“Good and convinient”
Review of Hotel Slipway

Hotel Slipway
Ranked #14 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed one night upon arriving from Zanzibar and before taking the TAZARA train to Kapiri Mposhi, Zambia. We found the hotel and staff very pleasant and easy to deal with. Good and attentive staff at the reception, helped us with taxi etc. Internet worked fine and breakfast was to our full satisfaction. It is worth to notice the hotel was going trough some light renovations at our visit, the main entrance was closed and we used a side entrance. However this did not affect our stay, we were not disturbed by it. The room was very clean but not overly spacious. In the very complex around the hotel you find a supermarket, money changer, restaurants and several shops mostly selling local handicrafts. If you dont need to be close to city center i would certainly reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Erik F

Reviewed 9 May 2014

The Slipway was our destination for the final night of our trip to Zanzibar, which owing to flight departure times required an overnight stay in Dar. I hadn't quite realised the distance from the airport, or how horrendous the traffic would be, but this certainly isn't the fault of Slipway.

However, having sat in traffic for the best part of two hours (yes - really!!), the mood on arrival wasn't great! The attitude of the staff at check-in was surly, for want of a better word, and although the process was fairly painless, it didn't spark a great excitement for being in their company, or lift our mood. Some key low-lights:

Room was really small - and VERY dated throughout! En-suite also quite grubby.
No room service (you can't even order a drink from one of the nearby restaurants as the hotel has no bar! It seems they have no "agreements" with any of the eateries?)
Our air-conditioner froze up during the night, and then started making "cracking" noises in the middle of the night, and had leaked everywhere. This was in the second room of our one night stay, as the first looked straight out into a wall - and that air-con didn't work.
Switched on the shower only to realise that the head wasn't tight, so the entire bathroom was soaked; you then had to hold the shower head to keep it still, or turn the pressure down to a dribble.
No tea or coffee in the rooms, which when you have a 5am departure is essential; strangely there was a kettle and cups though!
When we asked if they would pack us a breakfast as we had a really early departure, the response was that they can only do that with 48hours notice (this said, despite them knowing for over a month before our arrival that we were departing at 0500hrs!)

I'm not sure what you have to do to get a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence; whatever it is, I didn't see the evidence of it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Benj0118
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel has many assets: the rooms are spacious and clean (and several have a beautiful sea view); the service is friendly; the price is reasonable. Though located far from the business center of Dar es Salaam, it is close to the sea, to a shopping center, and to some practical eateries. The internet functions well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank adgent
Reviewed 8 April 2014

based on Mafia Island, i have stayed at the slipway several times when on business in Dar.

The slipway is extremely well located and excellent for some urgent retail therapy especially when you've been holed up on an island for 6 months!

The staff are really friendly and always have a smile on their face which is really pleasant.

Recently the breakfast has moved and has improved by leaps and bounds! The croissants are some of the best i have tasted outside of France - I was really pleasantly surprised! Although we didn't get to use the pool it was really a nice to know that it was available to us and when we had a look, it is in a great location.

Although I feel slipway has improved greatly I still feel that the price (which has been increased) is still a little high for what you receive. There are quite similar accommodations nearby which are half the price.

All in all, was quite impressed. the location is great and we had a really nice view from our room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Danii K
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed at Hotel Slipway for 2 nights for work meetings and had a very enjoyable experience. My room was small but clean and nice. Air con worked great as did wifi and plenty of hot water in the shower. I had a nice view of the bay from my window and the breakfast buffet was fantastic. The staff was friendly and helpful but didn't seem to have a lot of information about things to do in the area. Just at the end of the walkway there is a dock where a boat leaves for Bongoyo Island a few times a day--this was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The shops are touristy and a bit expensive but convenient if you just need to grab a small gift for someone back home. I had dinner at the Waterfront restaurant and at Hotel Slipway's restaurant and although I enjoyed both, I was impressed with the uniqueness of the meal I had at Hotel Slipway. On my last day my flight didn't leave Dar until midnight so I tried to book my room for day use, but the hotel was fully booked that day. The staff was happy to hold my bag and let me use the pool in the afternoon after my meetings. There are nice pool showers as well. If you stay here my biggest suggestion would be to try to get out and see some of the real Dar.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Stephanie L
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The place is pleasant, located within a shopping mall, clean rooms and prices are affordable. There's a waterfront restaurant next door, great place to sit out and enjoy the beach view. They serve great seafoods too.

Room Tip: rooms on the mall side are exposed to strong wind and rain water could enter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Hector J
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Slipway hotel is a lovely place to stay. The rooms have air conditioning, the views of the sunset and harbour are lovely and the staff are generally helpful and efficient. I chose this hotel because of it's location in Dar and also from the reviews on this website. A few things I found disappointing were; the shower didn't have hot water until the morning after I'd checked in, the tv reception was terrible and the wi-fi didn't connect. I was too tired to point this out to the receptionist and crashed early. The next morning breakfast was served in what can only be described as a building site. Workmen hammering and drilling and the food and serving staff looked like you'd asked them to sell their children when asking for the sausages and beans to be topped up! Overall the hotel is clean, pleasant and has lovely views but it does need to scrub up on it's breakfast location as this was most disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business