“Amazing Location+Excellent Food + Good Service”

Hotel South Beach Resort Dar Es Salaam
Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 3 February 2014

the location is amazing for a overnight stay. the rain dance area, beach, pool tables,, etc. lot of things to do. very good indian food. the staff is good. room are ok but you dont want to stay indoors in a resort

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YOGESH B

Reviewed 2 January 2014

1. When we came back to the hotel after our safari trip, our key to the room didn't work. After waiting an hour they finally managed to open the door and we realised that the staff had stolen all our belongings - clothes, jewellery, shoes and money.

2. When we booked our stay we were informed that that the rest of the hotel was fully booked. When we arrived we were the only guests at the hotel.

3. We were advised not to leave the hotel area - not even to the beach in case of robbery or assault. (We realised that it was a strategy to make us spend all our money at the hotel, food, drinks, etc.

4. The food was terrible and we both ended up with food poisoning.

5. The hotel is not near the airport at all. You have to take a local ferry to get there. From the airport it takes at least 1 hour.

6. We found blood stains on our sheets several times.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank 231Magnus
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The less said the better. Loud all night. Terrible food. Rundown and delapidated rooms. One of the most uncomfortable stays I have had anywhere in the world. The music was so loud that could not sleep. I went to complain and they told me I should stay somewhere else. Well next time I will and I suggest the same to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Jan B
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I liked the discount we got while asking the price! Yet, it was good that the prices were up in the board though they were different in the website.
The hotel itself was clean and there was time for being quiet. Sadly we came during the music evenings (Sat and Sun). They would have been nice for the ones who like dancing: SO many different kinds of songs (Indian, Arabic, Finnish (Sandstorm), Bongo Flava. The service was good. Something to make better: the signs and road itself to the hotel! It was VERY hard to believe that there would be such a beautiful hotel and its view along that road! Thanks anyways!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Takala2013
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I like the view, great location lovely beach front, but I guess on weekends it's not a place you want to go to if you want some peace and quiet.
Ridiculously loud music, I guess its perfect for families and friends,,,but as a couple looking for some peace and quiet at a beach front..not so much.

The ancient TVs need to go, please invest in flat screens. The rooms needs more circulation and linen cleanliness and freshness is key.

I was not pleased with the level of room cleanliness.
Great food thought.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Loved staying here with my family. The staff and Management were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and inviting. The pool was gorgeous..and the beach so beautiful!!!

If you are travelling with children then I recommend this place.

There are a couple of things I would suggest the Management to improve on, one is to warn Customers not to drink water out of the taps in the bathroom in their rooms. It was explained to me later that the supply was from bore holes near by. However plenty of bottled water is supplied in the rooms. Secondly, my little Nephew got stung by a jelly fish in the sea while paddling, which was unfortunate, but we would have appreciated a warning beforehand, it would have saved us lot of panic. The Boy was well within about 20 mins. No damage was done. Ice and vinegar did the trick! The staff were very helpful. :o)

We felt happy and safe here.

Room Tip: The view from the 3rd floor is beautiful. The sunrises are memorising! :o)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ZBarnard
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I went to Hotel South Beach from 04.09.13 - 06.09. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made!
The hotel is surrounded by a high wall and has several security checkpoints you must go through. Around the property there are also several guards. This can probably sounds a little scary, but in Dar es Salaam, this is highly desirable. The staff have an excellent service, and you are particularly well treated. They are aware of you and your needs at any time.
I did not visit the restaurant while I was there, when I only had room service.
The rooms are lovely furnished with premium bedding, and pressure in the shower is particularly good to be in Tanzania.

I would recommend to order a taxi through the hotel both on arrival and departure, as this is the absolute safest and easiest, despite the fact that this is a good deal more expensive than finding oneself.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo