“Adequate but not much more”

Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
Ranked #26 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Duluth, Minnesota
“Adequate but not much more”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Nothing special… a bit run down and some of the rooms need the carpet changed. I found the staff helpful but others haven't. The breakfast was good for a buffet with plenty of selections. A bit expensive for what you get but after staying at a few hotels in DAR they all are. For Dar Es Salaam this hotel is adequate.

Room Tip: try not to get the smoking rooms, unless you smoke I guess so thanks for sharing your nasty habit..
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Timothy M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Timothy M

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased to hear that you found our breakfast good.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the hotel and room condition may have caused you. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving our guest services.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I usually stay in the Southern Sun when in DAR, but it was full so our agent booked me in the Holiday Inn. It was only for two nights so I thought, how bad can it be?
Well....where to start. After a long day of meetings in Nairobi, flight to DAR and transfer to the hotel we arrived at around 8pm. I didn't have any time really before I had to go to my business dinner at the Hyatt, so just wanted to quickly change, freshen up, drop my luggage off and leave.
Sadly none of that was possible cause the rooms (was travelling with a colleague) weren't ready.
That already is pretty weak...if I rock up at 8am, fair enough...but at 8PM???
So we just dropped off the luggage and left for our dinner.
Got back from the dinner at around 11.30pm, got to the room (had an executive room or however they call it, on the top floors) FINALLY wanted to go for that shower I was waiting for the whole day, only to find out that unfortunately, the shower in my room was an optional extra...only three drops of BOILING HOT water came out and no matter what cunning tricks I tried ( I literally live in hotels for my work so I know a couple!) nothing worked.
Dead tired I didn't feel like calling reception about it, but did so the next morning. Called them with ONE simple question; does your gym have shower facilities? To which they couldn't reply...very weak again! I told them my shower wasn't working, and that it's insane to charge someone extra for a so called "Executive" room when there's nothing executive about it.
Went to the gym to find out for myself, and luckily there was -very filthy but ok, it was early morning so probably the cleaning staff hadn't arrived yet- a shower.

The breakfast was ok -let me say something nice-

I mentioned again the shower issue to the reception staff (not to mention the overall very tired and not very clean look of the room) and that I didn't agree to pay this amount for a room that is missing one VERY BASIC essential...a SHOWER!
When I came back in the evening I could see from the tools and rubble left in my bathroom that they had worked on the shower...switched it on and initially got all excited as it seemed to WORK! jumped in, and jumped out as quickly as I could as great, there was water pressure now, but still only boiling hot water coming out....no matter that I had the cold water tab wide open and the hot water closed (and yes I tried the other way around too, just in case someone had inversed the tabs)...so off to the gym I went again.
I had to leave early (5am)to the airport the next morning, but until 3am IMPOSSIBLE to sleep due to the very loud bar pumping music.
I had settled my bill the night before -stupidly- as I was seriously considering to walk out without paying and let our agent -who put all their staff in this hotel usually!- sort it out.

I got a symbolic discount of 20 USD per night, which was obviously quite a joke especially knowing what my colleague was paying -who is not a mzungu so I presume I just got the mzungu price right?- for exactly the same room (only that his shower was actually working).
Seriously, if your company wants to put you here, go on strike or quit.
I understand I can't expect the same quality as the Sankara Nairobi where I came from, or as from the Southern Sun DAR where I usually stay but still ,there ARE limits and 1) having a shower and 2) being able to SLEEP don't seem like outrageous demands to me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank FlyingGonzo_10
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear FlyingGonzo_10,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

Again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The roof-top bar was great. Comfy seating, reasonably-priced drinks etc but the staff were not particularly attentive - it was a lot quicker to go to the bar than to wait for a return visit from the table-service staff. We found the staff to be really unhelpful. A simple request for a taxi to the airport took over an hour and three calls to reception to arrange. I was taken ill in the middle of the night and had to make my own way to reception and then up to the roof bar with crippling stomach pain just to get some bottled water, as the 'room-service' was impossible.
I will say though that it was a convenient hotel for a last-night stay before heading to the airport. It was clean and the rooms were fine, but for a Holiday Inn.... the vast majority of the staff we dealt with spoke / understood very little English

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Clairey001
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Clairey001,

We appreciate you choosing our hotel and writing us a candid review. We’re delighted to read about the convenience of our location for your travel needs. Thank you very much for the positive comments regarding the cleanliness and rooms. On the other hand, I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with the level of service you received. As our valued guest, we thank you for your feedback as this is our best resource for focusing on improvements.

We would love the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Sleeping in the city of Dar Es Salaam for business. The hotel is adequate. The facilities are good for a hotel situated in the city.Food is excellent.Service is impeccable,Beautiful view from the sundeck on the 11th floor Bar on the roof and a meeting room with mostly glass walls allowing you great views. Breakfast and lunch are very good though meeting facilities rather poor.good services ever.

Room Tip: Vibrant atmosphere on the 11th floor,Although the hotel clearly needs renovation in most parts.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank crispaseve
Mahesh L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Crispaseve,,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

Thank you for a good review about our property on tripadvisor.com We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we appreciate your comments about the facilities, sun deck at the roof and also the breakfast. But we are sorry to know that you did not quite like the meeting facilities. We have been upgrading our meeting facilities constantly and recently we have renovated our Kibo suite and the Mawenzi suite which have been appreciated by all our corporate clients.
I look forward to meet you in person and show you the newly renovated meeting facilities and also to take more feedback about your expectations from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

warm Regards

Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Holiday Inn is well located in the city centre of Dar Es Salaam with familiar Hoilday Inn furnishing in all the rooms. Bar on the roof and a meeting room with mostly glass walls allowing you great views. Breakfast and lunch are very good though meeting facilities rather poor

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Mahesh L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Gavinareid,

Warm Greetings from Holiday Inn City Centre Dar Es Salaam!

We thank you for writing a review about our property on tripadvisor.com. We appreciate your good comments about the rooftop bar, breakfast and lunch buffet. The location is good but at the same time it is bit of a constraint to have large meeting rooms and conference facilities. We will still strive to live up to your expectations to improve our meeting room facilities.

We look forward to welcome you once again during your next visit to Dar Es Salaam.

Best regards

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Travelled to the city of Dar Es Salaam for business. The hotel is adequate. The facilities are good for a hotel situated in the city. The good is good. Although the hotel clearly needs renovation in most parts, its clean and offers its guests all the facilities required. The service isn't the greatest, but I guess that's expectant of the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank GusBehn
Dear Gusbehn,

Warm Greetings from Holiday Inn City Centre Dar Es Salaam!

We thank you for writing a review about our property on tripadvisor.com. We appreciate your good comments about the cleanliness and the facilities. The renovation of the property is currently being done in a phased manner as this is a functional property. In order to minimize the inconvenience to the resident guests, the pace of renovation is a bit slow. But w will soon complete the renovation of all the floors.

We are sorry for any inconveniences caused to you during your stay at the hotel. we look forward to welcome you once again during your next visit to dar Es Salaam.

Best regards

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Great hotel.Room is great.Food is excellent.Service is impeccable.Vibrant atmosphere on the 11th floor after 22:00. Beautiful view from the sundeck on the 11th floor.Shuttle departs for beach area at 10:30 daily.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the harbor side of the hotel that would be the South / Eastern side of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Mahesh L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Louis2,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

I thank you so much for the nice words you have written about our property here at Dar EsSalaam. All our efforts are always focused to surpass the expectations of our esteemed guests like you. The positive feedback from guests like you make us happy and we feel satisfied that we are moving in the right direction.
The Al Dar sheesha lounge and restaurant is one of the best places to be spend late evenings here in Dar Es Salaam. We also offer value added services like the shuttle to the beach which has always been appreciated by our guests. we are happy to know that you like our services.

We look forward to welcome you again at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam. We laso expect you to recommend our property to your friends and colleagues.

Best regards,