“Inconsistent” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
Ranked #25 of 103 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I would really like to review this hotel better, but I was kind of disappointing. I've stayed at this hotel twice over the past two months and can't say I was impressed either time. On the plus side it is in a great location, right in the center of the city with nice staff. There is also a nice rooftop restaurant/bar with some decent options (however service is very slow) and great views of the city. Strange enough, they also advertise helicopter transport to the airport since they're the only building in Dar with a helipad on the roof! The breakfast buffet was average fare. On the negative side:

- walls are rather thin...you can often hear people in the other rooms talk at normal volumes
- not very much lighting; rooms seem dark. Some lighting fixtures need to be replaced.
- the A/C isn't the most efficient; sometimes the rooms smell mildew-y
- the bathrooms are very uninspiring and cramped; looks as though they were an afterthought. the mirrors in mine had scratches on it.
- TV doesn't get many stations, and most are poor quality
- WIFI isn't strong. In my room it only works when I'm standing near the door...in other places of the hotel it won't connect at all.
- carpets are worn and slightly dirty
- visible signs of wear/tear/age in hallways
- there is this green light in the rooms that faces the floors, while useful at night, is too bright!

Overall, if you need a nice-ish place to stay for a night at the end of a safari or beach vacation in Dar, the Holiday Inn should be fine. If you're staying for longer than 2-3 days, especially for business, I would suggest another hotel. The Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam just lacks finesse compared to other hotels in the area. Doubtful I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Friday and Saturday nights the hotel hosts a club with a DJ on the top floor, so I would request a r...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Eric D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Madurai, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

The hotel is located very close to the city center. You get lots of taxis from this place. The city center is walkable from this hotel. It has outdated equipment in GYM, sad experience for a people like me. The rooms are kept very clean, the service at the front desk is good and warm. The towels served wont be white unless you ask for it. So don't be surprised if you notice sub standard towels in your room. Request for a nice towels, you will get it. I stayed there for 5 days and did not find any change in the breakfast menu. You will find the same thing at the same place. One would wonder if that is fresh or old stuff. On the whole i wasn't very happy with gym, breakfast and towels and may be I missed a few more things. Please visit them to validate.

Room Tip: Please be specific about your likes for breakfast, towel quality and cleanliness. You might get bett...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear rduraikannan,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review about your visit. I am happy that our location was of convenience. However, please accept my apologies if this stay was less than satisfactory due to the condition of the gym facility and breakfast served. We take all feedback seriously and your comments will help us improve what we can offer to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is a good value stay if you use IHG points and as Platinum I enjoy the lounge and free breakfast in the restaurant downstairs, and usually a suite upgrade. Its not a luxury hotel for sure, but its where I always stay when in Dar on my way to a safari or beach holiday. Staff is friendly; reception is efficient; ATMs in banks are close by (although it was better several year sago when there was one in the hotel); the bar on the top floor is excellent for the views , drinks and entertainment; ferry is close, and other places you may want to go are not far away some by walking , some by taxi.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mahesh L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Gordonnomad,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn City Centre Dar Es Salaam!

I thank you so much for writing a beautiful review about our property on tripadvisor.com. We are happy to know that you have always been using our hotel for your stay in Dar ES Salaam and you have always found this hotel to be good because of the location, services and the friendly attitude of staff. It is good to receive good comments from our regular and loyal guests who stay with us more frequently. Our hotel is very well located such that it becomes convenient for all our business guests to move around in the city.

We hope to see you more often to use our facilities and services. We will try to make your stay more comfortable every time you stay with us.

Looking forward to meet you during your next visit to Dar Es Salaam.

Best regards,

Holiday Inn City Centre
Dar Es Salaam Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in holiday inn last month and I was very happily pleased because in Africa it is not easy to find such nice hotels.staff very friendly,very clean rooms, nice room service ,food very good ,private taxi, good location.everything very nice .

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mahesh L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Mariantontis,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn dar Es Salaam!

We would like to thank you for writing a review about Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam on tripadvisor.com It is good to know that you have enjoyed your stay at our property.

We look forward to see you again at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam on your next visit. We can assure you that we will strive to make your next visit more comfortable.

Best Regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a 4 day business trip to Dar Es Salaam travelling from the UK, the location was great, right in the city centre and close to the office I was visiting. This was my second visit to the hotel. The hotel in general was very comfortable and the staff were extremely friendly, recognising me after the first day. My room was very spacious and bright and although I used the air con at times I was also able to open the window which is rare now for some hotels I have stayed in. The room was serviced every day with clean towels replaced and bottles of water complimentary. The working desk was excellent and with free internet I could carry on my work in the evening. I used the laundry service and it came back the same day with shirts ironed and on hangers, very good service. I have stayed in many Holiday Inns and this one was very good, I particularly liked the roof top restaurant and bar with comfy sofas and a view of the whole city, very cooling in the evening with a nice breeze. I would recommend this hotel again and although a swimming pool would have been a nice addition the gym and plunge pool were sufficient for my stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Mr. Naveed,

Warm Greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

I am happy to know about your thoughts of Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam. We thank you for your excellent review of our property on tripadvisor.com. We are happy to see that you appreciate our services. It is always good to see our guests coming back to use our hotel and services once again. It reflects about your faith in Holiday Inn brand and particularly in our property at Dar Es Salaam. It is our constant endeavor to live up to your expectations and surpass them.

We look forward to see you again in near future, we will be happy to welcome you once again.

Geberal Manager
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and felt right at home - the rooms were spacious and beds very comfortable. We had breakfast there three of the nights - had very good selection. The dinner at their restaurant was excellent as well (once again a huge selection and various cuisines) to choose form, The roof top bar is a MUST to visit - great ambience! The location of the hotel is very central - easy access to all parts. We would definitely recommend to everyone and will be staying here if we visit Dar Es Salaam again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Mr. Vineet,

Warm Greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We thank you for your wonderful review of our property on tripadvisor.com. It was a great pleasure to hear that you like our food and the services especially the roof-top restaurant. We have a very good team in the kitchen that tries to give their best to prepare food as per the likes of the guests. Our breakfast buffet and the lunch buffet is always appreciated by the guests because of the huge selection and variety we offer.

We look forward to see you again in near future.

Ocean City, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

There are some nice hotels in Dar like the Kempinsky, which is where I normally stay. This time, I stayed at the Holiday Inn. Big mistake. For starters, the rooms smell mildewy. I hate that smell. Next, there's an ashtray in the room and you can tell by the smell in the room that it's been used. I really hate that smell. I could live with all that (but I'd never return), but what really got me is that the AC was broken. It blows air but it never got below probably 80 F in the room, in spite of repeated calls to the front desk and assurances that engineering would look into it. The rooms belong in a cheap motel, not a respectable chain like a Holiday Inn.

On the plus side, the buffet dinner was pretty good. But if you're looking for a comfortable stay, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure the AC is working.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MaxTheCard
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear MaxTheCard,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam. As a practice we try to sanitize all our guest areas with a disinfectant just before the rainy season so that harmful micro-organisms do not grow and get killed.
The smell that you have mentioned about is from this disinfectant that we have tried to use for the first time. We have realized that it leaves a strong after smell in the rooms. Hence we have stopped using this disinfectant and continue with our earlier system to prepare our rooms for the rainy season. I am also sorry about the air conditioning not working, because of power fluctuations leading to failure of the compressor.
We thank you for appreciating the buffet dinner. We can assure you of our best services at all times in future. We look forward to welcome you again at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

Best regards