realize that there are not that many good hotel choices in Dar and I guess this is why people put up with The Slipway, which my witty British colleague dubbed “The Slipshod.” Where to begin? I booked transport from the airport to the hotel through The Slipway and upon arrival there was no one there to pick me up. As a woman alone traveling on business arriving in Dar after 9 pm, I was left to improvise my own arrangements at the airport, and no apology or explanation was ever offered by the the hotel. When I finally got to the hotel at about 10, the woman at the reception desk asked that I pay my entire two-week stay in full before I even saw the room. When I said that I travel frequently and that this was highly irregular, she backed down. Nice welcome to Dar from the hotel!

The internet at the Slipway (accessed through an old cable in the room that kept slipping out of my laptop; there is no wireless), which the manager brags is free, only works about half the time (but it’s free!). The mini-fridge in my room stopped working for a few days and I assumed it was broken. When I eventually pulled the fridge away from the wall, I saw that it had been unplugged by the staff during the week. I guess the staff thought I didn’t deserve to have the fridge on, in spite of the fact that I had bottles of water and yogurt in it.

Another morning I awoke to find no running water for showering or brushing my teeth. I called the reception desk several times to ask for a bucket of water for bathing. The staff seemed baffled as to why I would want one and instead finally sent up two 1.5-liter bottles of drinking water sans bucket. Again, no apology or compensation was provided to guests.

At the end of my two-week stay, I went to Zanzibar for four days. Before leaving I booked a room for the last evening I would spend in Dar before my flight out. I was given the same rate that I had paid during my stay. When I came back from Zanzibar, I was informed that the person who booked my room should not have given me the two-week rate and that since I had left the hotel for four days, I would have to pay the same rate as if I had just arrived. When I asked to speak to the manager, he smirked and said rules are rules, no exceptions: I would have to pay the higher rate no matter what his staff told me, and that if I didn’t like it I was free to leave. I explained that I would be coming back to Tanzania for the next four years for a project and it didn’t seem to make good business sense to alienate a customer over a small amount of money. But evidently $15 was worth more to this small-minded manager than admitting his staff had been wrong or being gracious to a guest who had just spent almost $2,000 at his establishment.

I have traveled extensively in Africa on business over the past four years, but the arrogance and high-handedness of “The Slipshod” is truly exceptional. I will not be returning to this hotel and neither will my colleagues.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the sea can be loud.
4  Thank jcmauburkina
Reviewed 28 November 2011

A warm reception and comfortable rooms but
the manager is absent or untrained.
The pleasant dining waiter needs a uniform! instead of a dirty shirt.
Our in-rooom tea/coffee station wasn't complete for the 2 nights we stayed...no sugar
or no coffee.
Our friends next door had another guest entering their room with a computerized card!?
Management needs waking up.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I arrived at Dar es Salaam Airport on a hot and steamy afternoon. Getting out of the arrival hall was challenging and somewhat tiring. What a refreshing experience it was, after an hour's taxi ride in heavy traffic, to eventually arrive at Hotel Slipway!

Entering the small but stylish reception hall I was greeted by friendly faces who immediately made me feel at home. My room (54 on the top floor) had a small balcony overlooking the ocean. The room was not super spacious but clean and had everything I needed (internet, sports & news channels, a functioning A/C and a small fridge).

The really good news comes when one steps out of the hotel. The Slipway is a lively compound offering all kinds of amenities from banks to souvenir shops. I particularly liked the book shop on the ground floor. And, of course, the Waterfront restaurant which must have one of the most stunning views for any restaurant on this planet.

I spent 4 days at the Slipway and enjoyed them thoroughly. The whole atmosphere is warm and friendly, the hotel's staff are always there to help. When I took the taxi back to the airport I knew that I had just left an oasis. I shall sure be back.

2  Thank 134zurich
Reviewed 24 October 2011

My room was usd130/night, payable in advance. Overlooked a quiet open area and on to the ocean.. a comfy room and with all facilities nearby. The whole area has character, space, friendliness, colour and a short pier for a sunset walk. Dar is hot and humid so western comforts, and a sea breeze by the waterfront bar, are appreciated.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank aeoliansands
Reviewed 25 September 2011

The Slipway is a convenient, reasonably priced accommodation, the rooms are comfortable and clean and the AC and hot water actually work with restaurants and coffee shops within the complex as well as numerous shops selling collectibles and keepsakes, a safe and reliable option when traveling through Dar on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jonathan M
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We had been to Dar es Salaam a week before while my husband was on a business trip and stayed at another hotel. Needless to say, even though the other hotel had a pool, it did not offer anything else that my children were interested in. The Slipway had comfortable rooms, and there were lots of things on site and nearby that I could do to keep my children busy while we were there - a playground, restaurants, bank, travel agency, bookstore, grocery store, and the kiosk markets (both there and down the road). We went for a walk every morning to see what the fishermen and women caught. One day, we took the ferry to Bongoyo Island and stayed all day to play on the beach!

The staff was wonderful! Our room was cleaned every day. Every time I needed laundry done, it came back within 3 hours (plus it was cheaper than all of the other places we had stayed in!)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family