“Good Location for Business, but Showing Wear”

Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
Ranked #27 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Good Location for Business, but Showing Wear”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The reception desk staff are friendly but slow.
Internet, although free, kept going off line every few minutes, which was extremely annoying.
The selection available for the buffet breakfast was good.
The room was clean and comfortable and everything worked.
For those with the money, there is a helicopter service available from the licensed rooftop helipad

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear tropicopter,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We are very appreciative that you felt our comfortable rooms and breakfast selections was excellent. We offer our apologies that the staff service and internet were not what you had expected. Your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate people and department to take into consideration for improvements.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I arrived to the hotel around 2030 hours. Since there was only one, very slow, receptionist I had to wait for 15 minutes to check-in. I was given a room where the air-con clearly had not been serviced since it was installed. It smelled like a steam bath. In fact the entire floor smelled like a steam bath. I asked to change room and here the hotel showed itself from one of it's few good sides: Suleiman, the duty manager as far as I could tell, very quickly agreed to give me another room and even upgraded me to the Exec floor.
That room was much better, the aircon was working, the internet was fast, the curtains closed properly, it was quiet and the bed was good. However, there inexplicably was no mini-bar in either of the two rooms. A bit weird for a business hotel. There was a fridge but nothing in it. I then ordered room-service (a very very limited menu) and received a Chicken panini with fries - the entire dish was completely tasteless. I might as well have eaten wet paper. This food experience drew itself throughout my entire stay. The breakfast is done without any love. Bread is stale, juice is mixed with water, etc etc. Dinner in the restaurant tasted no different from the room service. I had a horrible seafood bisque and stale bread. It probably is the same chef.
In general, despite being a relatively new hotel, it is already tired and done completely without any attention to guest comfort in the common areas. The bar on the first floor is a depressing place, the breakfast area is depressing, etc etc.
For what it is, the prices are way too high. The exec room I was upgraded to is supposed to cost US$230. For US$15 extra you can stay in the Hyatt and feel like a King.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there, I would highly recommend an Exec Room.
5 Thank Charly W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Charly W,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience during your recent stay at our Hotel. We certainly apologize for the overall dissatisfaction of your stay.

Being our valued guest, your opinion and feedback is extremely important to us, as it will help us to further enhance and shape our service in delivering a truly memorable and authentic experience to our customers.

We do apologize that we were not able to accomplish your expectation of service and product this time and we have made note of the particular area you felt that we have room to improve. Specially we will coach our restaurant staff. All your suggestions have been addressed with our team.

We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose our Hotel for your future travel needs and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Yet another stay with Holiday Inn from 12th sept to 29th sept,Need not to mention again it was a wonderful and comfortable stay. The hotel as compared to other properties in Dar Es Salaam Tanzania is good but not the best because you are getting enough for the money which you are paying. This property is right in the business center of the city within reach of every corner.

Few points i would like to mention:

1. Front Desk Staff: Excellent specially Mr Ali and Mr. Ajinkya Really helpful.
2. Room Service: Was good, they gave a prompt reply whenever they are called.

however there seems to be only 1 point which they should change is the breakfast they serve you same breakfast everyday, they need to work on the same rest all the things are perfect.

Room Tip: One can ask for upgrade to executive rooms and the rooms on the higher floor sea facing.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
eclipse22, Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review of our hotel following your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you chose to stay with us again and that you found everything comfortable. I’m glad that you found our hotel very good value for money.

I was happy that you found our location ideal for your needs. Located in the bustling city center of Dar Es Salaam, we feel that we are in the perfect location for tourists experiencing this beautiful city, along with business people attending meetings and conferences in the city.

I was so very pleased to note that you have highlighted our staff, specifically Mr Ali and Mr Ajinkya, as an excellent aspect of your stay. I can assure you I will pass on these compliments to the team to galvanize them to continue their good work.

With regards to the breakfast offering, please be rest assured that we will be reviewing this aspect of our offering so to ensure that we are offering enough variety for our longer staying guests, such as yourself. I was glad that you enjoyed our room service and you were dealt with promptly.

Once again, many thanks for your kind comments and constructive feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future for another great stay.

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The hotel is conveniently located for business in town and is a relative value (posted rack rates of $139/night plus their 5% service charge), but it is already showing its age. Bathroom tiles are stained and the overall bathroom is poorly arranged and poorly lit. Linens are of low quality.

While the room has a good desk for working, it was impossible to get anything done in the room owing to the construction on the 5th floor. They started work at 8am and went until 9pm. Constant banging and noise. The front desk was aware of the issue, but refused to stop the work and only made half-hearted apologies.

The roof top is a good place for a drink, but seems to be overrun with prostitutes on some nights.

Room Tip: Stay as far away as possible from the 5th floor. I was on the 4th floor and could hear all of the c...
1 Thank EatinginDar
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear EatinginDar,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room conditions, and noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is in reality a business hotel. I would not recommend it for holiday makers in Dar.
The rooms are spacious with a good desk to work at with free wifi. It is in the city centre so if you are visiting Ministries and development agencies it is positioned well.
It has modern decor, which is, however, beginning to show its age. I found it clean and the staff friendly and helpful....as they should be!

The hotel restaurant is not highly recommended, only eat there if you cant be bothered to go some where else.

So as a business hotel it achieves it objectives, but will not exceed them. Hence the average score.

Room Tip: Being on a busy corner you will always hear traffic.
1 Thank Dtruth
eclipse22, Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I was pleased that you were able to stay with us and we met your expectations. However, I was disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion.

I was glad to note that you were able to take advantage of our free Wi-Fi offering and you found the room spacious and clean. I was also happy that you found all of our staff friendly and helpful. We pride ourselves on our exemplary customer service and the fact that you have highlighted this in your review comes as a great pleasure to me. I will pass on these comments to the whole team to act as a motivator for them to continue their good work.

I was disappointed to note that you would not highly recommend our restaurant and that you would also not recommend us to holiday makers. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss these comments in further detail with you in order to ascertain the areas that you feel require improvement. We take all feedback, whether positive or constructive, seriously so that we have every opportunity to improve the service that we provide to our guests. Therefore, I would be much obliged if you could contact me directly on guestservices@holidayinn.co.tz at your earliest convenience.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review of our hotel. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Holiday Inn is a secure affordable option if your travelling to Dar Es Salaam. Food is ok - Breakfast is average. Rooms are nice. Dont expect to much from the lounge.Centrally positioned if you have meetings in the City Center. The bar is ok, and the Resturant on the roof has a nice view.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joao P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I was pleased that you decided to stay with us.

I was glad to note that you found our central location ideal for your needs. Situated in the center of Dar Es Salaam, we are perfectly located for guests wishing to take in the sights and sounds of the city and visiting the area on business.

I was glad that you were able to take advantage of our breakfast offering; however I was disappointed to note that you only found it to be average. I will be discussing these comments with the Head Chef in order to ensure that our breakfast offering is to our usual high standards. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

I was also disappointed to note that you commented that you didn’t enjoy our lounge area. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this comment with you in further detail to ascertain the issues that you found. Therefore, I would be much obliged if you could contact me on guestservices@holidayinn.co.tz at your earliest convenience. However, I was happy that you enjoyed the beautiful views from our rooftop restaurant.

Once again, many thanks for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor and the feedback that you have provided to us. I look forward to hearing from you in due course. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I recently spent 4 days at this hotel and overall, I'm pleased to say that I had an enjoyable stay. Whilst there were a one or two negatives, these did not detract from my overall experience. The check-in process was efficient. My room was neat, clean and spacious. The wi-fi speed was good and consistent which was essential for me as a business traveler. The aircon worked which was a great plus for me. Housekeeping was efficient and serviced my room as per my requested time of day. The hotel location was ideal for many of my meetings and the staff were generally friendly and welcoming. The management was very hands on and approachable and this was really important to resolve any staff / service issues. The food in both restaurants was very good and of high quality. The hotel was certainly an oasis for me and I would certainly return on my next visit to Dar es Salaam.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
eclipse22, Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel following your recent departure from staying with us. I was pleased that you decided to stay with us and you enjoyed a pleasant visit.

I was happy to note that you found the staff very efficient, the room spacious and clean, the WiFi good and consistent and the air-conditioning great. I have passed on all of these comments to the team to galvanize them to continue their great work.

I was also pleased to note that you enjoyed both our restaurants and you found the food very good and high quality. Your comments will be passed on to the Chefs. I was also happy to read that you found our location ideal for your needs.

Once again, many thanks for your kind comments. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future for another pleasant stay.