“Very disappointed”

Oriental Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 302 Restaurants in Dar es Salaam
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Sushi, Thai
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Oslo, Norway
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

I had heard that this was a good restaurant, but I guess it depends on what you compare it to. I understand they are famous for their sushi, but I went for ordinary Chinese: spring rolls to start and stir fried chicken. The spring rolls were crisp, but swimming in oil and came with a sweet chili sauce which tasted like it came out of a bottle. For a main course I had stir fried chicken with vegetables and cashews, The vegetables were over-cooked and soggy and everything was rather bland. You get better fare at your local take-away. I expressed my disappointment and was offered a free dessert. I chose the sorbets. Three balls of different sorbets in a cup. No sauce, no decoration, nothing. Twenty years ago you could get away with that, maybe, but in 2013 customers expect a little more finesse in an upscale restaurant. This just wasn't good enough. The price for my meal equalled the local minimum monthly salary.

• Visited February 2013

London
“Good variety and reasonable quality food - little more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

One of the great things about the restaurant is the variety on the menu. The food was good, not great. THe service was ok, not particularly fast or good. The prices were high, not too high. It's clean and quiet. I'd give it good reviews overall but not great reviews. How many places in Dar can you get Tom Yam soup along with Sushi and Chinese food? So, it's hard to complain but on the other hand this is not showing up with a Michelin star anytime soon.

• Visited December 2012
Centurion, South Africa
“Worth the price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

I loved this restaurant. Crab and asparagus soup was OK. Stir-fried seafood was excellent. Chocolate truffle cake with raspberry sauce (which I ordered from the other hotel restaurant, and which was delivered to my table at the Oriental without question) was spectacular. Relaxed, elegant atmosphere, excellent service. Surely one of the best restaurants in Dar - certainly the best I've tried myself.

• Visited October 2012
Nairobi
“Bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

Food and atmosphere is about the only things decent but then the service is the worst it took them more than an hr to get our drinks sorted for a table of 8.
Food, don't even ask we nearly missed our flight to Nairobi. Am in the car and fretting. Absolutely disgusting it took them 25min to get us our bill. No apologies. Hyatt or Kempinski some things never change.

Cary, North Carolina
“A bit pricey but worth the cost!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Excellent food, service, and ambiance. Is definitely a bit more pricey than other restaurants in Dar but not outrageous and in my opinion it is worth it for a special occasion.