“Eating out is always better.”
Review of Alcove Restaurant

Alcove Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 324 Restaurants in Dar es Salaam
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome! Since 1987 we have been serving our patrons in the City Centre of Dar es Salaam. We look forward to seeing you at The Alcove .
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It is always my policy that I eat outside the Hotel every evening I am free. this Thursday evening after a busy day I took a taxi and the driver took me to this place. I like fish so I ordered sea food, served with chips!
It was great!
Service was good.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My friend's parents recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary here. It was an intimate dinner with close friends and they had invited us to the Alcove. It's a wonderfully located restaurant in Sea Cliff Hotel, one of the better known hotels in Dar. It's at the end of the road which houses most consulates and diplomatic high commissions, and the drive along the sea is splendid.

We had veg food, since our hosts were vegetarian. Great portions, nice taste and this place actually does not keep you waiting too long after you've placed your order (thank God, as most restaurants in Dar rate very low on service and turn around time)

It was raining that evening so we were seated inside, but they have a small garden where tables are laid out and you can enjoy sitting outside in the cool breeze during pleasant weather.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Halidery Plaza is an unlikely setting for this pleasant Indian restaurant on the second floor, but the outdoor rooftop terrace is a nice cool setting for an evening meal with nice views of the city.
The selection of dishes is good and reasonably priced, though I sense they're used to diners with western tastes as I asked for my sauce to be hot and spicy, but it was very mild.
Service was reasonable and friendly and my crab masala with pilau rice well cooked, though rather mild. The house wine is reasonable. A nice place to get away from the hustle of the busy city streets with a nice atmosphere and good food.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Though the food is generally good in Alcove, but I often suffer from indigestion after eating their food. I have come to this conclusion now that I should no longer eat there since I find their food often too rich.

I am an Indian and usually enjoy light food (though I agree it is not typical of an Indian) and their food is often too creamy and rich.

If you are into heavy meals you will love it; however, if you are like me, you may want to keep a lot of Gavascon handy!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Lovely place for a good business or family meal. Food is delicious. Service is quite efficient and polite. Supervision of staff is quite competent. Prices, though a bit on the higher side, still offer value for money. The restaurant's location by the sea, makes it a very relaxing experience for its clientele. All in all, a place that can be easily recommended to others. Its Chinese garlic prawns were simply heavenly !!!