“It's good”

Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice hotel with welcoming staff and clean rooms ( apart from the carpet) there are 2 bars and the food is great however the breakfast is moderate with rubber eggs etc. The gym works and it has free wifi which is more hit then miss. Overall happy stay.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank damppants
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear damppants,

Let me first thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit. We are delighted to know that you had an overall good stay at our property and that you appreciate our accommodations and staff. However, it is unfortunate you were disappointed with the breakfast and wifi. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Free Wi-Fi and welcoming staff!!! Roof top restaurant to relax and clean rooms to stay! Value for your money too. Excellent facilities with Computers and very friendly IT Manager!!!!!
Duty Manager responds within minutes any time whether its day or night to resolve any issues no matter how trivial they are!!! Very happy - will definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear SriAgasthyaraju,

Warm Greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We appreciate your good comments about our property on tripadvisor.com. It was a pleasure to have you at our hotel and we are happy to see that you have enjoyed our services. You have specially mentioned about our roof top restaurant and IT services. Your comments about our It manager and the Duty manager are most welcoming and we will pass your comments to the concerned staff.

We are happy to see that you would definitely come back to Holiday Inn, Dar Es Salaam. We look forward to welcome you once again at Holiday Inn Dar.

P.O Box 3222
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Pros
- Good breakfast buffet
-Free Wifi
-Location i.e. good (relatively speaking)restaurants around.
-Good Ice Coffee
-Shuttle to airport
-Roof top bar is nice
Cons
-Staff is near remedial in terms of service.
-Complimentary water contains lead (yikes)
-WiFi is spotty (but has gotten better)
-Pool is dirty, furniture falling apart.
-Management seems to be lacking
-Food takes forever and is mediocre at best (besides breakfast)
This was my third time staying at this hotel and to be honest, I can't compare it to other hotels in the area (as I have only stayed here). First thing to remember is that not only is this Africa, it is Tanzania (so everything takes extra long). Be sure that breakfast is included in the fare when you book. Also, if you reserve with a credit card, expect that card to be charged as no one knows how to process a refund or charge alternatively.
I usually take the shuttle from the airport, its $25. If you don't have a lot of luggage negotiate with a taxi usually around TSH30,000 which is around $15.
Check in is easy, but you must assert yourself when others are around to make sure you get served otherwise you will never be helped. Also, ask for a power adapter, they have plenty if you didn't bring one. One thing you will notice is the endless amount of blank stares you receive from the staff, just make you sure you both understand and agree on whatever it is you are discussing, otherwise you will be on the losing end. (This is mostly just a tip for being in Africa).
On my most recent stay I was put on the 10th (executive) floor. The Wi-Fi signal was absent, but the hotel had me covered, either plug in the Ethernet cable (very fast) or request that a router be sent up to your room. If you have a router sent to your room, make sure you save as a public network, because they are not password protected (any one can sign on to it, or password protect it if you know how log into routers). The hardwired cable was surprisingly fast, I was able to download at 4 Mb/s (nerd for fast enough).
The rooms are actually decent, and the sleep is quiet. Each room comes with a water pot and instant coffee which is nice when waking up. One thing I noticed immediately was that the complimentary water contained lead. Some people may not care, but I just went down the street and bought jugs of Ohai water. The breakfast buffet is really the best part of the stay in my opinion. There is wide selection of fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, a bevy of hot food and an omelet station. In addition, there is a coffee/tea cart that comes around to serve you.
Another cool feature of this hotel is the catering to tourists; you can book all kinds of expeditions, including safaris and beach trips. They even offer free transportation to the Jangwani Beach Resort, however don't be fooled by the advertisements for it, as the resort itself is run down (TIA). Funny story about the transportation; We inquired about how we could book the trip, the staff asked what time we wanted to go, we said 1030 am(knowing that we would probably leave closer to 11). A British couple that wanted to go also asked about it after us. The staff told them that we would be leaving at 10 am. The reality of the situation is that the driver didn't show up til' 11 am (TIA). We ordered our food as soon as we got there (1140ish) because we know how Tanzania is ( we didn't get our food until 1 pm (TIA)). The other couple ordered french fries at 1230, they didn't get them til 130 pm. They were pretty upset about it, because they figured (rightly so) that they were just french fries, how on earth could it take that long (TIA). It is all about expectations...
One thing I didn't appreciate was how complacent the staff was, I mean most of them were really nice, but effectively useless when it came to helping. They charged both my card and another person's card in our party on two different transactions (still dealing with the bank on this). You just have to remember where you are and expect that nothing will be what you expect at almost every turn. Also don't even bother with the gym or the pool, the gym is falling apart and you see what look like little black marks on the bottom of the pool (actually piles of dirt in the water).
Bottom line: I booked here because I am an IHG member, when I come back to Dar, I think I will try another one of their locations, not that I expect any better, but I may as well find out. I would recommend this place if it is your first time or have had a bad experience in Tanzania, because I must admit it is a comfortable stay. Also, if you do stay here try rhapsody's for dinner (about 10 min walk).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Mahesh L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear RandomWhiteDude,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn City Centre Dar ES Salaam, Tanzania.

We thank you for writing such a detailed review about our property on Trip advisor.com. I must appreciate your eye for detail as you have been very observant in looking at the issue minutely. I appreciate your understanding of various situations. We have take a not of all the points raised in your review and we will certainly look into the problems and the concerned department heads have been asked to take remedial training sessions with the staff so a to make our guests more comfortable during their stay at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam. Jangwani is another business entity which we offer as an additional facility for entertainment of our guests.
We apologize for all the inconveniences caused to you during your stay here. We assure you that we will take measures to stop recurrence of any such problems to all guests.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Beautiful clean rooms , good service, good breakfast. Nice clean pool cannot really think of anything bad to say.
Much higher standard to other holiday inns I have stayed in.astoria restaurant around corner for great food

Room Tip: Beautiful clean rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mr. Sawant,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn City Centre Dar Es Salaam!

We thank you for such a good review about our property on tripadvisor.com. We appreciate your comments, we will share the same with our team.

Looking forward to see you again at Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel frontline staff was very courteous and very helpful, room was much comfortable and view to city,restaurant at rooftop was awesome experience. Gym at hotel is Gud, for tourists hotel
Has especial beach

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mr. rao,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn City Centre Dar Es Salaam!

We thank you for such a good review about our property on tripadvisor.com. We appreciate your comments about the front line staff and our reef top restaurant, we will share the same with our team.

Looking forward to see you again at Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here in March of 2013.Everywhere else was fully booked. my hotel driver didn't pitch to the airport to pick me up and they still tried to charge me for it. Got to the hotel and there was a power outage so i couldn't get into my room for about 2 hours.That didn't bother much since TIA.Eventually got up to my room and was taken aback by the filthy bathroom towels. Then the were the signs that advised not to use the tap water. That really just ruined my 2 day stay even though everything else was good. Never bothered with this place again.Maybe things are better, don't know.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Terry B
Mahesh L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Mr. Terry B,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We thank you for your review posted on TripAdvisor. We apologize for the inconveniences caused to you during your visit to Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam in March 2013. But it gives me immense pleasure to inform you that we have changed a lot since March 2013. We do have two airport representatives at the Airport to welcome our guests, coordinate with our drivers and facilitate movements of all our esteemed guests at the airport. This has improved our services and has been appreciated by all our guests. The room linen has been changed since then and we have a new generator in place as a back-up for power failures.
I would request you to use our services once again and feel the difference. Looking forward to see you soon at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed in the holiday inn in Dar Es Saalam following a month travelling in Tanzania and it did feel very luxurious. The room was clean and air conditioned, there was a small gym and I used the fitness facilities and spa facilities and the service was excellent. There is a good ground floor Restaurant selling european cuisine and a fantastic roof top bar with alcoholic drinks and shisa as well as buying snack food, make sure you wear deet on the top floor I was bitten to death by mosquitoes.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sarah P
Mahesh L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Sarah,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We would like to thank you for writing an excellent review about Holiday Inn Dar Es Salam on tripadvisor.com We appreciate your feed back about our services and cuisine. We feel happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn. The Roof Top Bar and Sheesha lounge is the best place to be in the evenings but due to the rainy season there were extra mosquitoes but now the rains have stopped and it is quite good in the evenings.

We look forward to see you again on your next visit to Dar Es Salaam.

Best regards