“Nice hotel, lots of horrible disgusting men on the beach.”

Ranked #80 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“Nice hotel, lots of horrible disgusting men on the beach.”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

After visiting the place for the day we decided to come back and book a room two weeks later. We stayed for two nights and really like the hotel.

We stayed in a hut on the beach and it was the first time in three months that we found hot water AND high water pressure at the same time. Fantastic!

The AC was working, but it was installed on the wall about 1 meter away from the bed which meant a constant draft. We ended up covering it with a towel.

The food is good but expensive and rice/potatoes have to be ordered separately. If you want a cheaper meal head over to the less fancy resort to the right where u can get fries and chicken for half the price.

Our only negative experience was that I felt EXTREMELY exposed and objectified during the whole time I was there.

Every single man who walked passed us on the beach gave me looks that both disgusted me and made me scared for my safety, and most of them didn't care if I noticed it or got upset. No matter what I was wearing or what I was doing it kept happening, over and over and over again.

The security guards working at the hotel didn't seem to notice, but I couldn't really blame them. My boyfriend didn't notice it either until I started pointing it out everytime it happened.

At one point I was on my own on a sun bed, reading a book, and a man stopped about 2 meters away from me, and just stood there, staring and making disgusting suggestions.

I tried to ignore him but he didn't go away and in the end I felt so angry and scared that I walked into our hut to get away from him. When I came outside again he was doing yoga just outside our hut, facing our door as if he was preparing to show off his body as I came out again.

At another time when we were going for a swim at a time when the beach was completely empty, some boys who were in the water some two hundred meters from us decided to start playing around us, competing and challenging each other to go as close to us as possible and even tried to touch me on several occasions. At first I figured they were just kids playing games and answered their hello's in a friendsly way but when they kept coming up to me (and not my boyfriend) over and over again to try and touch or grab me I just got so angry I splashed water all over them and screamed at the top of my lungs to get them to understand that it wasn't ok.

As soon as my boyfriend turned his back there would be at least one or two boys/men trying to get my attention or whatnot. I've never felt so objectified in my life. It literally made me cry from frustration and anger and completely ruined our experience. It has nothing to do with the hotel per se, but still.

I wouldn't recommend going here if you're female and want to let your guard down. Not even a burka and a 24/7 bodyguard could protect you.

Room Tip: The huts on the beach are really cozy, the one closest to the ocean felt a bit too close to the end...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sool9917
F0M_Sunrise_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Sunrise Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your amazing review.
We are very sorry for the troube caused

The service has been changed,& much more

Sunrise Beach Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here for 5 days in february and it was great. It was off season so had the whole place to ourselves virtually! We stayed in one of the camps which was simple but reasonably priced. The campsite has its own beach and that was our own for the 5 days. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Just make sure you go prepared with food to cook if that's what you plan to cook. There is an island just opposite which is just 15mins by boat ( Boats are available for hiring ). The island is a great place to explore, we were surprised to see a fresh water well on an island. The island itself has a long history from the slave trade times.
Great place to stay, beautfully chilled would love to go back sometime.

Room Tip: Must experience breakfast on the beach.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ruby V
F0M_Sunrise_Resort, Manager at Sunrise Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago

Sunrise Beach Resort.
Stone Town, Tanzania
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I needed a time a way from home and work. we had a wonderful experience in the past at Sunrise Beach Resort, so i decided to visit it again. This time Riaan Thiart an his team was exellent to make my stay an unforgettable life experience..... from breakfast till sundowners on the beach.... one word for this beach is i would say Amazing :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank John M

Taizhou, China
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was reading other reviews in this page and I just wondered to see some negative comments ,This is really a paradise , the service was amazing and the food was yummy . The beach frontage is so beautiful and was very clean . The rooms were well maintained and the atmosphere was very calm and cool . I really recommend this hotel when you are in Dar .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is my favorite hotel so far in Dar es salaam. Service was exceptional. The rooms are sensational and staff are very attentive, Great rooms,view ( just few meters from the ocean ),bed' towels, pillows, tv, and work desk!! Food was fantastic ( try the thermidor lobster dish, just out of the world ) and service with a smile! Beautiful white soft sand that you cant find anywhere else.
Room rate was low for the value!.Since we arrived till we left the hotel we were pampered!!
i could not ask for anything to make my stay any better. Perfect! I can't wait to go back. Located only 30 minutes from the airport..you can't go wrong!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ruby V

Mombasa, Coast, Kenya
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I visited this hotel with my family with the intention of spending a couple of nights.I had heard about the excellent beach frontage,It is true the beach frontage is nice.We however decided to have lunch prior to check in as we had arrived past 2.00pm.Lunch was a la carte,good but our enjoyment was cut short by a lot of cats,under the chairs,tables and some attempting to pounce on the table.It was dissapointing .The waiters heeded our complaints by trying to chase the cats away but they kept on returning.After the meal we decided not to book in this hotel because of the cats menace.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
F0M_Sunrise_Resort, General Manager at Sunrise Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago

Travellers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

Arusha, Tanzania
Reviewed 17 November 2013

If the service at the restaurant is not enough, the clean sandy beaches overlooking the Indian ocean is just breath taking. Oh yeah, don't forget the food, best tasting fried chicken I ever had while feeling the cool sea breeze and listening to the music from the pool side

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
F0M_Sunrise_Resort, Front Office Manager at Sunrise Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Safari-Tanzania-360
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a 5 star review. We were so excited to learn that you had a great visit with us! . Thanks, again, for the nice review and for letting everyone know about your great experience with us!