“You can only score on the experience at the time” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre

Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
Ranked #26 of 103 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
UK
“You can only score on the experience at the time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

To use trip advisor correctly the point is to score the hotel as you find it during the stay
This hotel is very poor
We had no hot water for 2 days and despite complaining each time the excuse was the boiler was broken and it will take several days to push the hot water through the system-pathetic statement from management
The wireless internet is a disgrace and should never be charged for
TV less than useless
Breakfast plenty of stale and mouldy items

200 USD a night plus-plus is just not good value for money- find another hotel

To the management- I have noted your usual excuses when replying to trip advisor comments, please save them for some one else, with me you are wasting your time
I will be escalating this to HI International and let them know how you treat gold members

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GSPS
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear GSPS,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences caused to you during your stay at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam. We had a problem with our hot water systems due to sudden surge in the electric voltage in the area. Our fuel operated boiler was working but the pumps could not circulate the hot water. Some of our essential equipment's stopped working because of this surge in voltage. Unfortunately our back-up system also stopped working at the same time.

Now i can confirm that the hot water systems have been restored and we do not have any issues pertaining to hot water.
Our wi fi is always free to all our in house guests. We do not charge for wi fi. The TV's are working fine.
I am sorry to hear about the breakfast, because all our guests have appreciated the wide variety of morning bakeries that are displayed nicely during the morning breakfast. We have an in-house bakery and all our morning bakeries are baked fresh and consumed the same day. The hot dishes are also cooked in the morning.
Our breakfast is always fresh and has been liked by all our guests.

I would like to meet you in person on your next visit t Dar Es Salaam. I request you to let me know about your travel plans next time and i will be happy to extend all due courtesies to you on your next visit as a part of our service recovery.
Looking forward to see you again at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

Best regards
Mahesh Chander Langoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Dar Es Salaam Region, Tanzania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel itself is well presented and the beds seem clean etc. But what no one mentions here is that the whole hotel smells of mold. The first indication I got was in reception and then in the room it is overpowering. Its is in every corridor and every area of the hotel. You cant get away from it. It comes through the A/C too. There was no hot water in the morning either. This hotel need a complete refurbishment. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank marcus b
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear marcus b,

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Loughborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped here as I'm a IHG member on company business, got to say this hotel is over priced.
Reception staff were friendly.
Stopped on the executive floor room 904, the room was clean, but carpet was stained and black round the edges.
My only real complaint about the room was that some days there was no hot water for showering.
Breakfast is adequate but service for coffee or tea is slow.
Laundry service was good and returned the same day.
Overall my stay was adequate.
I'm due to return again in August so hopefully the hot water problem in this hotel will improve.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Colin8358,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at our property. There was a sudden and unfortunate surge in the electricity supply which caused our hot water systems collapsed. Even the heating elements in our back-up hot water tank also broke down. We have sorted out the problem of hot water and i can now confirm that the electrical systems ahve been restored and there is abundant supply of hot water in the hotel.
With regards to the mould smell, it is the smell of a special approved germicide we use to keep away all germs and insects. The germicide sometimes leaves an after smell for some time and it becomes difficult to remove this smell as our intention is to keep the germs/insects away.

The point for slow breakfast service has been taken well and the concerned managers of the restaurant have been briefed to improve this.

We look forward to see you soon at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

Best regards

clawson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice hotel with welcoming staff and clean rooms ( apart from the carpet) there are 2 bars and the food is great however the breakfast is moderate with rubber eggs etc. The gym works and it has free wifi which is more hit then miss. Overall happy stay.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank damppants
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear damppants,

Let me first thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit. We are delighted to know that you had an overall good stay at our property and that you appreciate our accommodations and staff. However, it is unfortunate you were disappointed with the breakfast and wifi. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Free Wi-Fi and welcoming staff!!! Roof top restaurant to relax and clean rooms to stay! Value for your money too. Excellent facilities with Computers and very friendly IT Manager!!!!!
Duty Manager responds within minutes any time whether its day or night to resolve any issues no matter how trivial they are!!! Very happy - will definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear SriAgasthyaraju,

Warm Greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We appreciate your good comments about our property on tripadvisor.com. It was a pleasure to have you at our hotel and we are happy to see that you have enjoyed our services. You have specially mentioned about our roof top restaurant and IT services. Your comments about our It manager and the Duty manager are most welcoming and we will pass your comments to the concerned staff.

We are happy to see that you would definitely come back to Holiday Inn, Dar Es Salaam. We look forward to welcome you once again at Holiday Inn Dar.

P.O Box 3222
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Pros
- Good breakfast buffet
-Free Wifi
-Location i.e. good (relatively speaking)restaurants around.
-Good Ice Coffee
-Shuttle to airport
-Roof top bar is nice
Cons
-Staff is near remedial in terms of service.
-Complimentary water contains lead (yikes)
-WiFi is spotty (but has gotten better)
-Pool is dirty, furniture falling apart.
-Management seems to be lacking
-Food takes forever and is mediocre at best (besides breakfast)
This was my third time staying at this hotel and to be honest, I can't compare it to other hotels in the area (as I have only stayed here). First thing to remember is that not only is this Africa, it is Tanzania (so everything takes extra long). Be sure that breakfast is included in the fare when you book. Also, if you reserve with a credit card, expect that card to be charged as no one knows how to process a refund or charge alternatively.
I usually take the shuttle from the airport, its $25. If you don't have a lot of luggage negotiate with a taxi usually around TSH30,000 which is around $15.
Check in is easy, but you must assert yourself when others are around to make sure you get served otherwise you will never be helped. Also, ask for a power adapter, they have plenty if you didn't bring one. One thing you will notice is the endless amount of blank stares you receive from the staff, just make you sure you both understand and agree on whatever it is you are discussing, otherwise you will be on the losing end. (This is mostly just a tip for being in Africa).
On my most recent stay I was put on the 10th (executive) floor. The Wi-Fi signal was absent, but the hotel had me covered, either plug in the Ethernet cable (very fast) or request that a router be sent up to your room. If you have a router sent to your room, make sure you save as a public network, because they are not password protected (any one can sign on to it, or password protect it if you know how log into routers). The hardwired cable was surprisingly fast, I was able to download at 4 Mb/s (nerd for fast enough).
The rooms are actually decent, and the sleep is quiet. Each room comes with a water pot and instant coffee which is nice when waking up. One thing I noticed immediately was that the complimentary water contained lead. Some people may not care, but I just went down the street and bought jugs of Ohai water. The breakfast buffet is really the best part of the stay in my opinion. There is wide selection of fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, a bevy of hot food and an omelet station. In addition, there is a coffee/tea cart that comes around to serve you.
Another cool feature of this hotel is the catering to tourists; you can book all kinds of expeditions, including safaris and beach trips. They even offer free transportation to the Jangwani Beach Resort, however don't be fooled by the advertisements for it, as the resort itself is run down (TIA). Funny story about the transportation; We inquired about how we could book the trip, the staff asked what time we wanted to go, we said 1030 am(knowing that we would probably leave closer to 11). A British couple that wanted to go also asked about it after us. The staff told them that we would be leaving at 10 am. The reality of the situation is that the driver didn't show up til' 11 am (TIA). We ordered our food as soon as we got there (1140ish) because we know how Tanzania is ( we didn't get our food until 1 pm (TIA)). The other couple ordered french fries at 1230, they didn't get them til 130 pm. They were pretty upset about it, because they figured (rightly so) that they were just french fries, how on earth could it take that long (TIA). It is all about expectations...
One thing I didn't appreciate was how complacent the staff was, I mean most of them were really nice, but effectively useless when it came to helping. They charged both my card and another person's card in our party on two different transactions (still dealing with the bank on this). You just have to remember where you are and expect that nothing will be what you expect at almost every turn. Also don't even bother with the gym or the pool, the gym is falling apart and you see what look like little black marks on the bottom of the pool (actually piles of dirt in the water).
Bottom line: I booked here because I am an IHG member, when I come back to Dar, I think I will try another one of their locations, not that I expect any better, but I may as well find out. I would recommend this place if it is your first time or have had a bad experience in Tanzania, because I must admit it is a comfortable stay. Also, if you do stay here try rhapsody's for dinner (about 10 min walk).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mahesh L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear RandomWhiteDude,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn City Centre Dar ES Salaam, Tanzania.

We thank you for writing such a detailed review about our property on Trip advisor.com. I must appreciate your eye for detail as you have been very observant in looking at the issue minutely. I appreciate your understanding of various situations. We have take a not of all the points raised in your review and we will certainly look into the problems and the concerned department heads have been asked to take remedial training sessions with the staff so a to make our guests more comfortable during their stay at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam. Jangwani is another business entity which we offer as an additional facility for entertainment of our guests.
We apologize for all the inconveniences caused to you during your stay here. We assure you that we will take measures to stop recurrence of any such problems to all guests.

Pune, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Beautiful clean rooms , good service, good breakfast. Nice clean pool cannot really think of anything bad to say.
Much higher standard to other holiday inns I have stayed in.astoria restaurant around corner for great food

Room Tip: Beautiful clean rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
Dear Mr. Sawant,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn City Centre Dar Es Salaam!

We thank you for such a good review about our property on tripadvisor.com. We appreciate your comments, we will share the same with our team.

Looking forward to see you again at Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam.